Hahn Estates 2007 Cabernet Franc - 6 Pack

I’m a sucker for Cab Franc. Also, Hahn is always my go-to wine by the glass when I see it on a wine list.

I’ll admit that I am too intrigued to let this one slip by. I’m looking forward to an inexpensive exploration!

Was going to pass on this until I read the post. I’m in.

Thank you for the props Krumlov and I sure hope you don’t work for the company :slight_smile: Everyone is supposed to ID themselves but people have forgotten.

Morning All!

So … the 2007 Hahn Cab Franc. A great wine that we’re happy to have on Woot. We have made Cab Franc on and off for a number of years but it’s been mainly Visitor Center only. For the 2007 vintage we went with broader distribution and that seemed to confuse our distributors. Since it hasn’t sold out I was telling WineDavid that this was too good of a QPR wine to sit around. Hence the deal today.

Since the Woot boards are always an eclectic mix of discussions, what shall we talk about today?

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/or/rf/fl/ockingtime.gif

Have a safe and happy Labor Day!!!

I second the thank you to the labrats. We’ve had almost entirely positive 'rat reports whenever we’ve been on Woot and for that I thank the winemakers every time I see them.

Yep. 10 bucks for a Cab Franc - worth the gamble any time! In for two in Tennessee!

Way too good to pass up…I’m in!

OK you got me too-I love Cab Franc and this sounds like a good deal-I do want to put a plug in for Maryland-they can now recieve wine thru the mail but few seem to be buying the license-please I have alot of wine drinking friends over there.

Cab Franc is not my favorite varietal, but the QPR here is too high not to bite. In for 2.

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: dgriff80
Speed to first woot: 1m 21.927s
Last wooter to woot: CigarDan

Here are some general questions: can you tell us about the vineyard sources for the 2007? What made you decide to widen the distribution for this wine? Did you up the production for it?

I’ve already ordered a case but still would love to hear a little more about the story of where this wine came from.

First off, thanks for picking up a case, we very much appreciate it.

So Paul did the Vintner Voicemail a little late so it just went up on the site a while ago, but it answers your question on the vineyards and why distribution grew up for this particular vintage.

As Paul said, it was the conditions of the crop that made us make a wider distribution Cab Franc. We had traditionally made a Visitor Center CF and also blended it into our Meritage (my wife’s favorite wine that we make). When Paul was figuring out both how much and what quality we were going to pull in for 2007 he decided to make this wine. Another example of the freedom and trust, for better or worse (usually better:)) that the Hahn’s have in their winemakers and staff.

It’s not quite up on the Woot site for this deal that I know about yet, but we have actually gotten the Maryland permit since another state were it’s not a felony for me to ship wine is great.

So feel free to tell all your friends that Hahn Family Wines feels their pain and is ready to help them out.

I am a fan of the Meritage from this winery and it always has been a nice everyday wine at a good price point. Since the Cab Franc is a part of that one and we are fans of Cab Francs in general, going to go in for this one. Should be fun.

[labrat]
Lab Rat report

Sorry for my late post. Just got home and popped the cork. Started on it right away.
Color is a deep red.
Nose is smokey with an overwhelming smell of alcohol and berries.
First taste is slightly peppery, smokey with a berry taste but not overly ripe or fruity.
Finish is dry.
Initial impression, needs some time to open. Going to give it an hour and try again with food (wife is making duck) and will save a bit for after dinner. Stay tuned i will keep posting as we drink oh I mean taste.

Seeing that the cheapest B&M price for Hahn’s Central Coast wines I’ve seen is $8 and that they already make solid wines for their retail pricing, I would recommend it, though I haven’t tasted this varietal myself.

I think most people here know (and I’m no wine expert) that CabFranc is one tough grape and vitners don’t grow it unless they know what they’re doing. Most CA CabFranc I’ve had has been pretty solid, as it’s a rewarding grape if you get it right.

Between the price and Hahn, I’d recommend it, blindly!

I can’t wait to try this Cab Franc out, seems it’s always a little tricky to come by unless you find the right store. Hoping the wine is as good as the reviews.

Dinner is over and the duck with raspberry balsamic glaze paired perfectly with the Hahn Cab Franc.
The sweetness of the sauce softened the acidity and the 45min in the glass decreased the alcohol smell and taste. The berries in the wine were brought out by the sauce and left almost no hint of smoke. The wife says it is more pepper not smoke. Either way it was almost gone.
Time to clean dishes and we will finish the bottle during the US vs CRC game tonight.

Maryland is a go. Please pardon the delay.

David

Final post of the night. Unlike the Landon Donavan miss this wine has opened up well. We feel that the wine needs some time in the bottle. If you want to open early give it an hour or more before you drink it.
Tannins and alcohol have chilled out and the spicy fruit has come to the forefront.
As someone who likes Cab Frank as a blending wine and on its own I would lay this one down for a couple of years, make a nice meal and enjoy.