Greenhouses: Off-Season Play

Does anyone know if these things are designed to be left outside (as pictured on the main event page) or would the sun and rain destroy the plastic cover and metal tubing? They seem too cheap to be that durable, wondering if they’re really meant to live in a garage or something.

Hello, greenhouse manager here :slight_smile:

This is definitely meant to be left outdoors, but it’s cheap as dirt so I wouldn’t expect it to last a ridiculously long time. Clear poly material is usually treated like a consumable. Regular thickness will get you 2-3 years before it starts to get uv embrittlement and tear easily, I’ve got some woven poly (looks like tarp material, but is translucent white) that managed 5 years before I replaced it.

Long story short, you can buy this as a hobbyist, but it will be “used up” after a couple seasons. As for why you would use it indoors… it wouldn’t be as useful for that as it has no reflective coatings, no light fixture mounting, drainage, or anything. It’s basically a glorified tent to trap solar heat and has a couple useful looking racks.

Sam

Will this work in the winter in places where it snows lightly? I am interested, but want to confirm that it can be used year round in a place that has all 4 seasons. Also, has any one had any experience with this company or these products? Thanks.

Also, I notice the frame is powder coated, not galvanized steel, so after those 2-3 years usage, it may not be worth re-covering. Keep in mind you’re looking to trap humidity in a greenhouse.

Everything in my houses is hot-dip galvanized, aluminum, or stainless steel. Even so, the mesh of the bench surface is getting rusty after about 5 years, and some of the cheaper stainless fittings are getting rust spotting.

That said, this thing is so cheap, even if you only got two years out of it, that’s still just $60/year to have a mini greenhouse.

These look like they would make excellent cold frames for hardening off seedlings - or even starting seedlings depending on your location. The weight looks awfully light, so be prepared to anchor it into the ground if you are going to leave it out for any length of time.

Agree with Samwich about indoor use - however, depending on what you are growing :slight_smile: these might be good for helping maintain humidity in a basement grow room. Put a few clip fans in there and some LED lights and you have an orchid paradise. Or paradise for some other plant…

You can, but I’d watch it carefully if you want to grow anything tropical.

One thing you can do for free heat in the winter is heavy black plastic bags or buckets spray painted black in the bottom/northeast filled with water. They warm up during the day and radiate heat at night.

You can monitor the temps for free by sticking a thermometer in there and checking in the mornings just before dawn (this will get you your absolutel lowest temp), or get a cheap wireless weather station and put the remote sensor in there ($20-30), it’ll usually have a daily min/max on there.

LOL sounds like Samwich and I are on the same page here!

I grow orchids (hence my user name) in a greenhouse in Michigan. Depending on your crop and location, you could use this year around. It’s harder to cool a greenhouse than it is to heat it. If you live in a sunny area, it would get VERY hot inside in summer, because there isn’t a top vent to let out the hot air. In winter, obviously, you might have to be tricky to keep it warmer - like putting buckets of water and perhaps some rocks in there as a heat sink (heat during the day, release their heat at night).

It wouldn’t work for me, but in an area with only light frost, you could raise your USDA zone a notch or two probably. Just IMO.

Hello Woot! customers,

We, the manufacturers of this item, can guarantee that these greenhouses are specifically designed for outdoor use. Our greenhouses feature galvanized steel to prevent rusting and strong Heavy Duty Plastic cover to withstand rainy weather.

For the non-kids greenhouses, can I use the greenhouse without the shelves? I have some tall plans that are too big for the shelves.

Definitely, the shelving can easily be removed to accommodate tall plants.

So, can this item withstand snowfall? If so, to what level?

It will certainly hold up to light snowfall thanks to its Heavy plastic cover which is 10mm vs. 08mm by other greenhouse companies.

So, at what amount of snowfall coming down would require taking these things down, assuming we clear it off of snow after each snowfall? What material is the cover made out of?

We do recommend that when expecting a big snowstorm to put it under cover. Our covers made out of 10mm Heavy Duty Plastic.

This is really cool!! But, here in Chicago it would never survive the winds (or rats, possums, lil bunnies, squirrels, cats & so on…). Really nice though ;D

BTW, anyone know if it could survive such hazards???

Can the bottom be taken off to accomodate a newly planted tree?

Well, our greenhouses are designed with zipper coverage and sealed till the bottom to keep out those pests!!

Sure enough the bottom of our greenhouses are designed to accomodate newly planted trees.

We live in the NE Kingdom of Vermont (which is the snowiest part). I’m afraid we might have a different definition of “big snowstorm”. :wink: Anything less than a foot is not big here. Would you be meaning 6" or maybe 4"?

I saw that it is 10mm HD Plastic. I was wondering what type of plastic. I’m looking for something non-PVC, since I don’t like the toxic load of PVC.