Hitachi GST Deskstar 4TB Internal SATA HD

Lololol!

Yep.

Meh price especially for a crap warranty on a drive that’s been shipped at LEAST three times by the time it gets to you, possibly contains mapped out bad sections too. :confused: of it was new it would be a great deal but… It’s not

Working in a data center with thousands of drives HGST/hitachi drives have by far been the most reliable disks. The deskstars are more reliable than seagate enterprise disks.

This disk is the coolspin model and unlike low power/cool running drives works good even with hardware raid controllers.

Between my various machines I have 50 of the 3TB coolspin model (30 of which have been powered on over 1000 days) and not only have not a single disk failed but all of them have 0 re-allocated sectors. Also 0 failures with 1+ year runtime of 200 of the 1TB deskstars I bought for the company I work for to replace failing seagate disks (1 was DOA though).

On the company dime I bought about 40 of these 4 TB coolspin models (none have failed or had issues) as well as bought 24 for myself and they have been perfect.

I highly recommend hitachi products and this is a very good drive.

That being said considering the fact I can buy a new retail boxed (which I always do as it insures good shipping and a reliable drive) for a mere $15 more which I know will have a 3 year warranty (who knows on these refurbs, does woot even say? I didn’t see it).

Part of the reason the difference is only $15 is because I can buy from east coast and avoid paying sales tax but I would much rather spend $15/more and get brand new retail boxed drives with full warranty status (just in case). Ive never had to use the hitachi warranty because of the hundreds of disks I have bought for my company and myself (I literally have over 100 hitachi disks all 2TB+ for my own personal use) only one has failed and it was after 3 years of use and a 7200 RPM 2 TB model. I find that the coolspin drives seem to have better reliability due to the lower heat.

It should also be noted that without a motherboard that supports UEFI, which only relatively newer ones do, you will only be able to use 2 of the 4 terabytes if you were to try to install Windows to this hard drive, as with any hard drive over 2 TB. Point being, this hard drive should be used more for archival purposes, etc. while you could use a solid state drive or a smaller SATA drive for booting Windows.

I’m fairly certain that as of a few years ago, Hitachi/HGST became a Western Digital subsidiary. As for this particular model, I’m not sure if it came out before or after the merge.

This is sad but true of windows. Its too bad microsoft has this limitation. Linux can boot off any sized GPT partitioned disk via regular legacy BIOS even if its 512TB. its not a hardware limitation :frowning:

I seem to recall even some of the server versions of windows can get around this too.

All we know is the drive failed at some point and required mfg intervention. We don’t know what is wrong, only that something is wrong. Since one can buy a brand-new 4 TB drive elsewhere for an add’l $20, why would anyone buy a refurb HD for any reason?

Skimp where it doesn’t matter, not on the important stuff.

Yeah, I’ve been using Red Hat because I’m too cheap to buy a SSD for Windows, it takes getting have to use to use all of my old apps in Wine, but I guess I’ll get over it. Or I could invest in a UEFI motherboard but I don’t have many more corners to cut to come up with the cash!

Windows Server 2012 may very well support booting off of GPT, but I refuse to use it because I don’t want Metro on my server… It just hurts inside, you know?

I believe he was joking.

Sorry, but “3 out of 5” for a hard drive is far from “good” :wink:

That’s more into the “DO NOT WANT” territory.

This HDD is perfect for IRS and INS employees. It can quit working at the perfect time when somebody starts asking questions about criminal behavior in the government.

Interesting to know, we still consider them that way, but I guess all of the hitachi’s we have as well have been running just fine (mostly out of laptops).

On a side note to everyone here:
Everyone keeps recommending a warranty. That’s nice and all, but that warranty won’t save your data. So, unless this is just a junk drive, I wouldn’t recommend storing your important stuff on something you might even think you need a warranty on.

Now, using this for a large backup drive? Can’t think of a better use. If it dies, oh well, replace it, run your backup job again.

What he said.

I have 16 of these drives in two separate RAID arrays and they have been flawless for over a year so far. That’s my personal storage. At work I’ve got another 30-ish, all 4TB models and they have been flawless as well. I’ve not had one bad drive out of all of them.

No problems in a RAID, run cool and so far so good!

As for these, I’d pass. Normally I like refurbs and if the price was about 25.00 lower I’d consider but giving up the three year warranty to save 20-ish on a refurb?

C’mon WOOT. 6TB drives are quickly dropping in price and this is NOT a deal at all. (refurb)

If someone does spring for one or a few of these drives I’d seriously recommend two products - Drive Pool and Scanner from Stablebit software. (specifically Scanner)

Good Luck!

-RF

Another thumbs up for Hitachi here. I built my own barebone systems for a while and came to prefer the brand. Built a HTPC with three of them that stayed cool and quiet. Things can always go wrong no matter how good the brand so I agree with others on investing in protection too. This is a great bargain, and I’d probably hop on it if I was doing a new build.

Also, another Yay for Components!

Newegg has New 4T WD RED NAS for $160 delivered. 3rd shellshocker deal today. Good solid HDDs. I like the drives offered here today, but refurb HDDs give me the hee bee gee bees-too much to go wrong

Anyone making a comparo to anything in a datacenter has not a clue - unless, of course, said enterprise is buying their drives one at a time in a bubble pack from Amazon.

The lifecycle from mfgr to implementation is WAAAAAY different for enterprise class devices than the disk your UPS driver throws at your front door.

And why is a 3 year warranty anything to get excited about? So when your disk eats 4GB of your family photos you get another $125 drive “”“for free”“”?

This is not a great deal / not a great price. 3 of 5 stars at NewEgg is a definite DO NOT BUY on disk drives (at least it is for me I happen to want to keep my data). And if you’re only buying one hopefully you know exactly what you’re setting yourself up for.

Me, I use a few at a time.

My 3 cents (IMHO). I do hard drive recoveries and work in a clean room for a living. Out of all the hundreds of drives I have gotten in over the past 4 years, Hitachi’s have been few and far between. Unless you want to fork out the money for an Enterprise class drive than this is the way to go. WD, Seagate, etc. have had LOTS of issues over the past few years and I cant recommend them anymore.

but if we actually READ the reviews for the wd red on Newegg,the low ratings are predominately posted by rookies who cant get the drives to work with their systems of have multiple DOAs-a sure sign of bad practices by the purchasers

This just isn’t a deal, end of story.

Far better options out there with much longer warranties for the same price range.

BWAHAHAHAHA! Instant RAID, for a buck 20 each (4 stars but low reviews), and you’ll have 2 external carries to use for other stuff…

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1744453&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL071514&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL071514-_-EMC-071514-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo1744453-L0D

Multiple DOAs are a “purchaser issue”??? Are you on crack?