Hawks View Cellars Oregon Pinot Noir (4)

Hawks View Cellars Oregon Pinot Noir 4-Pack
$99.99 $172.00 42% off List Price
2015 Hawks View Cellars Oregon Pinot Noir

Really enjoyed this in the tasting room on our honeymoon 4 months ago. Not sure if we had the '14 or '15 but it was a smooth, well-balanced Pinot with dark fruits and loamy earth on the palate. Just enough acidity to produce a juicy mouthfeel with some underlying minerality. A nice effort, especially at the woot price!

I do hope that the Ohio listing in the ship-to states is not a mistake.

First sucker: chipgreen
Last wooter to woot: mill

Cheers, mill! I believe you will like this one. :slight_smile:

I am really on the fence about this one. Oregon Pinots with a classic Burgundian style of barnyard and saddle leather are right in my wheelhouse. However at this price point… on woot, I would have to be sold by the tasting scores and the CT scores in the 80’s are not doing that for me. Granted, in my experience those guys tend to sandbag Oregon wines and big wines in general. If it were six bottles, probably. Then again… I did just get paid.

Not a huge sample size on CT notes, two to be exact, an 88 and 89. And only one with comments.

http://wine.woot.com/areas/wine.woot/images/grape-debater.png

Very surprised to be asked to 'rat (as we said back in the day), as I haven’t spent much time here recently. In fact, my last purchase was nearly 3 years ago, and my heyday was really 2007-10. In any event, delighted to get to try the 2015 Hawks View Cellars Chehalem Mountains Pinot Noir over the weekend. I don’t drink a ton of wine from Oregon, but I did open a Dundee Hills PN Rose and an Amity Hills PN for the Superbowl, so I had some comparables in RAM.

We popped and poured while waiting for some enchiladas to come out of the oven.

I found the nose very muted, but with a slight Burgundian perfume, including dusty aromas of strawberry jam and boiled cherry juice. The initial sip showed cooked fruit (cherry again, also plum). The mid-palate got a bit rough, with a bit of underbrush and leather, as well as some alcohol heat. It wasn’t over-extracted, just a bit unrefined, and this heat/roughness dominated the finish, with some fine tannins also perceptible.

The alcohol seemed to blow off a bit after it’d been open for an hour or so, but nothing more developed flavor-wise. Overall, a decent daily sipper, not particularly special, but then I don’t really love Oregon. If you want a daily PN, you could do much much worse.

My lovely drinking companion, a much more concise taster found the wine delicious and smooth. Contrary to my opinion, she said it didn’t have any heat or sharp/rough edges. She tasted dark, cooked fruit…perhaps berries and found the finish mouthwatering. Her final comment was that she’d gladly pay $20+ and wouldn’t feel the least bit put out.

ETA: For reference, my favorite pinots are from Sonoma Coast, Anderson Valley, and Russian River by Holdredge or Littorai, and Burgundy from Pommard, Nuits St. George, and Clos Vougeot.

Good morning! I’m A.J. Kemp, the Co-Founder of Hawks View Cellars and would love to answer any questions and tell you our story.

First and foremost our flagship bottling is a blend of all 7 different clones of Pinot Noir grown on our property that was planted in 1991. The planting is 50 acres in size, is own rooted (not-grafted), dry farmed (not-irrigated driving the roots to over 25 feet in depth), and faces due East enjoying gentle morning sun (yet being protected from the harsh afternoon rays).

What’s going to tip you over the edge to pick up one of these bundles…ratings? If that’s the case most recently our 2014 Pinot Noir from the Estate received 91 pts. from Vinous (Antonio Galloni).

If you have questions fire away I’ll be here all morning.

Most importantly…thank you for considering our flagship Pinot

Cheers,

A.J.

Thanks for visiting the Tasting Room and congrats on the marriage! Ohio is one of our favorite states with tons of HV Wine Club members.

You most certainly tasted this particular bottling. The most exciting thing for us with the 2015 Pinot Noir is how well it is drinking now. The 2015 vintage was the second in now a string of 3 consecutive great growing years (that’s never happened before in my history in the valley). I’ve consistently seen wines that are forward yet balanced, robust in all the right ways, and truly pleasing. Frankly, this wine from is antithesis of barnyard.

Cheers,

A.J.

Who is ready for fast facts about Hawks View?

Our farm is rooted in deep Cornelius silt loam soil which are exclusive to the Chehalem Mountains AVA.

I was wondering if we would see the Hawks View Cellars Pinot Noir here on Woot. Sadly, I missed the two previous offerings for the Pinot Gris. I just didn’t have enough room on the wine racks.

Any oak treatment on the Pinot? Any de-stemming before fermentation?

Great questions!

Yes on both! First and foremost, we de-stem our fruit with a very special machine made by Euroselect. Copy and paste this URL to see the machine in action in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0piv_MdJa4

In our opinion this machine is the most delicate way to remove the berries from the stems out there. This is extra important for Pinot Noir as the grape skins are thin and fragile (approximately 1/3 as thick as Bourdeaux varietals). The Euroselect allows the berries to be removed gently and ensure the skins remain intact so that all extraction decisions are made by our Winemaker Shannon Gustafson…not the machine.

As for cooperage, all of our barrels are French Oak and are used no more than 4 times. Our winemaking is far from formulaic, and we’ve seen anywhere from 10% to 30% new Oak in this blend over the last three vintages. The cooper that we particularly are fond of these days is Boutes who is new to our program as of 2014. Generally speaking we have 5-6 different cooperages in the cellar in the given vintage.

What is the cellar life on this? Is it worth cramming under my stairs for 5 or 7 years?

Good morning!

2015 was a rare vintage where we got superb fruit quality and large yields to match. Generally speaking it is also rare to have fruit that is duly ripe yet also retaining solid acidity.

This vintage enjoyed the best of all worlds. In relation to aging, you can certainly sit on this wine for 4-6 years if you like…but you don’t have to.

We have chosen a special screw cap enclosure for our flagship Pinot Noir that aspirates just like a cork allowing our wines to age all the while eliminating cork taint.

And cheers for making that GREAT decision!

That Euroselect looked like an expensive machine, but it looks like it was worth it and it does the job efficiently! Harvesting is still done by people though, right?

What you said about the extraction decisions was very insightful as well. Are you de-stemming because this is your flagship wine or do you de-stem for all Pinot Noir bottlings and do you differentiate with the aging in oak (i.e., 3 months for the “village” bottling and 9 months for the “flagship” bottling).

Watch the video

I just can’t suffer an un-linked URL. :slight_smile:

I’ll see your link, and raise you one! Something to while away the time during a conference call.
[youtube=V0piv_MdJa4][/youtube]

We generally de-stem all of our red lots. The vintage drives our decision making as some years are more apt to benefit from whole cluster fermentations. When stems are ripe (i.e. brown) we are more likely to include them in the ferments. In seasons when the fruit is ripe but the stems are still green we are more likely to de-stem to avoid underripe green flavors in the resulting wine.

The length of barrel age again is a judgement call on the tier of wine and whether the wine is benefitting from more time in oak. All of our red wines are aged in oak.

And yes, we hand pick our vineyard.

Well done and thanks for the assist!

[youtube=V0piv_MdJa4][/youtube]

One upped.