Hangtime Cellars 2008 Chardonnay, Central Coast - 6 Pack

Hangtime Cellars 2008 Chardonnay, Central Coast - 6 Pack
$49.99 + $5 shipping
CONDITION: White
PRODUCT: 6 2008 Chardonnay, Central Coast
CT link above

Winery website

I’ve been getting into Chards lately.

I’d love to know the pH, TA, and residual sugar on this. Also, how long in the oak, and how much new oak.

Finally, the big question - how much malolactic, and how buttery does this taste?

I know that’s a lot to ask, so thank you in advance!

I wasn’t into chards until I bought the Vinturi, which seems to take a little of the butteriness out. I can handle some but not too much. I’m happy enough with them to be thinking about buying this.

Hah - I wouldn’t have thought the Vinturi would do that. But you do know that that buttery-ness varies tremendously from Chard to Chard, right? It mostly has to do with how much malolactic fermentation is done, and with what strains of bacteria (although oak is also a factor).

The notes mention a “creamy mouthfeel” due to oak, but we haven’t heard about MLF yet.

Here’s a review on Snooth. The label looks different, but this is the only Chard I found on Hangtime’s website.

Offhand, a vintner boasting about leaving the fruit on the vine as long as possible sounds like grapes picked when they are terribly over-ripe. Maybe the cool, ocean breezes slow down the ripening enough that the brix isn’t through the roof, but I think we need to see the numbers.

Chard grapes can also lose acidity if picked too late, so I agree - we geeks want numbers! :wink:

I love you guys :smiley:

OTOH, this is $9/bottle (shipped). It could be worth the price as something to use for cooking wine. A LOT of cooking wine. Weeks and weeks of poached salmon and chicken in white wine sauce.

But you can get $3 buck Chuck to serve the same purpose.

Interesting. A high proportion of first timers, and a lot of wooters with lots of woots, but not much in between. And nobody is buying more than one.

1. Where I’m from it’s 2-buck Chuck. :tongue:

2. This at least has the potential to be something you would want to drink. I mean, the vintner description does have appropriate language about single-vineyard bottling and using grapes from appropriate climates. And WineDavid usually picks wine that is a fair value for the price.

Still, the pride in leaving the grapes on the vine as long as possible seems to conflict with everything I’ve read on woot the last few years.

I’m beginning to love relatively cheap chards for their easy ability to drink and enjoy, especially as we head into the summer, they feel lighter, but these ones aged in oak worry me, and the tasting notes are exactly what I don’t look for in my chards. When they mention toast and buttery, creamy mouthfeel, I get turned off.

Wish we got more stainless aged chards on here. I loved the white oak sb, and i’ve been picking up clearanced out chards in cali for <10 / bottle aged in stainless that are fantastic.

As most of you who’ve been around wine.woot a while know, and as all Touristas know, I am a huge fan of high quality California Chardonnay, which at its best (e.g. Buena Vista Ramal) is quite competitive in quality with premier cru white Burgundy and, with time and continued viticultural effort, might someday be competitive with grand cru white Burgundy.

I confess, however, that I am almost always disappointed by inexpensive California Chardonnay. They tend to be rather flabby, a bit sweet, and overwhelmed by either oak (chips), ‘buttery’ flavors that remind me of all of the oleomargarine that attempt to imitate butter (or, worse, whatever it is they put on movie theater popcorn), or tropical fruit flavors that remind me of sweet drinks.

What they’re (almost) never is crisp, varietally-true, and refreshing: whether drunk by themselves or with light fare in Summer, or with shellfish (other than Lobster, which needs more heft) or fish year round.

When I want those characteristics of Chardonnay, I really only have French Chardonnay based wines to choose from at reasonable prices (at least on the East Coast).

Without going back to the thrilling days of yesteryear when good simple Chablis (the epitome of a crisp, dry, refeshing, varietally-true Chardonnay overlaid with the minerality of the chalky soil) was cheaper than the California Chardonnays available on the East Coast, or even the halcyon days of the '70s when Chablis was replaced by Pouilly-Fuisse as the ‘go to’ inexpensive Chardonnay wine, one can almost always get a Macon-Villages or a simple Macon reasonably inexpensively (~$10-15) or, increasingly, even simpler wines labeled ‘Chardonnay’ for prices close to this offer, and be reasonably sure the wine will be dry, crisp, and refreshing. For myself, I’ll almost always spend the extra $2-4 to get a Macon-Villages for the ‘house white’ role, but I’ve had $8 French Chardonnays that were more serviceable than anything I’ve had from California at close to the price.

And, if I’m feeling like something even drier and crisper, I can either spend a few $ more and get a simple Chablis (recently bought some for $15) or Muscadet, which works especially well in Summer or with oysters.

The only inexpensive California white that occasionally turned out crisp, dry and refreshing was French Colombard from Napa or (less often) Sonoma. (Yes, there was a lot of it in the Napa Valley even 40 years ago when Bob Mondavi urged a friend of mine who was replanting family vineyards to put in 50 acres of French Colombard - “you can never go wrong with some Colombard” my friend quoted Bob as saying). 95% of the French Colombard went into off-dry generics, because it had good acidity even in the San Joaquin Valley, and was prolific. It’s the main grape in Cognac. But, it’s not a particularly interesting varietal, flavor-wise.

I was intrigued with, and slightly charmed by, some of the first Monterey and Central Coast Chardonnays as they started to come out in the late '70s and early '80s. The first time I had a well-chilled Chardonnay with the hints of tropical fruit so common in these wines, it was a nice change from the prevalent inexpensive California whites which tended to be mostly Chenin Blanc, some lesser Riesling variant, or Colombard, finished slightly off dry and (to my palate) a bit cloying.

What I found, though, was that this style of Chardonnay did not wear well with me. I rapidly tired of it. And, if it’s served the least bit warmer than an American refrigerator (and it tends to warm up as you drink the bottle…) things that are intriguing as mere hints when it is quite cold, meld into the less than flattering description in my second paragraph.

For educational purposes, what does it tell you about the taste of the wine when you know pH, TA, and residual sugar, and how much malolactic fermentation? Just looking to enhance my knowledge and enjoyment… thanks…

This stuff can lead to memory loss, decimate your liver and give horrendous headaches.

…Sounds like a good night to me. In for 3

[labrat]

I am new to posting comments, but not new to wine woot or wine - I received a golden ticket yesterday and was put to work as a lab rat. It was most exciting receiving a package knowing that there could be the best bottle of wine I have ever tasted inside! I am definitely a fan of reds - pinot noir, syrah, zinfandel, cabernet sauvignon…if I am going to drink a white, it is typically a fruitier varietal in the summer. When I pulled out a chardonnay from the box, my heart sank and I immediately starting coming up with key phrases I could use for my review to try to make it sound objective and well thought out as to why it wasn’t for me. Fortunately, I didn’t have to use any of them.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the aroma and the first sip - it was not too dry or oaky, which is usually the first turn off for me. I read the reviews from the winery and I personally couldn’t identify toast flavors, but I did find it to be a complex, fruit forward and very drinkable wine. I usually don’t even look at the chardonnay offerings, but I actually would (and did) purchase this 6-pack and have already recommended it to family and friends. This is far better than a cooking wine and far better than $3 chuck chardonnay. 130 days of hangtime seems to have done the trick for this wine - I think it is a very good value for a very good chardonnay. It would pair very well with many foods but doesn’t need the flavors of food to make it enjoyable. I know I will enjoy 6 more bottles of it coming into summer!

Unable to find prices from the winery - they sell through a third party who is currently stating unavailable. So no spreadsheet. Sorry guys!

Thank you for the review. You have nicely confirmed for me that this wine is unlikely to be to my taste.

I completely agree. BTW Pellegrini Chard is very refreshing, inexpensive (at least as part of the WW mixed case) and stainless steeled.