Hawks View Cellars Oregon Pinot Gris (4)

Thanks for all the participation in today’s thread! Wish I could order some, but we’ll be out of town for a month, and I don’t trust the bottles to sit in the lobby for that long :\

I am so working this. but it takes a while (just ask MA).

wish us luck!

Guess not… :frowning:

Grafting has always been an interesting practice to me. And you – balls to the walls! – grafted PG over PN?! You must be nuts! :tongue:

Do you see any appreciable difference in the juice from the grafted vines vis a vis own-rooted fruit? Do the grafted vines take as well to your dry-farming practices as the own-rooted vines?

Love Hawks View PG and PN. Will we be seeing the PN here on woot too? Would be all over this but have some from a local shop. Recall it to be crisp, bright, nice acid balance and refreshing. Paid about $16 on almost close out at local shop so a decent deal here on woot. I hope this comes back around when I have space to load up. A mixed set (PG and PN) would make a nice introduction to Hawks View Cellars for those unfamiliar. Both are very nice and well made

Chip!

Worry not! If you come into our tasting room and mention this Woot! offer you will receive 1 free Tasting Flight. Thank you for asking and we look forward to sharing our whole lineup with you.

Nuts…maybe! But nuts for Pinot Gris!

Both sets of vines manage the dry farming equally well. Our farm is between 200 and 400 feet elevation facing due East. The grafted section is lower and against a tree line that generates more shade. In turn, we see lower sugars, albeit in RG and 101-14 rootstocks, versus the own-rooted gris at about 375 feet of elevation totally exposed.

In summary, our own rooted are generally riper with rounder flavors (akin to what one may associate with red wines), whereas the lower elevation grafted section is more marked by the prominence of gorgeous acidity. The combination brings together a wine that is both alluring and refreshing.

Great report! much obliged.

That’s a compelling idea. What kind of bundle would you like to see from us on Woot!?

Great wine, my pleasure!!

And, in all honesty, my price guesses were truly shot from the hip. I did check the Woot price listed before I pasted in my post, just incase I was wildly off. Didn’t have to change anything, kinda proud of that, obviously :slight_smile:

Much appreciated, my bride to be will be delighted. I’m sure we can find a couple bottles to buy while we’re there…

the “woot effect” on display.

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe a package of 2 Pinot Gris, 2 Pinot Noir and 1 La Baleine. Do you still make La Baleine? A guy can dream, right?

In for a set. Nice discussion everyone!

No room, as you know, but the good discussion broke me down as well.

Fast Fact #4

We are stoked about the 2016 vintage.

Current cluster counts per vine are exactly the same as the last couple of vintages. Oddly enough, the cluster weights are half!

To us this is a great indicator of quality. Recently we’ve seen a slowing of ripeness after a very hot summer, allowing flavors to catch up to sugar. Generally speaking, smaller cluster sizes lead to higher quality wines from our vineyard. Lower juice yields give way to great concentration and palette richness.

Gobble up these '13’s as they are gorgeous, highly rated by Wine Spectator, and ready to drink today.

/pedantic

Palate.

/pedantic.

These do sound good for my palate :slight_smile:

Definitely and now I am even going to throw caution to the wind and try summer shipping to OH for this offer because we can only bring back so many bottles from our honeymoon and I’ll be kicking myself after the fact if I don’t get these now.

Last wooter to woot: chipgreen
Last purchase: a few seconds ago

I was poking around the website and saw that Adam Lee of Siduri is part of the winemaking team. I think a mixed 4 or 6 pack would be great!