Hitachi 18-Volt 1/2” Cordless Driver Drill, Flashlight & 1.5Ah Li-Ion Battery with Carry Case

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

Hitachi 18-Volt 1/2" Cordless Driver Drill, Flashlight & 1.5Ah Li-Ion Battery with Carry Case
$99.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: New

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

How do these batteries stack up against the competitors? I’ve had my eyes on a cordless drill for a while now, but battery life is critical for me.

$153 at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DS18DSAL-18-Volt-2-Inch-Driver/dp/B001N2NTEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314162115&sr=8-1

I’ve been looking for a drill recently. Haven’t had to use one for work in a while, so not expecting a DeWalt or whatnot, but something that will stand up to household repairs and maybe a bit of tinkering for a few years without being totally wimpy. Is this a deal? or should I be trawling for that special sale?

Wow. This is for the steel-toe-boot crowd. Almost no-one needs a cordless drill this powerful. And for someone not-so-large like myself, it’s liable to be heavy enough to induce fatigue long before the battery dies.

With 18 Volts and 1/2" capacity, this drill really should perform as well as (a good) one with a cord.

How hard-core is this? It has a lifetime warranty for home use, and 2 year for professional use. For most tools, professional use voids the warranty immediately.

For most of us amateurs, we’re probably better off with a lighter one with two batteries (so you can get all the way to the end of a big job); Woot! sometimes has them in the $60 range.

But if you want a really serious cordless drill, this is your baby.

not too well. the angles are awkward and don’t seem to match well with the contour of say…a makita. i’d recommend using either or for stacking and binding (utilizing metallic medium of choice) boards and the like.

[Mod: Har-dee-har-har]

I have a Milwakee and it is the best $ I ever spend on a tool.

home depot owns milwakee now

Oh my gosh! Woot’s selling a drill with a Li-ion battery!

Holy smokes! I’ve already got a pretty nice cordless drill, but this one definitely wins for baddest @ss-looking drill. It almost looks evil it’s so cool. Are you guys sure these aren’t standard kit for the X-men?

What always makes me wonder, is why just about every cordless power tool kit out there includes a flashlight? Is it just to add an extra “piece” to the set for a relatively low cost, or are they really that important?

I can sort of understand the usefulness of one if the kit included TWO batteries, so that you can drill/drive and light up the spot at the same time. But being able to use just one or the other?

That said, I do have a set of cordless tools (different brand) which of course includes a flashlight, but which also includes a second battery, and surprisingly I found myself using it quite often when working in poorly lit quarters. Not that I would have bought one if I had an option not to. I mean a $10 LED flashlight with a stand does work just as well… But now that I have it as a part of a kit I do use it.

I got the ni-cad version in a previous woot, and so far has been a great drill. as powerful as the makitas at work, but i like the balance/feel of the hitachi a little better.

Sorry, my error earlier–pointed to wrong product.

Drill by itself froogled

Hmm, this looks to be the same drill I bought during the last woot-off for $65. But I didn’t get a flashlight.

EDIT: It was $60, and it was with the Ni-Cad batteries. Arrives on Thursday.

These are no DeWalts, but they will serve the average homeowner well.

so the drill has an LED light on it, but the flashlight uses an old-fashion incandescent bulb? I was so close to pulling the trigger too.

About.com review:

This is really much larger than the average household needs. You need a 3/8 drill with an 8-12 volt battery. This 18 volt battery weighs a ton. You can get a good one for around 50 bucks.

that one includes two batteries, so not exactly a fair comparison.