Hangtime Cellars 2008 Chardonnay, Central Coast - 6 Pack

you source Pinot grapes from Burgundy? Bring that here. Soon. Please.

11 14 40 18 17 25

These came from my fortune cookie yesterday, if you win the lottery I get half.

I’d just like to give a thumbs up to the well extracted, heavy bodied, creamy/buttery, oaky style.

We prefer reds, but might consider this if it’s actually in the California/Parker style.

And I would be in if it were NOT the heavy bodied, creamy/buttery, oaky style. Just a matter of preference. It would be nice to know where it lies on that spectrum.
jw

What happened ??!!! Louisiana isn’t in the list of states this time.

that’ll happen from time to time. woot can only ship to the states that the winery itself has licenses for, which is most likely why you are off the list. Nebraska is also off the list this time around for the same reason. So you’ll be able to get some and others. Just hope that you can get more than you can’t.

I apologize for this being a little off topic, but i have never ordered from wine woot before, but i have looked and seen that you can order alcohol and have it sent to Iowa. Is there a reason that Woot can’t send here on this one?

edit: thanks bhodilee for answering before i posted

I ask for 2 reasons: 1) to learn more myself about wines in general, and 2) to learn about the specific wine being offered.

If you read rpm’s post above, you can see that there is quite a lot of variation in the world of Chardonnay (not that that’s unique to Chard).

Everyone has their own preferences, of course. I agree with rpm that most cheap Chards range from “meh” to downright undrinkable. But I have found a few exceptions, and something cheap at Woot is probably lower-mid-priced or more elsewhere.

In particular, the “oakey butterbomb” style of Chard has been very popular in California. Obviously, a lot of folks love it, but I’m absolutely not one of them. I’m not looking for anything too creamy or buttery - give me fruit, or give me death! Not that I’m looking to be bowled over by the fruit either - I personally like a nice tangy, acidic, dry Chard.

So pH and TA tell me about that acidity, RS about the dryness, and MLF about the buttery taste.

Until recently, I thought that any Chard that had undergone total (or near-total) MLF had to be quite buttery (MLF actually produces the same chemical that’s used in microwave popcorn - diacetyl). But Matt Licklider from Lioco Wines explained otherwise. That just makes things more complicated, since a lot of descriptions include % MLF, but I’ve never found one that mentioned bacterial strains.

BTW, I don’t mind a more balanced Chard, such as the Copa Del Rey that has only some oakiness and butter, as long as it’s dry. Those can be nice when you just want an “easy drinker.”

Is this wine aged sur lie?

Also, will it still be drinkable in summer 2012?

No problem, where from in Iowa? I’m in Nebraska.

Respectfully requesting winery participation.

Really want to see all of NightGhost’s question’s answered, especially the cooperage and MLF.

Absolutely. That’s why we’re all reading to get some sort of understanding of how the wine will taste before plopping down our money.

I just think that if those of us who actually prefer a different style don’t speak up from time to time, our preferences will end up being ignored in the offers.

The answers to the questions being asked regarding style may disappoint some, but excite others. The key is knowledge.

Vintner voice mail just in now.

I second this request. Just getting into whites and am interested in this offer. Winery participation is likely to push me toward the yellow button…

edit: nevermind, kansas not on the list. too bad :frowning:

I was searching the Vintner and ran across this:

Tony Coltrin
Winemaker, Oberon Wines

Country born: USA

Education:
UC Davis courses of study, many wonderful mentors - a dear close “grandfather” figure who mentored me early on, Robert, Michael & Tim Mondavi - and much global winemaker travel for Robert Mondavi Winery.

Winery experience: 7 years

Bio:
With Robert Mondavi Winery 31+ years, and with the Michael Mondavi Family five-plus years

Winemaking philosophy:
Wine itself remains a simple marriage of pleasures; always strive to find the greatest expression of this in each vintage. Care for your wine; the wine knows and will reflect this

More:

Tony Coltrin
Tony Coltrin has winemaking in his soul. Born and raised in the Napa Valley , he spent most of his 32-year career making wine at Robert Mondavi Winery. Today, Folio Fine Wine Partners is proud to call Tony our Director of Winemaking. “I grew up in St. Helena and worked in the vineyards. As a teenager, the grandfather of one of my closest friends suggested that I work a harvest at a winery to connect my knowledge of the vineyards to my growing love for wine, food and the winemaking process. After that first harvest, I stayed. Being a winemaker is not something I do everyday, being a winemaker is who I am everyday.”

Any more rattage to report in? I’m on the fence on this until more information…love Chards, but a little tepid on this thus far.

This is from the Cesare’s second website on the wednesday Mondavi wines- seems like a good deal price wise…

Hangtime Chardonnay 2008
Tropical fruits mingle with bright acidity and smooth mouth-feel

Add To Cart
$15.99

In for one

Morning everyone, Thanks for your interest in the Hangtime Chardonnay today. Hope to answer some of your questions…

First, the numbers -
pH = 3.58
TA = 5.70
Residual Sugar = 0.79 g/L
The Hangtime Chard is in barrel for 8 months.

The malolactic fermentation is 100%, and winemaker Tony Coltrin likes to do his ML’s simultaneously with the alcoholic fermentation - it’s trickier, but Tony finds that it gives an extra layer of creaminess to the wine. Now, that doesn’t translate to “buttery”, just creamy in the sense of more texture and richness on the palate.

The fact that these grapes are grown on the coast, where the ocean breezes cool them down in the afternoon and evening, makes for a longer ripening season. The extra “hangtime” allows the grapes to ripen fully (not overly), and in this cooler climate they are able to also maintain a good level of acidity so that the flavors remain crisp and vibrant.

Given all this, in the Hangtime Chardonnay you’ll find a wine with crisp fruit flavors complementing the tropical melon flavors, and good acidity balanced by a rich texture without the overwhelming buttery character.

Enjoy!

I currently live in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area, but I come from Williamsburg, right near the Amana Colonies

[labrat]

Long time Wine Wooter, first time Lab Ratter… Yes, I too got a golden ticket :slight_smile:

After getting myself ready, with a rather nice apple tart my wife and daughter had made, as well as a selection of cheeses from the finest stores (well, our nearby real Foods, anyway), I took upon myself the awesome task of reporting back to my fellow Wooters on this wine.

It was corked. Bugger, bugger, bugger. It wasn’t disgustingly vile (I’ve had bottles with slime on the cork (eww!), but this one was just…a little off.

Of course this can happen to the best of wines, so it doesn’t really mean anything, but I was pretty bummed. Y’know - free wine and all that.

The label is very nice.

Actually, I generally rather like these longer-hanging Chardonnays (not a huge fan of the ultra-oaked, ultra-buttery), so if the reviews are good, I’ll probably get a 6-pack, given the decent price.

One very nice thing - I emailed David at Wine Country Connect about this misfortune and I got an apologetic email within 5 minutes - sounds like even with this bad luck, I’ll get another chance to drink and report back in the future.

So keep postng coments and let me know if I should get the 6-pack (or more!).