GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe

GunVault SV500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe

DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY

It is TRIVIAL to open this safe without the key or combination (see linked YT video).

DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY
DO NOT BUY

2 Likes

I still think this serves the purpose most people would use it for…which would be to keep kids from messing with a handgun. So I still think it serves a purpose.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I would buy anything from this company. Even the new ‘biometric’ version has problems. Geez man, how do they stay in business?

3 Likes

I agree. It’s called “a deterrent.”

If the world was perfect, we wouldn’t need these at all.

1 Like

The whole purpose of this thing is to ‘safe’ a hand gun. Be it from theft or from children, if it is so easy to defeat the lock, thieves and children will get it open. That makes it less than worthless, as it gives a false sense of security.
Here is yet another video on how to open these so-called ‘safes’:
Union Safe Co. 57392: Opened With A Paperclip - YouTube

1 Like

If y’all are so adamant that these types of safes suck, perhaps you should provide examples of good ones instead of just saying “don’t buy.”

My guess is that you’ll find plenty of videos of people who can defeat almost any type of safe or lock, so are all the safes and locks bad, or are these people just good at breaking them?

Perhaps with some input, Woot! can perhaps offer more protective gear in the future.

3 Likes

The whole point is so you can get your gun fast in the middle of the night if you need it, all while making sure your children can’t. Your gun is not meant to stay in there all the time. We have all of our guns in an actual safe and move 2 handguns to the bedside at night only. It’s a level of protection not given by just a nightstand drawer. It was never meant to deter people from breaking in. Let me repeat that. This is NOT meant to stop people from stealing your gun. It’s to keep your guests and children safe while you are also near. If you aren’t there then put them in an actual safe.

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Did you compare the links in the “best reviews” to the products where they land on amazon? The first two are very different from the pictures and manufacturers mentioned in the review. Beware!

Your amazon link takes me to something manufactured by “moutec” for the $130 price. Different button look and no manufacturer printed on the cover. Nothing about sentry safe mentioned in the amazon product landing spot.

Tried to help by giving options. Nevermind. Won’t bother to do so in the future…

Do the research yourself then…

Dude. I appreciated the thought. Just thought you might want to know that you were sending folks in the wrong direction.

1 Like

Yes, and this has a deterrent factor of almost 0.

If my grandmother could “pick” this lock with a BIC pen, then the device itself SUCKS.

So your grandmother runs around ready to pick locks??? Sigh…

@Wooter536441384

If y’all are so adamant that these types of safes suck, perhaps you should provide examples of good ones instead of just saying “don’t buy.”

@DarnWootin
Yes, and this has a deterrent factor of almost 0.

If my grandmother could “pick” this lock with a BIC pen, then the device itself SUCKS.

@DarnWootin
That’s not the way this always works. None of us here work for woot. Hell, none of us here even have to comment on the crappiness of this device. But we do because we don’t want someone to buy this thinking that it’s ACTUALLY going to secure their weapon when it won’t.

With this in mind, we don’t always have the time to comb through reviews of other gun safes to then post here and make other recommendations. What I know is that this device is NOT secure, and should NOT be used by anyone. With how easy it is to open AND the availability of videos on YT showing how easy this is to open NO ONE should buy this safe.

Why haven’t you posted alternate recommendations to this safe?

@Wooter51134391
You might know that, but not everyone else does who might buy this device.
Do you check your car tire air pressure before you drive every time? Floss your teeth before/after brushing every time? Run a full antivirus scan on your computer on a regular basis? Rotate your tires? Make sure that the CFL bulbs you purchased didn’t go in an enclosed fixture? Have a GFI outlet in your house within several feet of a water source? Always use a pea sized amount of toothpaste?

All of those are things that people are supposed to do; how many people do you know that follow every single one of those rules (and more). I guarantee it’s not many. Just like many people will think that this is actually a safe and a safe/secure place to keep their gun long term. It’s not.

This is the Lock Picking Granny, and what I have for you today is a gun safe sold by woot that claims to be secure but actually isn’t. It’s key weakness is in it’s barrel locking mechanism that can be opened by many common household items.

Here we have a standard, ordinary drywall cap - the kind that anyone can find at one of the big box home design stores and here we have our “safe”. I’ll take the large end of the drywall cap and insert it into the locking mechanism (much like you would a key).

Now, All I need to do is to apply some pressure to the back of the drywall cap and turn it clockwise aaand… it’s open. To show you that this wasn’t a fluke, I’ll lock the device… put the drywall cap back in… and it’s open again.

Ok folks, this device isn’t secure at all. I wouldn’t recommend this to keep anything safe based on this design flaw.

In any case, that’s all I have for you today. If you do have any questions or comments about this please put them below. If you liked this fake writeup and would like to see more like it, please subscribe. And as always, have a nice day.

1 Like

Have A Nice Day Lisa GIF by Channel 7