Guard Dog ProShield 2 Bulletproof Backpack

This is a great idea for a product, but people need to understand that this is not “bulletproof”. It is bullet resistant. The NIJ rating is a high rating for soft armor, higher than what I wore daily as a police officer. It is a potential lifesaver, and a product I would love to have, just know it’s limitations.

The mothership lists a weight of 1.2 pounds. That’s lighter than toting around 4 unabridged versions of war and peace for similar protection.

I just got mine…one pure 'backpack" feature I like about it, are the sides…they don’t have side pockets…they don’t have drink holder pockets…they have side pockets AND drink holder pockets!!!

Has anybody used these in an airport? Do you get extra scrutiny? Or is just accepted that some travelers want a little extra protection?

The tsa would likely not even recognize it as more than a backpack. They’re looking for things that can harm others so I would not expect this to raise any flags. Say they did realize it is armored… They may double check you for not having anything that has offensive capabilities but barring other circumstances I would not expect an issue.

NIJ LEVEL IIIA:

(.44 Magnum; Submachine Gun 9mm). This armor protects against .44 Magnum, Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets with nominal masses of 15.55 g (240 gr.) impacting at a velocity of 426 m/s (1,400 ft/s) or less and against 9mm full-metal jacketed bullets with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr.) impacting at a velocity of 426 m/s (1,400 ft/s) or less. It also provides protection against most handgun threats as well as the Level I, IIA, and II threats. Level IIIA body armor provides the highest level of protection currently available from concealable body armor and is generally suitable for routine wear in many situations. However, departments located in hot, humid climates may need to evaluate the use of Level IIIA armor carefully.

Taken from-https://www.officerstore.com/images/nijspec2.htm

Here is the official technical specs of this type of body armor -->

Type IIIA (.357 SIG; .44 Magnum)
Type IIIA armor that is new and unworn shall be tested with .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose
(FN) bullets with a specified mass of 8.1 g (125 gr) and a velocity of 448 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1470
ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and with .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets with a specified
mass of 15.6 g (240 gr) and a velocity of 436 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s).
Type IIIA armor that has been conditioned shall be tested with .357 SIG FMJ FN bullets
with a specified mass of 8.1 g (125 gr) and a velocity of 430 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1410 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)
and with .44 Magnum SJHP bullets with a specified mass of 15.6 g (240 gr) and a velocity of
408 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s).

Hope this also helps in your purchase decision, and no I do not work for Woot but I like helping people know the facts before buying something especially a life saving device!