Hamilton Beach 4 Quart Capacity Ice Cream Maker

Seems to be a good price, but all of my kitchen appliances are jet black in color.

A big new white one would not go. Do these come in black, woot?

(I’m not resorting to spray paint <G>)

I have this … if you want to make ice cream … and ummm pay more to make it then you would to buy it … and have 4 quarts fo the stuff lying around taking up space in your freezer, not to mention the time it takes, and the mess, But if you want to do all that stuff this works great … but then again who want s to do all that stuff???

Never mind

Doesn’t matter whether your ice is pure as the driven snow or filthy dirty since it cools from outside the canister and never touches the product which you eventually eat.

The 20.99 places are charging $12.00-$16.00 shipping, so woot is $12-16 cheaper. Thats pretty hot.

umm . . . ice and milk i think

They should have had this a month ago, during National Ice Cream Month! :^)

Dude - the ice is just to cool your mix - it’s not in the ice cream.

Homemade really is awesome - this type of machine is just too much hassle IMO.

What recipe are you using? Making ice cream is easy! Plenty of recipes out on the net that you can mix (with or without cooking). Dump in some ice, then salt, then ice, then salt, then ice. Plug it in and leave it until it stops turning.

Clean up? Nothing that a hose and a dish washer can’t handle with ease…
Ice cream quality? I prefer the stuff you buy in the store but its not bad and if your int experimenting with fruits and other ingredients, it can be just the trick!

Apparently you all have never had homemade ice cream because all you need is basic stuff like milk, pudding mix, sugar, and eggs.

You have not tasted ice cream until you make it yourself :slight_smile:

Once my uncle tried to make vanilla and instead of adding lots of sugar; he added lots of salt, needless to say I was the first to eat a spoonfull.

Anyway this WOOT doesn’t seem to be a good deal…

Never had any trouble finding ingredients. Have sure as hell never had to order ingredients offa the web!

And if your ice is going in your ice cream, you’re doing it wrong and it’s no wonder you’re not happy with the taste.

C’mon, we’ve all seen the Roadrunner cartoons. Wile E isn’t as proficient with mechanical devices as he thinks he is… :wink:

Having done battle recently with a HAND CRANK ice cream maker, I can’t pass this one up! Besides, I still have a few pounds of rock salt that I need to put to use. “Cranker’s Elbow”??? It affects your entire arm AND your chest. It makes you appreciate what it must be like to row across the Atlantic.

Ah, ice and salt, mixed by a motor. Reminds me of when my grandfather would make ice cream during the summer. I can’t wait for this one to arrive so that I can relive those great moments with my two ungrateful kids.

And the thought of another woot! box showing up at the front door and pissing off the missus is always a guilty pleasure. I love woot!

Had one very similar to this. It was great! Used plain salt and ice. No special ingredients unless you consider real cream in your ice cream “special”. Gave it away because I was eating too much ice cream!

Soy Recipes:

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=166

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/frozen-desserts/frozen-soy-cream

=D

i had one similar…they’re awesome…dishwasher safe (i think)

plus it usually tastes better than store bought (if you do it right =) )

One cool thing about making your own, you can make special dietarystuff like using the “Sugar alcohol” Erythritol, which doesn’t cause the irritated intestinal system that store-bought low-carb/no-sugar added Ice Creams can. Plus, you can make flavors that even Ben & Jerry haven’t sold yet.

Some of you guys are dorks.
Umm lets see…
Milk and or cream- 4 bucks
flavor you want— 2 bucks
sugar…---- 1 buck
bag o ice 2 bucks- if you dont freeze it yourself)
rock salt 1 buck (found at any walmart, walgreens, kmart, HEB, costco, etc etc etc…

Satisfaction of no chemicals, impurities, and other crap that comes from a factory = worth it! Im in.

Also makes a great science lesson. :slight_smile: “Mommy, why do you add salt to the ice?”

What the hell are you talking about? Half-and-half, sugar, eggs (if I feel like living dangerously); that’s about all I ever use (sometimes some chocolate or fruit or coffee or something to liven things up a bit). Nothing exotic there, and always better than that custardy crap from the store. True, some recipes call for rennet (or packaged junket), but it’s not necessary.

Huh? You are aware that the ice (and salt) doesn’t go into the ice cream, right?

If you feel you must criticize, you might at least come at it from someplace other than complete ignorance.

Pudding mix? For ice cream? What are you, a space mutant? All you need to make good ice cream is cream, milk and sugar. You can use eggs as a stabilizer, but that’s about it.
Check out Ben & Jerry’s ice cream recipe book ($10) it’s the best recipe book ever and most recipes are very easy to follow.
The ice cream makers where you freeze the canister are total crap, don’t bother. If you want to go all out you can get the Lello 4070 ($160 at Amazon) otherwise this is a good way to find out if you’re going to be interested in making your own ice cream.

And you can also make healthy frozen treats: put a pineapple in the blender and freeze of a delicious, refreshing pineapple sorbet; or blend strawberries with some light syrup (just water and some sugar dissolved in it) and the juice of half a lemon for a memorable strawberry sorbet.

Myztri makes a good point:

It isn’t about “saving money by DYI”. It is about the experience and the chance to do it YOUR way. It is as much a summer pasttime as the lemonade stand.

In for 3 - for me, mom, & my sister. Mmm, ice milk & sorbet! Controlling the ingredients means I can have dessert from time to time :slight_smile:

We’ve had this type of machine before, and it was always pretty easy to use & produced a good end result. My sister got a “new style” one and she was often irritated when she wanted to make ice cream and hadn’t frozen the inserts. I’ll go with a little bit more mess for making treats without a lot of pre-planning - what can I say, I can only think about five minutes in the future :slight_smile: