Helix Pomatia Three - Pack

Awesome!
I was hoping we would get a Helix red after the last woot.
These Pomatias may go down as one of my all time Woot fav’s. Caused me to actually join Reininger’s wine club.
As for question I saw above, Helix is Reininger’s 2nd label (lower cost). The grapes for Helix wines are sourced from the Columbia Valley as a whole whereas their “Reininger” label wines are exclusive to Walla Walla.
Great, Great wines. Highly recommend

Wondering the same thing. The high pH makes me think this is fairly plush and fruity, made for easy drinking near term. About 50% new oak, too, so I’d imagine there’s a fair amount of vanilla, coconut and cream. Seems like a fastball right down the middle, soft with fruit and oak. Probably a pass for me even though I want to try more WA wines. Maybe the winery will have a different perspective, though.

Wisconsin: DEE-NYED.

Crap. I really wanted this one, too. First time I’ve been shut out.

I mean, what quality winery worth its salt wouldn’t want to file obscure paperwork with our fine state and pay a nice extortion fee?

purchased both the '03 and '04 helix pomatia and while the % of especially CS and Merlot were quite different, both were fine values and provided a good expression of a blend using different WA vineyards/varietals. the '03 was especially flavorful with the CS providing 50% with Merlot and Syrah making their presence known with adding some balance and contrast respectively. didn’t really pick up on the CF component.

for the winemaker: you probably went back to CS as the main component for the '05 based primarily on the vintage results from that year but perhaps you can confirm. also, with the '05, there are equal amounts of CF and Syrah-how do they compliment and supplement the overall blend here. since a few people asked about the russian oak, it is interesting you used it for the '04 Merlot majority-based blend but not for the '03 CS majority-based blend. will the russian oak work in the same way with both Merlot and CS, or are the amounts of some of the secondary oaks too subtle to really notice? thanks!

Do you not read the thread before posting? Your question was answered just two posts (and an hour) before.

Anyone else notice this:

Cooperage: 42% American, 52% French, 8% Russian

So it’s 102% oak?

Yes.

This is for the folks who earlier in the week were saying they like oak in wine.

In for 1 for the holiday weekend spirit, and so I don’t buy more…

wikihow just highlighted an article on How to Turn Your Mini Fridge Into a Wine Refrigerator. (I’ll post this on the cooler thread, too.)

Nothing in SoCal for August? You could add my officially non-woot-approved b-day party (with bellydancers to drive clayfu away) on the 8th to the list.

– T

chips? :wink:

Hey sparky, would you mind changing ours to show August 8th, thanks man

So the Pomatia is really worth bending the buying moratorium on, is it? Why?

(Yeah, I could go back and read the reviews and reports from before, but I want to hear how enthused folks are about this offer still.)

As TtheC said, “it’s really really good.” Also like Tommy, I didn’t make any notes on it, but his description is spot-on. C’mon… if Tommy, J-dub, and I all agree, then it’s gotta be good. :wink:

I agree 102%.

The one thing I do remember is spicy. Black pepper spicy. Not the dominant note, but the one I remember.

An impressive list of some highly acclaimed quality vineyards were sourced for this Pomatia. Could you break down the specifics on which varietals were sourced from these vineyards? Also, is any of the fruit for the Pomatia used in the Reininger label wines?

First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 5.513s
Last wooter to woot: tommythecat78

In for 2!

Why does woot recommend shipping to a business address rather than a residential address?

Why not South Carolina??? It’s OK to ship other woot wines here?

Because most people work during the day in an office and there is no one home to sign for the package. If you will be at home when UPS comes, then sending it to your residential address is just fine.
Or if you are fine with the first missed delivery attempt and then contacting UPS so you can pick it up yourself at the distribution center, then that is just fine too. That’s what I often do.

Adult, non-drunk signature needed. Hopefully there’s at least one sober adult available at your place of work during regular business hours.

It’s not a requirement, just a really good idea if you can swing it.

For probably the millionth time, each winery needs its own license for each state. This winery, it seems, doesn’t have the license to ship to your state. It’s not woot; it’s the wineries that dictate what states can receie wine shipments.

Also, some states only allow certain wineries to directy ship because of quantity produced. This may also be the case here.

Some Bordeaux makers use 200% new oak.