Houdini Vertical Wine Opener

Wine shower?

Uncomfortable.

[youtube=GySegJ0majw] [/youtube]

Here is a video of the foil cutter and wine opener in action. Easy Cheesy Lemon squeezie.

Bought one of these and it disappeared. So, I bought another… IT disappeared, so I bought… Wait a minute… Oh MAN!!!

[youtube=n8a6kWNv6Rs][/youtube]

For those like me that haven’t seen these in action before, here’s a video that shows how these style bottle openers work. It’s a different brand but I’m sure the action is the same.

edit: CowboyDann beat me to it. Oh well, mine’s a quicker and simpler video. :stuck_out_tongue:

i have the plum one, it’s AMAZING. I’ve had it for like 4/5 years & i still havent had to use the extra screw thingy.

That’s oggi, this is houdini.

Edit: you’re right Your video is a quicker shot than mine, and my model is slightly different. Same Manufacturer though.

Personally, I enjoy using a standard corkscrew. I find them very satisfying. I open a lot of wine at work and even though it takes a little bit of time, it makes the ritual of opening a bottle of wine feel more special to me. Also, this looks huge! shrug I’ll stick with my old one. I supposed this would be wonderful for somebody with arthritis, or maybe a lefty that hates right handed corkscrews?

Came to the new Woot tonight and got smacked in the face with a bunch of political video adverts that ran automagically.

Yeah… I don’t come here for political ads. I come here to shop.

Run ads for tampons, run ads for jock itch treatment, run ads for any actual product you guys want to, but if you guys keep running political ads, the you will have seen me for the last time.

10 reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-Vertical-Houdini-Corkscrew-Black/product-reviews/B0041HPP9O/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
8 people out of 10 gave it 1 star

Seems that it is quite flimsy.
Good price though

More complaints, please! And let’s have some geez with that whine!

I use whatever is available to open wine. Screwdriver, fork, knife, pencils. I don’t mind swallowing a little cork.

Well I guess I don’t understand the difference, unless those are just different brand names of the same thing. The action taken looks like the exact same to me in both videos. And the one in the video you linked doesn’t look like this one offered at woot either. shrug

Just like different manufacturers make “rabbit” style bottle openers…

and in the very first post, too…that’s fast. I was going to pop in and say that can we all acknowledge the usual statement, leave it unsaid, and move on…but I was too late…oh well.

Need to stop typing now and go buy a purple one while I still can…or maybe not, after looking at those Amazon reviews. :frowning:

Can you give me more info on the ad(s). I need the exact company, preferably the link.

And Erik “Handcuff Harry” Weisz took his stage name from Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, so it’s okay, really.

Your comment is funny because apparently you don’t know that Houdini stole that name for himself.

That is a different product. That one does look flimsy. I can assure you that this one is not.

The videos posted so far also are for other products - although they are functionally equivalent.

Here is the only listing I could find on Amazon for this exact product. Only one review, the aerator is different, and it doesn’t come with the stopper:
http://www.amazon.com/Houdini-Vertical-Opener-Pourer-aerator/dp/B003NXADTY/

The link that bmrbill listed above also contains a video on how it works. It’s long, but if you’re on the fence, it may help you decide:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K35568.desc.Houdini-Vertical-Wine-Opener-Sealer-Aerator-in-Gift-Box

The one offered here is the same one I have been using for over a year. It is very solid and easy enough for my wife to open even the hardest corks. What separates this type from others I’ve used is that you are actually holding around the top of the bottle with one hand which provides a great sense of security. With most other openers, you need to use one hand to both hold the opener and bottle. Or you hold the opener in an area away from the bottle.

The other thing I really like about this one is that it lays flat in a kitchen drawer. It appears to be more low profile than the “Vertical Rabbit” model that is more commonly found since the handle on this one is straight and less bulky. In watching the QVC video, this aerator seems to require a very slow pour - slower than the Venturi. But in principle, I think it will work well.

I did find the foil cutter in this set to be useless. I have others that work much better.

I use a Venturi aerator, but I am curious to see how the included one performs. Given the expense of the Venturi, I hope it doesn’t perform as well. But the integrated stand appears to be much easier to use than the Venturi. I am guessing that it will be slightly awkward to store though.

I’m in for 3 as gifts.

I have one of these- the handle is very flimsey- I would pass if I were ya’ll.

I have a different version of the Houdini Vertical Wine Opener and I love it!

It makes uncorking wines very easy!

Also, what the lady did wrong in the first video is after you’ve uncorked the bottle, pull the level all the way down, grasp the base, and pull up. It will grab the cork and pull it off of the corkscrew.

Re: This isn’t wine.woot. Agreed 100%. C’mon, Woot! Isn’t that the point of having several different sites?