Hitachi SimpleDrive III 2TB Aluminum External Hard Drive

You REALLY have to be a “pack-rat” - or a lawyer - to need 2 TB of external storage!

or a photographer with a videocam.
raid1 anyone?

Wondering if the drive can be removed from the case and used with an esata dock for faster transfers than usb2.

Anyone who does video editing knows that you can NEVER have too much storage space! Think 13 GB per hour of raw footage - and 13 GB of backup space = 26 GB per hour to start with…

Then subtract the conversion (2 TB = 1.82 TB of usable space) then @20% for drive performance = @1.45 TB…

If you use it on a DVR, how high do you need the quality to be?

I remember the day when people said that 1 GB was all the space you would ever need on a hard drive.

Nature abhors a vacuum!

No. The review above complains that the case is not swappable - it’s sealed.

As for the drive, it would probably work, but the warranty would be voided.

$5 more gets it for ya today @ buy.com

We are temporarily sold out!

Bought one.

and if it’s your first time buying from them, you can use the coupon to take off that extra $5.

Just so you know, its a Hitachi eSATA drive inside but the enclosure is USB 2.0.

Well, you mean it’s a SATA drive inside. And many external drives do come with an eSATA port, which allows faster data transfer.

This is fine, but it’s not for rapid dtata transfer, and although you could run apps off of it, it’s better to use something faster for that.

I can beat that! I can remember when 20 MB hard drives was hooked up to our computers at work & we all thought there was NO way we could EVER fill up all that space! :lol:

I’m thinking if I have 2 of these (and maybe a 3rd for a spare), I’ll pull out the flaky DAT tape drive from my server, and just do backup to these. Once a week, swap the drive, and throw the full drive in my car’s trunk - you know, offsite backup! Not a bad solution, really!

How hard would it be to partition this so I can use half of it with a mac and half with a PC? I need to back up some files off my work computer, which is, for better or for worse, a Mac

Can I hook this up to a PS3?

Ordered 1

:slight_smile:

Will this work with a DirecTv DVR for recording programs. You can hook up eSata drives to DirecTv DVRs to expand the recording capacity but not all eSata drives are compatible. I wonder if the Hitachi is?

Needs to be formatted FAT32 for the PS3. It won’t recognize NTFS.

Since you’ll be formatting it as FAT32, you won’t be able to store files bigger than 4GB on it (you’ll have to split up those 720p/1080p rips into 4GB chunks).

bah, I just spent $70 on a 1TB SimpleDrive…

Yes… I realized this directly after placing my order. It has been sorted since and now the 2TB is on order. This is still a great deal at 100 bucks!