Himalayan Chef Salt & Pepper Grinders (2)

Himalayan Chef Salt & Pepper Grinders
$24.99 $39.99 38% off List Price

Website

Are these grinders refillable/reusable?

And can anyone comment on the quality of the grinders? I’ve had two pairs break/stop grinding consistently in the past couple of years (I cook a lot but I’m not abusive toward my cookware or anything).

Is the grinding mechanism steel or ceramic or other?

Also, +1 on the refillable question…

Does anyone have these? Woot folk, can you look at them and see?

Seem like important questions.

I’ll ping Wine Staff and see if I can’t find some answers.

Thanks for the inquires all!

P.S
On the “refillable” question: most salt/pepper shakers are refillable; it’s not common to sell un-reusable shakers.
I’ll still ping/verify.

I have to correct the record again. This statement is just nonsense:

“Typical table salt is dried at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit; the excessive heat alters the natural chemical structure of the salt.”

The chemical structure of NaCl (which is white when pure, NOT pink) is not altered by heating to 1,200 degrees F, which is still more than 200 degrees under the the melting point.

These salesguys just make stuff up to sell their contaminated salt. I’m not saying that two grinders for this price isn’t good, but the pink salt they contain isn’t worth paying extra for. And certainly not for the fallacious reasons given.

Same here. Automatic one always seem underpowered. I had ordered a Wolfgang Puck one on Tanga and it seized trying to grind just ONE grain of salt/pepper. The other pair I have always sounds like they’re laboring to work at all.

I’m just going to stick with manual ones, I think.

I agree with this; it’s fine if you want Himalayan salt, but it’s ridiculous to use fear/uncertainty/doubt statements to try and push it. HOW DARE THEY COMMERCIALLY CLEAN SALT to make pure table salt! Its chemical composition is drastically altered so that it doesn’t have things that aren’t pure salt in it! Those monsters.

Thank you for that. I worked in the press for 15 years and debunked a TON of sales lit B.S. I was about to attack this one, but you beat me to it.

Actually, I’m curious. Can someone find out what, exactly, is in that pink “salt” and what makes it that color? At least, the PR flack’s version? Google is full of different tales of what makes it that sickly color.

I was about to buy, but I need to locate a source of real salt suitable for a grinder. I live in a rural area and we don’t have anything but powder in stores near me.

That pink, er, stuff, would be bound for my house’s front step (once it ices up again).

There is absolutely no information about the grinders themselves. How is one supposed to be able to make an informed purchase based on a bunch of fluff about pink salt and pepper? Poor form Woot.

If you’re more interested in the salt than this specific grinder, Costco sells pink Himalayan salt under their Kirkland Signature label in a no-frills grinder for less than five bucks.

And yeah, the marketing language for this stuff in particular has always gotten me. In the same paragraph I’ll see it described as the “purest salt on earth” and yet states its flavor and color is derived from a variety of minerals occurring naturally–two claims that seem to contradict each other.

My son was on a Himalyan salt kick a few months ago, so I decided to do my own research on what made the salt pink. I’m a geologist by trade so I figured this was right up my alley. The salt is pink because of trace amounts of iron. That’s the way it’s mined from the ground. Yes, mined. And it’s not “Himalayan”. It is actually mined from an area of northern Pakistan about 600 miles from the Himalayas. The salt comes from non-renewable deposits and is mined by low income workers who toil all day in low wages jobs so you can have pretty “pure salt” that is imbued with magical qualities just because it’s pink. Contrast this with regular plain old table salt produced in the western hemisphere by solar evaporation. Go to the southern Carribean islands to places like Bon Aire and you will see huge piles of sea salt waiting to be loaded on barges waiting to be shipped to your table. Not from a non renewable mine third world sweat shop. Not that I’m judging you. Just my opinion.

There are more and more salt, pepper and other herb/spices for sell now in cheap, non-refillable grinders. Just another marketing tool. I have a sugar and cinnamon grinder purchased because the grandkids would enjoy it, and my husband. : )

I TOTALLY agree ! Woot, you have an entire description of freaking salt and pepper and not a word about the grinders. It’s really ridiculous.

Can you PLEASE give us some details about the grinders ? Ceramic or stainless, country of origin, battery operated or manual . . . something ?

I can look at them and tell you yes. They are.

+1 on this.

Are these manual or power grinders?

What are the grinder plates made of?

Is there a way to adjust the coarseness of the grind?

Is the body of the grinder acrylic or glass?

And of course - are they refillable?

I can assume some of these answers, but we don’t get free returns for wrong assumptions.

Thank you. Your post was very informative.

I’m really liking all this foodie/chemistry nerd talk about salt. Usually I’m the only one who catches that kind of stuff…

Can’t speak so highly of the Woot descriptions for these products, though… I’ll be waiting to buy until the questions get answered.