Have you had chicken pox?

No fun…sound like shingles gave you the bad case of the purple nurple.

4 Likes

chicken GIF

On another chicken topic, their noggins make a great places to mount a go pro camera. Who needs a gimbal stabilizing mount?

9 Likes

I see several others commenting, that like me and my mom they have had chicken pox more than once.
I ask of those wooters…How many people looked at you like you were dumb and said “you can’t get chicken pox more than once” and also… Did that statement make you irritable?
It still drives me crazy to this day when people say that to me

4 Likes

I never had any symptoms of chicken pox, but somehow I have the varicella titer. All the kids around me in 4th grade were out sick, and there I sat like Typhoid Mary, totally fine. This was before the vaccine was available.

Thing is, I was a sickly kid. I constantly caught every bug that went around / sometimes multiple times.

So that’s my superpower. I’m randomly immune to chicken pox.

5 Likes

Kids these days.

They have an inoculation against it now.

This thread is dangerously close to going anti-vax and will self destruct in 3 days.

3 Likes

Novato*

I grew up just outside there in Petaluma.

2 Likes

Yup. About 5 or 6 years old when.

3 Likes

Fun Fact: Now you don’t need too have them. Or shingles, the nasty grown up version.

3 Likes

I can’t vote because I don’t know if I’ve had it. There should have been an option for that. I’m 65 and never had a broken bone or a surgery. Never been in the hospital. I have no idea what my blood type is. I guess you have to have some sort of need before they test it?

3 Likes

Yup. But a couple years ago, my Dr said I should get the vaccine to protect my stupid asthmatic lungs from shingles.

2 Likes

From what I read, it’s pretty much a vaccination advertisement. Every other post is “get vaccinated.” :roll_eyes: I swear, before long, we’re going to see a vaccine for everything - they wrap you in bubble wrap, sit you in a padded room, and give you an IV drip for your essential daily vitamins and nutrients.

By the way, before someone says … “you’ll be sorry you didn’t get the poked”… I had shingles. No big deal. A little rash. A little tenderness. A little discomfort wearing my cowboy hat. But hey… got through it just fine… no shots needed. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You got to got to got to try a little tenderness!

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

3 Likes

LOVE that song!

3 Likes

Before the age of 50 years, @sticks4630, may I suggest you discuss this with your personal physician? Varicella Zoster, the virus that causes Chickenpox does not go away. A positive titer as you have, shows prior infection. Post infection, the antibodies cause the positive titer.

The virus persists in nerves. Seemingly dormant, but not inactive. As we normally age, our immune system tends to decline in effectiveness. Others have immune deficit due to illness (can include diabetes) or a need for some medications e.g., immune suppression for Rheumatoid Arthritis or chemotherapy.

It can reemerge in the form of Shingles. In some, merely a nuisance. In many others, it can be severely painful and cause what is known as Post Herpetic Neuralgia. Sometimes more than once. Most people will want to take steps to avoid risk of the pain. Please also discuss with your doctor whether the vaccine is advisable to try to avoid body-wide disseminated illness if immune suppression is ever needed (you can look it up but warning: the photos are unpleasant).

Here is more information (click on link for more information please) then speak with your own doctor.

How varicella exhibits latency after infection and what it can do:

Shingles Vaccine Information Statement (VIS)

Hope this helps some here.

5 Likes

Your family (and your mother’s Obstetrician) were smart and kind. Chickenpox infecting a fetus in the last 2 weeks of gestation can cause “congenital varicella syndrome.” You can look up what it can do, but warning, you may not want to (can be just awful). Your being with grandparents at the time was being a blessing on your younger sibling. You can tell him/her that your actions are why s/he was not called “Banana” in elementary school.

4 Likes

Thanks for the in depth info.

My grams got that PTN stuff when she got shingles 3 yrs ago. She had pain and rash in her eyelid and scalp and neck. It was bad for over a year. She had to wear a wig because it made half her hair fall out. It was rough.

3 Likes

And all this time I was avoiding loose women not realizing I’ve got the herpes circulating within. Respecting the vow regardless!

3 Likes

Never!

2 Likes

Yes.
And measles & lots of other childhood things.

1 Like

Yup and have the calamine dotted pics to prove it. Lol

2 Likes