Harman Kardon 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver

Solid reviews (3.9 out of 5.0) over at amazon

**Item: **Harman Kardon 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $20 Two-Day OR $24 One-Day
Condition: New

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=Harman Kardon 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver)

[Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=Harman Kardon 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver)

Nice review over at hometheaterreview.com

Some additional Reviews from BH Photo Video
Cnet Review

Condition does not seem to be listed at the moment, as it usually is, on the detail page:

Harman Kardon AVR-154 5.1-Channel A/V Receiver
$149.99
In Stock. Ships in 1-2 business days
Quantity Limit 3 per customer
a day left - OR - until sold out

Am I missing any USB ports?
thank you.

I have had one for approximately 7 years. I love it (and it looks great in a stainless steel-modern kind of way! ) my aux jack has trouble making a solid connection, but I write that off as a side effect of old age and heavy use. Bottom line: really great 5.1 for the price.

And to answer the post above: unless things have changed in the last few years, there are no USB ports.

How loud is the unit itself? I have a nice 5.1 already, but the cooling fan can drown out some loud whispers.

Can someone explain this comment:

The only disadvantage to this receiver is that it does not pass through the audio via HDMI. It senses the type of audio and the display on the front shows Dolby etc. Receivers passing the audio via HDMI cost much more.

I need to get an additional receiver for my older Panasonic 720p (one of the first plasmas) that has no speakers.

I saw this denon AVR-1312 @
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312

I KNOW ITS REFURBISHED it does support v1.4 hdmi which the HK does not, not that I have any 3d sources- the HK looks a lot better I will say that, but I care more about sound-

Anyone have an idea which would be better?

I’ve had this model for about 3 years. If you plug an HDMI device into this receiver, you have to use a different connection for the audio. It cannot carry both signals. The item photo showing the front panel shows 2 connections, “HDMI 1” for the video input while “COAX 2” is carrying the audio.
I didn’t know that or I would have shopped up when I bought this one. I think this model was a rush-to-market piece at the dawn of the HDMI revolution. This is my 2nd HK receiver, I’ll likely be buying a TV with multiple HDMI inputs soon and switch devices there instead, using the receiver only for audio. HK can squeeze phenomenal sound out of a seemingly weak amount of wattage. If you’re looking for a 1-cable HDMI switch solution, step up a model. If you just need audio, you’ll be fine with this.

It doesn’t state new or refurb…it’s…gently new?

It doesn’t have a cooling fan, the top of the cabinet is vented. Just don’t cover the vents.

This also seems to be lacking the lossless audio codecs one finds on Blu-ray discs (DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD).

Does this have on-screen setup?

This is 8 year old technology, with no HDMI audio support… I’ll pass, even at this price.

No audio through the HDMI is a big negative. And 30 watts per channel? You won’t be driving any high quality speakers with this. Enough power for the iPod generation I suppose. Most people under age 30 have never heard audio except through earbuds or crappy speakers. And it is cheap, which it should be considering the specs.

This is old technology, HDMI 1.3a Should be at least 1.4a to get the latest and greatest video. You should all pass on this.
They’re trying to get rid of VERY old stock.

It is an oldie but a goodie. I’ve been using the AVR 254 for at least 5 years and I’m overall pretty happy with it. (My AVR 125 is even older but it’s a terrific unit.)

My only complaint with the AVR 254 is that it can have trouble switching between video inputs, especially when a signal is changed from standard def to HD. Usually I can fix it by switching to another input then back to the correct input.

No lossless audio codecs=no sale