Hoopes Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (2)

Hoopes Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$69.99 $115.00 39% off List Price
2012 Hoopes Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley
CT link above

Winery website

From the Winery tab:

“In an effort to make an affordable, everyday Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Lindsay started producing a Cabernet Sauvignon that is a blend of three different vineyards…”

Their definition of affordable everyday wine sure differs from mine :wink:

Hey Woot… please update your list of states that you’ll ship to.
It is now legal to ship wine to Massachusetts.

2012 was a great year in Napa. It was pretty tough to make bad wine.

Would love to hear from RPM.

Any experience with these guys?

It doesn’t happen overnight. Wineries still have to purchase licenses from the state and that will take a while to get started.

Here’s WD’s post on this:

If the winery is going to be popping by, can they tell us a bit more about where the grapes are sourced?

It looks like the winery is “headquartered” in Oakville. Are these all Oakville grapes?

I’m really excited to try this wine. I’m a huge fan of the Hoopes single vineyard cab.

Their last offer was a red blend which the write up stated that was made up of winery 2nds, that offer was out of my price range too. Their idea of affordable and mine do not line up. But hey this is woot, I’m here because I’m poor(or is it I’m poor because im here?).

From the winery website:
“A blend of fruit from three different sources in the Yountville and Oakville appellations…”

And from the Winery tab here:
“…a blend of three different vineyards in multiple sub appellations in 2012.”

So nothing specific but not all from Oakville.

I would like to know this as well, brix at harvest would be good too.

The old world meets new world descriptor is interesting to me. So zero manipulation but the grapes are allowed to ripen longer? Or am I interpreting this wrong?

Hoopes is big, bold Napa cab. Haven’t had the 12 but previous vintages were well worth the price. Pretty good discount on this wine too. This is the kind of offering I email to my friends. “Look what Woot’s got today.”

Why isn’t woot.com shipping to Massachusetts? Our state law went into effect on January 1, 2015 for direct to consumer’s door delivery. So, again, why isn’t woot.com shipping to us? Check it out at https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter138/section19f (M.G.L. Chapter 138 § 19F) Let us in Massachusetts know about this, plz.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. C’mon, woot.com let’s get up and running for direct wine shipment to consumer’s doorstep in Massachusetts. The law is now in effect. Check it out at: https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titlexx/chapter138/section19f (M.G.L. Chapter 138 § 19F).

Did you read my post? Wineries still have to procure a license from the state. That will take time for processing. Then we need to work out things on our end. Patience please.

so, we just pinged our contact Lindsey Hoopes. her response was that she broke her leg and is in the hospital… may be delayed in getting these questions answered.

FWIW- I dig this wine.

Broadly speaking… Any concerns about shipping to the Midwest when it’s (Dr. Evil) frickin’ freezing outside?

Hi, winery proprietor here. The grapes are from Yountville and Oakville grapes, with a little St. Helena Merlot tossed in (less than 2%)… we are headquartered in Oakville is that is where most of our vineyards are but we are in the southernmost part of Oakville at the Yountville border. Some of the fruit is estate, some is sourced through long term contracts with neighboring farmers.

Brix depends on vineyard because we harvest at close, but slightly different levels, in each vineyard… but as a general rule you can double the alcohol and figure the average Brix at harvest.

As for old world meets new world, in my opinion, the Napa Cabernet “Style” tends to incorporate 90-100% oak in barreling. We tend to highlight the fruit, and use only 40% Oak treatment on this particular cabernet sauvignon. It is no less robust than cabernet in terms of fruit or structure, and it is far from jammy, but it is certainly less oak forward than many neighbors. So, the new world aspects involve picking California grapes at sugar levels that make California grapes unique in the winemaking world and we use old world clones generally for older world flavor profiles - but, our old world influences include limiting oak treatment, highlighting the fruit, reducing after harvest manipulation through other winemaking techniques, and staying true to the terroir by letting it shine through.

Check out Lindsay playing hurt! welcome!!