Hisense 50" 4K Full Web Smart TV

Has anyone used this with a Plex app with a Large BluRay movie? From experience my Samsung fails and constantly buffers, looking to replace it.

I bought this one the last time it was offered.

The good: it’s cheap, the sound quality is outstanding (especially considering the price), and the picture quality is fine without having to do a lot of tinkering. (I turned off the smoothing because I hate soap opera effect, but otherwise it was fine out of the box, unlike my Vizio where I had to spend an hour making it watchable.)

The bad:

The built-in Amazon app does not seem to do 4K video, or, at least, if it does, I haven’t figured out a way to make it do it.

I have the new Fire TV (which has 4K support). Obviously, there are very few 4K titles available, but when I pick one of them, it is clearly showing in 4K. (It pops up a little message that it is optimizing for 4K and then after the video starts, the TV will say it is in 3840x2160.

On the Fire TV, there is a separate “category” of Ultra HD videos - just like you have “Prime TV”, “Prime Movies”, “Because you watched Some TV Show”, “Recommended for you”, etc; you will have “Ultra HD Prime TV”, “Ultra HD Prime Movies”, etc. On this TV’s built-in Amazon app, you have no such Ultra HD categories.

Prior to hooking up the Fire TV, I saw no indication that the Ultra HD titles even existed. If I searched for one of the titles I knew to exist in Ultra HD, it didn’t return the Ultra HD version - only the normal one.

(Amazon lists them as two separate titles. So if you bought, say, Men in Black and you want it in Ultra HD, you have to pay them another $30. Isn’t that nice?)

Once I hooked up the Fire TV and watched a couple of Ultra HD titles, they started showing up in my recently watched list. So now if I went back to the TV’s built-in Amazon app, I could see the UHD titles in my recent titles list, but if I try to play one, it gives me an error that it can’t load the title.

So I don’t know what the behavior is supposed to be, but certainly I would have expected the built-in app to be able to display UHD without having to buy a Fire TV.

I have also tried to view YouTube content that is allegedly 4K. I can’t definitively say that it’s not 4K (since it could be trying to display it in 4K, but it’s pixelated badly enough that it’s indistinguishable from 1080p), but it sure doesn’t look like it.

I don’t subscribe to Netflix’s 4K service so I can’t offer comment on whether or not that works.

Also, one other problem is that my Fire TV seems to “forget” that the HDMI port is capable of Ultra HD and I will have to reboot it. (Changing HDMI ports doesn’t fix the problem - I have to reboot the Fire TV.) I have no way of knowing whether this is the TV’s fault or the Fire TV’s fault.

And it’s worth noting that only two of the four HDMI ports are capable of 4K, so that limits the future lifetime of this TV.

Steam 4k on amazon and netflix no problem.

Beautiful set, with great sound despite speakers are rear facing.

Menus are much easier to navigate than our Panasonic 50 inch.

The issues are blacks and contrast settings. Its not very simple to work through to get the results you want unless you know a thing about what you need to do. However, they will walk you through it on the phone.

Ours streams great. You may have this issue with all your devices at 4k, unless you have at least 500mps clear through put wireless or wired.

Does this have HDMI 2.0? Will it do 4k at 60hz on HDMI, since no display port, for a computer?

Found the info on Amazon. For those wondering the same: TV is native at 120HZ, HDMI 2.0 will do 4k at 60hz

• 4 HDMI inputs: HDMI inputs are like diamonds and gold; you can never have enough! This TV has four software versions of built-in HDMI inputs for you to connect multiple HDMI-enabled devices. All four inputs support HD, Full HD and Ultra HD resolutions using your existing HDMI cables. Two inputs are HDMI version 2.0 with HDCP version 2.2 supporting 4K content up to a full 60 frames per second. The other two inputs are HDMI version 1.4a with HDCP version 2.0 supporting 4K content up to 30 frames per second. This TV is compatible with all HDMI devices from legacy DVD and video games to the forthcoming 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and gaming consoles.

• 3 USB ports: This TV has three USB ports (one version 3.1 and two version 2.0) for connecting USB devices such as memory sticks, hard drives and keyboards.

I would have bought this if amazon.com didn’t charge sales tax :frowning:

The TV came in good order, however it was not shipped with a remote or a power cord. I would be careful when buying refurbished items from woot.

I’m experiencing slight glitches here and there with the display on the daily. Wondering how to determine what issue it had for the refurb to begin with - anyone have any advice on sending this back. I can’t imagine that the reason for the glitches and or hiccups in video display in certain random spots here and there are because of a higher resolution (4K) my first 4k display so ya. I thought once might be an issue with streaming and or cable but its happening regularly - you cant watch one movie without noticing it several times. Has anyone returned something that has advice on best way of going about returning it RMA. Bit worried about shipping costs back too - and of course I already tossed the box out :frowning:

Please use the Support form linked at the top of the page to contact customer support for assistance.

The lack of a box may be a problem. You’ll need to box it to return it. :frowning:

I got a box - fyi they sell tv boxes that will work good and keep it secure for $19.99 or so. Thanks for the reply - I tell people about this site all the time since my first WOOT - love checking it daily :slight_smile: Also the customer service and support of the site are top notch! Shipping estimates are always WAY quicker than quoted too!