Hammacher Schlemmer Digital Photo Converter

I have one of these and it works great. Someone suggested ‘why dont you just use your flat bed scanner’

WELL when you have 200 pictures to scan its much easier to throw them in the plastic frame and into the scanner than open your scanner and set it just so and all that stuff.

This is just MUCH quicker.

I paid almost $100 for mine and I am happy

HSN video.

1.What are the advantages and disadvantages of this compared to using a traditional scanner?

2.My family’s pictures from the 50s, 60s, and 70s certainly aren’t matte finish…does the “somewhat gloss” finish on them mean this machine wouldn’t be a good choice?

Scans them as far as i can tell. Kinda like a regular scanner but more convenient and maybe better. I’d be concerned about the “able to make a digital copy of any non-glossy picture” part though. Looks like no glossy photos.

This seems like one of those gems from Sky Mall that are tailored for senior citizens.

When I need to convert my digital photos I just use Paint…

PDF manual

Wait… With this, it transfers actual photos into your computer, or digital photos in your computer and prints them out of this thinga-majigy?

Scanners: Taking pictures of ur pictures since 1987.

I did a ton of old black and whites and they turned out perfect, although some of the sizes were off I made it work. I did accidently drop a picture inside but I used tweezers and got it out easy.

Lets rephrase this Hammacher Schlemmer style:

The ONLY 5 Megapixel Digital Photo Converter

The highest quality photo scanner on the market!

$599

Previously on a Woot-off! for $59.99

Not a bad price. I guess it is a easier than scanning…

I’m no techie… but under requirements it says for Vista (32-bit). My operating system is 64-bit. Will it still work for me?

Looks pretty bulky

How many pictures a minute does this scan?

So how is the better than your run-of-the-mill scanner?

You know what sucks? Sitting here two time zones away, and reading the discussion board while debating whether or not to buy the netbook Woot has up. Then I decide “Sure, why not…”, return to the home page, and find this on there instead.

At first I thought “Wha? Another Woot off?”, but when I didn’t see the strobing lights I realized DUH… it’s midnight in Texas.

[face palm] Next time woot… next time.

The only real negative I can see with this product is having to do photos one at a time because you need to load them into the special tray. If you have a large album, it can be very time consuming. I’ve seen an HP Scanner that has a feeder which will do small stacks of photos in batches, but not for $43.

nailed it!

How fast can you load the tray, press the button, unload the tray, and repeat? :wink:

I think so. It doesn’t get more single pass than that. Which makes me wonder how well it will to with “glossy” (as opposed to “matte”) finished photos.