Gustatory Orgy

Well, I’m sure that title got some attention. We’ve had some serious distraction with food in recent pre-derby threads. Sooo, thought I’d follow up on a thread, here.
The Steakhouse Taco! OdysseyRoc posted his, I thought it looked great, we discussed, time passed.
Finally made my own. I wasn’t 100% sold on the flavor the way I interpreted it. Subbed peppers for the mushrooms, which was fine. Topped it with salsa. That was good. Didn’t have whoever’s carne asada seasoning, so I guesstimated and made my own. That was the miss - just not quite right. But don’t get me wrong - they were good. Just more Asian in flavor than Latin. Asian steak taco. Not a bad thing. :slight_smile:

That looks really good, but maybe you could either post the recipe or provide a link?

I’m going to let odysseyroc post his recipe, since it came out better than mine.
Though I was just thinking - not enough time in the orange juice? :slight_smile:
No worries, I clued him to the thread so he can join in.

the recipe

Paige, there really isn’t a wrong way to make tacos, you just need to make sure that the seasoning is bold!

I made some proper carne asada the other day, with skirt steak on the grill. Marinated with beer, orange juice,Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper and garlic.

ZOMG that meat looks purple in the pics - NICE. But please, for the pooflady, add the recipe or link to where you posted it. Even I know pooflady is the gustatory queen around here. :slight_smile:
Besides, never hurts to reiterate a good thing.

Oh. Wait. GAWD. I’m dyin’ here. Are those FRIED POTATOES on the side? Frig me, I’m on a Gold’s challenge and trying to drop some LBs. But damn that stuff looks good, and I GOTTA figure how to make that work in my challenge plan. A potato can’t be innately evil, can it? :slight_smile:

DOOd, I hit this with a combo of Adobo, parsley, garlic and chili oil. It doesn’t get much bolder. Again, it was good, but didn’t hit the right latin note. Too asian. Was it only the lack of cilantro, or the carne esada seasoning you mentioned?
No pressure. LIVES hang in the balance. :slight_smile:

Looks yummy. Do you make your own guacamole?

I loooove Betty Crocker’s Herb & Garlic Skillet Potatoes. Granted, they’re not homemade, but…
Can’t find them everywhere.

Amazon has them. Have to buy in bulk though.

Meijer has them.

I have a list of stores where I can only get certain things. Meijer’s also has Rosarina meatballs. I like them best. Another store has Mrs. Reese’s red cabbage. Most stores carry Aunt Nellies, way too vinegary. Target has Bounty Soft & Strong Select-a-size. Most places don’t have the Select-a-size. And on and on. I’m getting too old to remember all this.

I just got back from a gathering of food trucks in LA’s South Bay. I went with my family and we just got a whole bunch of different things and shared. I had filipino-mexican fusion tacos (chicken adobo, pork sisig and pork tocino), Mediterranean fusion beef tacos, korean barbecue burrito (spicy pork) korean bbq quesadilla (beef), a cubano, tostones,papas rellanas bacon & red wine poutine, and a few other things.

I’m now more convinced than ever, that there no wrong way to do tacos. You might have done better with carne asada seasoning, but it’s hard to tell without tasting them.

PAPAS CON QUESO! PAPAS CON QUESO! PAPAS CON QUESO!