Hendry Wines Estate 2007 Napa Valley Zinfandel - 4 Pack

Not exactly about this specific vintage, but some interesting info about Hendry and their vineyard…

Source: http://www.tastipairings.com/2010/06/04/engineering-the-perfect-wine-hendrys-winery

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it has to do with shipping licences on the winery’s side of things. If they winery does not have a licence to ship to a particular state, that state is out of luck. :frowning:

I enthusiastically concur with zoeldar’s assessment as to the high quality of these wines.

As I related in the thread for Hendry’s previous offer, I had the pleasure of a visiting Hendry several years ago with other wine wooters. They had been chatting with a sommelier who, in response to their inquiry as to his personal cellar, responded that he was currently pouring the Hendry Block 28 zinfandel for himself.

We made an appointment to visit the vineyard and the tour and tasting we received from George Hendry remains one of the most educational wine lessons my palate has ever experienced…a sentiment echoed by our limo driver, who makes his living visiting vineyards each and every day.

To say that the winemaker is meticulous is an understatement - in his other life he’s a particle physicist. It would seem that this scientific temperament is an asset to viticulture; before Hendry started it’s own label, it’s grapes contributed to the making of Opus One and Mondavi Reserve offerings.

Although I’ve not had the 2007 vintage, I can state with confidence that Hendry wines are scrupulously made. Although some zinfandels can be all 'knees and elbows" the ones I tasted at Hendry were balanced and refined.

I tasted many wines on that trip to Napa, but the only wines I sent home to Virginia were the Hendry Zinfandels, both the Block 7&22 the Block 22. A gentleman in our party who lived close enough to carry his wines away with him purchased a case of magnums of the Block 28 Zinfandel.

For me, Hendry wines are an auto-buy. Thank you, Wine David!

Very interested…Looking for nudge off the cliff.

Correct. As one winery confirmed for me last week, its a simple budget choice. For example, NH is a $100 permit and there is no sales tax here. However, no sales in a given state would cause a business to decide if tracking that state is worth the money. Understandable. IMHO, that is a winery mistake if you are going to participate in wine.woot. This is a great forum to reach segments of the population you wouldn’t ordinarily reach. I am here to try new wines. If you have zero market share and then don’t ship to that state, you only solidify your zero market share… Conversely, I would have ordered several of the woot off wines and shared them with friends… So I feel your pain (Carolinas and others) on being left off the list, but that is my understanding of the situation.

I’ll nudge ya!
$15 for a great zin.
There are far too many average zins more expensive.
In for 1!

This is also what I’ve heard. Not much you can do besides contact the winery and let them know they have customers in your state and to contact you when they can ship. If you’re visiting out-of-state friends this summer, maybe you could have them hold it for you :slight_smile:

While 15% Zinfandel is not the rarity it was in 1976 when the Montevina came in at 15%, and while more and more producers are leaving grapes on the vine longer, harvesting at higher sugars (resulting in higher alcohol levels), 15% is not average. In the late '70s, you saw Zin with significant residual sugar and high alcohols over 15%, marketed as ‘late harvest’ Zinfandel. It was sort of a novelty - a raisiny, plummy sort of wine with intense flavor. The sort of thing to sip with strong cheese on a winter afternoon when you were feeling too cheap to break out the fully aged vintage Port. But, it’s mostly gone.

Mid-14s these days is common, but it’s perfectly possible to make Zinfandel in Napa under 14%, even in Sonoma County it can be done.

I am not a fan of high alcohol wines, especially when the acid isn’t high and the pH is. But, to each his own.

WineDavid, your presence is requested in the Chronicle Old Vine discussion thread. The natives are restless.

After reading all the nice comments about them here and on the previous offer while drinking my morning coffee I gravitated to the Hendry website.

If my math is correct, this 4-pack, when ordered from Hendry would be about $150 with CA tax, and a minimal $8 shipping charge (which I’m sure would be much higher from their shipper). That said, this is indeed quite a deal if these are as tasty as it appears they will be.

As wine space challenged as I am, I’m in for one!

Hendry Wines Estate 2007 Napa Valley Zinfandel - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mill
Speed to first woot: 0m 48.480s
Last wooter to woot: bsevern

Definitely in on this deal.

Back when Rosenblum used their grapes I was always impressed with the quality of the wine.

Ditto. :slight_smile:

Even using CT’s best prices of $27/$30 (without tax and shipping), this is indeed quite a nice deal for these Zins.

Thanks for the correction, but still seems like Napa/Sonoma Zins these days really do lean toward 15% more often than not. Next time we go to the LLS/LWS I am going to take a look at the selection and alcohol levels to quench the curiosity.

Cool! Enjoy the wines-- this is an amazing deal!

Hi there! We usually recommend drinking the 7&22, which is higher in acid and lower in tannin, sooner: 5-7 years is optimum. The Block 28, which is more tannic, can lay down longer, and should be just fine at 10 years. That said, both wines are tasty now, especially with anything grilled. Decanting, or a big fat rib-eye steak, will smooth out the tannins in the 28. Cheers!

Well said, Lassow. Zinfandel is an incredibly efficient carbohydrate producer, so there’s lots of sugar for the yeast to convert to alcohol. The key in any wine is to make sure, by picking at phenolic ripeness rather than just brix, that the depth and intensity of the fruit is in balance with the alcohol. This is the advantage to growing your own grapes.

Hi Zoeldar, thanks for the compliment! Also note that these wines retail at $30 and $35 respectively from the winery or in a store, so this is a truly smoking deal for a wine that is already a value at its price point. Happy drinking!

I’m in. Splitting the pack makes it a little easier on the credit card. Nice offer WD!

Hi Chadshorebird,
now to 5-7 for the 7&22
now +/-10 for the 28
Block 28 is best with richer foods (rib-eye!) due to the tannins, and 7&22 is our go-to wine with tomato-based sauces.
Enjoy!