GreenPan Cookware

So all aluminum? Not good for induction cooktops then (which is what I have).

Are the bottoms of these pans smooth or ridged? Looking for a ceramic pan with a smooth bottom so as to not scratch glass cook-top.

Does anyone have any familiarity with these? Is the coating strong enough so that you can use metal utensils?

Here’s info on hard anodized cookware

Reviews on similarly coated pans on Amazon state that you can absolutely not use metal utensils, never above medium heat and cannot let them soak in the sink or you’ll ruin them. Even then there’s lots of people claiming to have babied their pans as stated above and the coating still chips off like all other non-stick cookware.

Uh, Thunder that article you referenced is pure nonsence. Anodizing is the process of creating aluminum oxide into and on the surface of aluminum and other metals. It is done in an acid bath with dc voltage applied with the aluminum object being the anode or + side of the dc applied voltage. Anodizing is naturally white in color, the colors you see in various products i.e. black red, blue, gold etc is the result of dye.

Depending on the process and acids used it can be smooth (shiny)or more porous (matte) and more or less in thickness of the anodizing.

The only thing that anodizing offers in ceramic coated cookwear is that anodizing creates a more porous surface for better adhesion of whatever coating is applied, be it teflon non-stick or ceramic. The anodizing itself is not very stable thermally and will crack from heat, it does enhance wear resistance over plain aluminum.

For the laymen reading this think of anodizing as artifically created aluminum rust.

Hmmmmm.

[youtube=wznjAhZ0eWc][/youtube]

That’s it? I don’t even get a quality post out of all that pecking on my galaxy note? (sigh)

Better?

GreenPan. The former chairman of the Federal Reserve.

Oooooh, I think my pecking finger just got better lol. Thanks

FYI, buyer be aware! When these first came out a number of articles were written explaining why the coating, though a good ceramic, had problems with cracking and loss. They explained about the differences in the expansion and contraction properties/differences between the ceramic coating and the substrate, in this case aluminum. Even when all materials used are of the highest quality, if the ceramic coating’s expansion and contraction properties differ enough from that of the substrate material, the constant stresses exerted between the materials by this disparity hampers the coating’s ability to maintain it’s integrity, resulting in it cracking and chipping.