Havahart Critter Traps

so hunting deer doesn’t solve the problem of population? sure it does. the only thing appealing about my property is that I have trees for the squirrels to climb. I guess they have to be cut down.

This is exactly what we did with rats. Worked pretty well. I recommend this style of trap, since if you trap a creature you don’t want to harm, you can release it.

This is impossible to do when living in town. It doesn’t matter what I do when neighbors all around me drag trash out the night before in bags (that then ends up strewn all over) or leave dog food dishes out (or cat) day & night, etc, etc. They still come around no matter how much I don’t do thing to attract them. A huge family of raccoons lives in a gutter about 15 ft from my porch. When this happened in years gone by I called animal control…but wait, they no longer have the budget for this. The city doesn’t care, etc, etc.

Thankfully my family own property about 40 mins away so I trap & release on our own land & no can say crap about that. The fact is, in town, it is a given you will have this issue because the city is full of food opportunities for them everywhere & you can’t control for all of that. Last year the issue was so bad I had them literally standing at my windows…for IDK what reason, but that was when I finally had ENOUGH of it & started to trap. We took twelve coons out in a bit more than 2 weeks. One of which appeared blind in both eyes. When I called animal control & the city on that, they seemed not the least bit interested in him either or what may be wrong with him & he was caught mid-day. They simply suggested we not release him & put him down.

soooooo the squirrels in the trees are a nuisance to you?

(and no, I won’t be drawn into the hunting/population control debate)

Are any of these large enough to trap a deer? It would sure save time in having to hunt it down.

Seriously though I could REALLY use one of these for trapping cats. We have 2-3 generations going on in our back yard :frowning: I understand that the various animal organizations will spay/neuter them for free…

yes the squirrels get into the trash. maybe if i ask them nicely to stay out they will. only some peta ummm member would have a problem with trapping animals and releasing them back into their natural habitat.
I know, we could all just walk down the street with the wild animals following us and playing.

I have a Peach tree in my yard, and as you might imagine, Squirrels are hell on Peachs. I asked one of our PETA friends how they deal with it, and found out she puts an electrified fence around her fruit trees. My cats and dog would not like that solution. Shooting them is effective but problematic. What size trap would work for squirrels? I thought I could export them to some property I have access to pretty far away.

Too bad the “KittyHugger” is not available:

(Warning: The following post contains graphic images. If you are offended by the sight of food-dye, corn syrup, and ground beef, you may not want to read this):

http://dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=95

Squirrels at my aunt’s house were tearing up her attic and attacking the wiring in her SUV. Neighbors had one of these traps and once they caught one realized they weren’t allowed to release it anywhere nearby and had to drown it in a trashcan. Not sure if that’s a better way to go out than a rat trap.

Covered trash can. And no, I am not a member of PETA. Your backyard IS their natural habitat. Trapping them and releasing them in a different area will most frequently cause their death as they are being released into a new territory that isn’t theirs. They need to try to establish territory, identify food sources and a place to live in an area that is already established territory for other squirrels.

That is what I meant by educating yourself about co-existing with the wildlife in your backyard. You need to identify what they are getting into & solve that problem. By not eliminating the food source, you are merely inviting other squirrels to move into the territory vacated when you trap and relocate the previous one.

Again, by working with a knowledgeable wildlife person to identify where the squirrels are getting in to the attic and eliminating the entrance, you will solve the problem. By trapping/relocating/killing one or two offenders you are not solving the original problem of where they got in, and it will happen again and again.

there are various repellants that have varying efficacy, but most cannot be applied to the fruit itself. So ideally, applying something to make the tree very unattractive to the squirrel before it fruits would be best, either something the is distasteful or makes their feet uncomfortable (their are some sticky repellants that do this). That may or may not keep them away once those peaches start to ripen, so why not put out a feeder with sunflower seed and/or a peanut feeder to give them something else to snack on and keep them away from the peaches? Cuz I can guarantee that you will not be able to trap/relocate/kill every squirrel that is attracted to your peaches. Again, you empty the territory, and others will move in - esp since it has a tasty food source!

Hey if the hole in my yard is just a bit smaller than I can fit my hand down, what size critter do you think is digging it- mousey, or rabbity?

Bonus is that you get some meat to go with your salad. If you have one of the old Joy of Cooking editions, you’re all set.

These are cheaper everywhere. Try Amazon!!!