GUNNAR Optiks RPG Gaming/Computer Eyewear

Is it for nearsightedness? Why there is no parts for you to enter your degree?

If you have eye strain problems you should probably get a decent monitor and office setup. I’m buying a pair of these just to look like a douche at the office.

Just curious, but TAG Heuer has invented a ton of research into pale yellow lenses for night time eye fatigue relief for racing-car drivers. (Source; Our Universes : Ambassadors, Tennis, Motorsports, Golf - TAG Heuer®). My question is, is this basically the same technology at a fraction of the price or is this something completely different?

No, they are plain lenses although there is a minute amount of magnification according to Gunnar.

From the gaming community - Please dont buy these to look cool, you just make the gaming community as a whole uncool and we’re trying very hard to move up in the world.

But if you have significant eye strain from your monitor and for some reason refuse to lower the brightness (??), then maybe these are for you? Even this seems to be a bit of stretch since it doesnt say this anywhere in the details nor is this an FDA approved device for eye strain reduction (likely the reason why it doesnt mention any strain reduction in the details).

/shrug…

Sorry but I call BS alert. If you had in fact been a “research scientist” at B&L you would know that these are for blocking BLUE light which is what causes the symptoms of CVS (computer vision syndrome) a very real affliction. Your computer being “too bright white” has nothing to do with it. As a pilot involved with Aerospace medicine, I have used RayBan pioneered yellow lensed haze and high altitude glasses before switching over to RayBan’s Ambermatics when introduced back in the 1970s and have worn them ever since, for flying and driving, for the very same reasons. I also have several pairs of Foster Grant computer readers as I prefer the more amber lense color to the brighter more yellow colors like these, but the effectiveness is the same. The science behind them is proven and has been for over 40 years, and was, as I said pioneered by RayBan/Bosch & Lomb. It is unfortunate that the Ambermatics were discontinued when RayBan was bought by Luxotica.

I have some fairly large, but normally comfy gaming headphones. When I use the glasses and the headphones, the area behind my ears where my glasses rest are sore within a couple hours.

Unless you have a CRT monitor, these are useless. At the call center I used to work at, I had a CRT as my second monitor and would frequently get bad migraine headaches. I got some Gunnar’s and whether it was placebo effect or they actually worked, I didn’t get as many headaches.

If you have LCD monitors and you find you get eyestrain or headaches, download f.lux (http://justgetflux.com/) and it will resolve all of your problems for free.

I have been a skeptic for sometime. I read as much as I could on these and it seems that they work for some and don’t for others.
Flu.x is an alternative, viable but I don’t know if everyone has the access at their work PC’s to get it. In my case - HECK NO.

Now I bought these off of Amaz. at around 50 bucks. I was curious, and I saw them at Best Buy and thought, what the heck.

They work for me. Reduced eye strain, to the point when I finish a good session behind the PC my eyes are not at fatigued, tired, nor rubbed to redness.
I am purchasing another pair from here just to have one set at work and one set at home.
They work for me - if its the placebo effect, so be it, my eyes thank me and the price is right.
KCL

I use f.lux on all of my machines and have experienced zero improvement in eye strain or headaches related to computer use.

Going to give these a whirl and see if they help.

Stopped reading there.

Eyes don’t see in FPS.

On topic: I wear glasses so I can’t use any pair of gunnars unless I get a prescription for it, which are like $300; way out of my budget to even see if they help reduce my eye fatigue.

As for f.lux, I tried it once. Once. It was absolutely disgusting. Granted, I tried it at about 4AM at default settings, so I could’ve calibrated it not to yellow so severely, but I couldn’t be bothered. I’d personally rather wear glasses that surround the eyes to keep moisture in and also help reduce glare and that ‘blue’ light emission. FWIW, I don’t get headaches at all despite using my PC at least 16 hours a day, my eyes just get damn tired after a while, especially when I try to read things (which is why I haven’t taken up web/game programming again for a few years now).

Debating just picking them up solely to try them out… Who knows, maybe I actually correct my vision enough in the near future to not need glasses anymore (or at least not to see text on my monitor while sitting in a normal position) and I can actually use them at all times.

Still. the amber color… uggh.

Hi…From GUNNAR. The RPG does OK with a headset. It’s not the best style, but it’s not the worst. The ones with flatter temples are really good. Look for Paralex, Scope, Phantom, Vayper, etc.
thx
GT

Same lens as our advanced computer glasses. Just the frame fit and styling are different. Typically we make our gaming glasses work with headsets a bit better and go for bigger coverage in the lenses since gaming reduces blink rate even more than regular computer use. Bottom line, they’ll do great working on spreadsheets and writing code. Nothing game specific about the lens.

Agree…I hate those darn safety glasses that my shop teacher made me wear. I much prefer a huge splinter lodged in my cornea!

Don’t take it hard…just having some fun.

I’ve been in eyewear my whole career and been surprised by how reluctant people are to using specialized eyewear that is adapted to specific tasks, yet they have no issue with it in other product categories. eg. When was the last time you saw someone run a marathon in loafers or play professional soccer in sneakers? Footwear industry has long since embraced the idea that you can get better performance by having a set of shoes that is adapted to the task at hand. It’s possible to do the same thing with eyewear. In sports optics, we do it all the time. Same principles can be applied to the computer use scenario. Easy enough to optimize for viewing distance, field of view, and any issues in environmental lighting in order to make the eye more comfortable. That’s what we patented at GUNNAR. That’s what we stand behind with the GUNNAR Guarantee. Feel free to reach out at any time. joe at gunnars.com
thx
Joe (GUNNAR CEO)

f.lux doesn’t work for all the problems associated with computer eyestrain and only ‘sort of’ fixes the one that it’s designed to help.

Basic rundown on major causes of computer eyestrain.

1- Reduced blink rate. Eyes dry out.

2- Extended time in near point viewing. Eyes have to strain to maintain focus.

3- Quality of light. Backlights from computers aren’t full spectrum light.

4- Glare and visual noise.

f.lux tries to help with the Quality of light. The problem is that it doesn’t address the other issues, and it doesn’t fully address the quality of light issue either. Since the CCFL or OLED backlight is the original source or light, you can’t add to the emitted spectrum, you can only filter from it. f.lux can filter some of the excessive blue light, but it can’t give you a full spectrum viewing experience.

Hope that makes sense.

Ask you eye doctor…he’ll let you know that it’s not a placebo effect. GUNNAR is recognized and covered by most major vision insurance plans based on the ‘real’ effects provided. :slight_smile:

CRTs were miserable, and I’m glad we’re getting to the end of that era. LCDs have their own set of issues, however. See the other post about f.lux and the limitations there. Bottom line is that whatever monitor you use, you’ll incur eyestrain due to having your eyes fixed in one location for 8 hours a day. Doctor recommended solution for all monitors is to take breaks, change focal distances frequently, set up your work station in the most ergonomic fashion possible, and use computer eyewear.

Just need to correct a few key things here. First of all, cataracts are caused by clouding of the crystalline lens of the eye, not the yellowing of the lens with age. Interestingly, in cataract surgery, it is common to insert a replacement lens with blue light blocking properties similar to what you find in GUNNAR lenses. This is to filter the High Energy Visible (HEV) light that has been associated with macular degeneration.

On the point of “yellowing” and macula I should note that there actually is a great “yellowing” phenomenon that occurs in the eye, but it’s not when we’re old. Rather it’s after we are born and, as infants, begin to ingest lutein, a naturally occurring carotenoid which deposits on the macula to shield the most sensitive part of the retina from harmful blue light.

Bottom line, GUNNAR is augmenting that process and giving you the well documented benefits of reducing the HEV part of the spectrum of visible light.

Additionally, the focusing power in the lens relaxes your eyes, and the high wrap keeps your eyes from drying out. Well documented and hardly a placebo.

Thanks!
Joe Croft (CEO of GUNNAR)

PS One of our investors is the former president of B&L!

You’re right, it’s the blue light in LCD screens that is a major cause of the eyestrain. I bought a pair of eye glasses in Japan designed for blocking blue light from computers, and they were only $30. They also have screen protectors for gaming systems like the 3DS that filter out the blue light before it gets to your eyes.

What concerns me about these is that there is no mention about blocking blue light, and the description talks only about the frame and construction. People probably still need education about how blue light is related to eye strain before you can sell them lenses for preventing it.

These are for people with 20/20 vision or corrected 20/20 vision. So, if you wear contacts or have had LASIK then these will work for you as well. Prescription eyewear can be ordered from gunnars.com.