Gypsy Boots Sonoma/Mendocino Pinot (3)

Gypsy Boots Sonoma/Mendocino County Pinot Noir 3-Pack
$69.99 $140.00 50% off List Price
2011 Gypsy Boots Pinot Noir, Sonoma County, Mendocino County
CT link above

I know I can get a 11’ Sonoma county gypsy boots at bevmo for $25 a bottle. Is it the same wine? Maybe. This one also lists Mendocino county. So what’s the difference? The winery is also listed as a vineyard partner with bevmo which means I avoid it when scanning their inventory for deals because they are generally not deals.

All that said, where does this wine come from?

And I found ( super shill) Wilfred wong gives it 95 points which means it’s garunteed to be in the modern fruit forward style.

This wine is also listed under Grapewagon on CT. Is that the actual producer? There is no “Winery” tab for today’s offer.

The wine is sold by the Hess collection which is a large brand. So we really dont know much about this wine.

Looks like the winemaker is James Macphail. http://www.vivino.com/wineries/macphail-family-wines/wines/gypsy-boots-pinot-noir-2011

What is this?

I can’t find this wine anywhere…

I’ve found the Sonoma Coast version for just about a dollar more at Bevmo (with some very hit and miss reviews). If it’s anything like the Sonoma Coast it’s definitely a pass for me.

Maybe I just wasn’t paying attention, but I’ve never seen a labeled dual county wine before, and at $23 each? … definitely needs some winery/lab rat participation to make the masses happy… just my opinion though

Grapewagon is owned by James MacPhail, the producer of this wine.

Winemaker is James MacPhail, produced at his winery, which operates as GrapeWagon.

Wines listing dual appellations are not uncommon, they allow the producer to give you better insights as to where the wine is sourced from. Since sourcing on this wine, for example, doesn’t hit 75% from one region, it would have to be listed as “California” if it didn’t actually specify that it was, in fact 60% Sonoma/40% Mendo, which gives you a much more focused idea of the wine. Both regions cool, and both distinctly different, so they each bring something spiffy to the party

Why can’t anyone find this wine outside of BevMo? Was this an exclusive for them?

Also, why the use of such disparate regions? I’m all for regional blends, but Mendo and Sonoma seem like interesting bedfellows. What’s the winery’s connection to the two areas?

And thanks for jumping in! :slight_smile:

Is there a website I can go to check out the winery?

Thanks for jumping in! And now that you mention it, that makes a lot of sense and can be very useful.

Also, I wanted to clarify my comment from before, I re-read it and realized that it might sound a bit negative, which wasn’t my intention… I meant that at this price point, if it is the same wine as what is offered at Bevmo, I would be more likely to go get a bottle there rather than taking a flyer on three without some more info/tasting notes.

Glad to see you’re making a presence on the boards, and welcome!

Hello Wooters,

Jim Morris here from the beautiful Sonoma County town of Sebastopol. For the sake of full disclosure, I am the GM of the MacPhail Tasting Lounge at The Barlow in Sebastopol and am employed by Hess Collection. I am very well versed in this wine and am happy to share with you details on it as I can. I will be on the boards periodically all day long.

This is an absolutely delicious wine. I like to break down all wine barriers by saying a wine is ‘yummy’ or ‘yucky’. It really should be that simple. This is on the high end of the yummy scale (and it is really not because I am a shill for this brand). James sources Pinot from some of the most sought after vineyards in California. His single vineyard Pinots have long been supported by legions of followers.

The two vineyards that are part of this blend come from Anderson Valley and Sonoma Coast. It was a blend created for our friends at BevMo and was very popular with their customers. We have a few cases of this wine left and simply wanted to make this available to discerning wine folk like the Wooters out there.

I think you will absolutely love this wine and at $23, truly is a steal. The single vineyard sources of these wines sell for much more and sell out every year. This is a wine James MacPhail is very proud of and stands behind as well.

We look forward to your comments.

Jim Morris
GM, Direct to Consumer Sales & The MacPhail Tasting Lounge at The Barlow

It’s listed as a vineyard partner on bevmo’s site so it’s probably an exclusive.

Edit. I see the TR rep has confirmed this.

You may find all sorts of information about James MacPhail and MacPhail Family Wines at www.macphailwine.com. As Gypsy Boots was a special project for BevMo, there is no mention of it on the site. All of the specs are complete on the Woot! offer page.

MacPhail Family Wines is a tiny (6000 cases) producer of delicious Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from cool climate (re: hard to grow) vineyards.

It was a special project specifically made for BevMo.

Thanks for the full disclosure, many of us are leary of bevmo vineyard partner wines since they are typically not available any where else and pricing comparison is impossible. Plus the Wilfred Wong factor.

The wine sounds interesting and I’m curious about its style. Would you peg this as a typical Cali pinot or Burgundian, or like an Oregon? I’m guessing it’s in the modern California power pinot style. Especially looking at the deep color in the offer picture.