HP 14" Intel Dual-Core 64GB Touch Notebook

HP 14" Intel Dual-Core 64GB Touch Notebook

So much for “factory reconditioned.” Critical error - no start menu. Restart is supposed to fix it, but doesn’t.

Well crap. You might check with HP to see if it’s something they can walk you through. Just make sure you register the laptop before contacting them.

Or, if you prefer, contact Woot Customer Service for a return. Or if HP can’t/won’t help you.

Seemed like a good deal, but I wasted my weekend getting this to work. At first seemed okay but kept getting errors when trying to download pending updates to Windows and what I assume must be various hardware drivers. I spent forever chatting with Microsoft support. They eventually led me through a download and fresh installation of Windows, but something still seems wrong. The fn keys along the top of the keyboard don’t work the way they work on my other HP laptop – they should control volume, screen brightness, etc., without holding down the FN key, but instead I have to hold down the FN key to get them to do those things. Very confusing and my kids (who this is for) hate it. I’m wondering if it works that way because the fresh Windows install displaced HP’s configuration. But am I going to spend another whole weekend trying to straighten that out?

If you’re up for it, contact HP to see if they can troubleshoot it. Just make sure you register the laptop first.

If you’re fed up with it and want to return it, reach out to Woot Customer Service. From a browser, use the Woot Customer Service form. In the Woot App, choose Account from the bottom navigation and then Support.

I was eventually going to load Linux Mint on this laptop. 64 GB storage and Windows 10 leaves only about 20 GB left and that’s before you install a single other app. There was no fix for the critical error and various “fix” attempts seem to make it worse. So I bit the bullet and dumped w/10.

Linux Mint worked just fine and, after installing about a dozen (free!) apps, including an “Office” type suite, net radio, image editing and more it used less than 20 GB, leaving about 40 GB of space. I also installed WINE to run a few Windows favorites.

So all is well and I enjoy the touch screen and the backlit keyboard.

There should be a setting in the BIOS that sets whether the top row keys are shortcuts first or function keys first.

(I’m personally annoyed that some laptops default to shortcuts, but that’s because of my usage relies on the function keys to function as function keys.)

Hilo, all. Grabbed one of these because it looked intriguing, cheap, touch and ok processor. Had a couple issues with Windows update fails. Finally gave up and installed Win 10 1909 from scratch. Cleared that up. My function keys do control the features without ‘shifting’, but can’t remember if I also added an HP drivers pack (Probably)
The 64GB thing. Slow and small. Buut… If you pop the machine open, there’s a slot for an NVMe type SSD. And an extra SODIMM memory slot. So I added 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz memory, and a 512GB SSD. (Using it for digital audio multitrack record, needed the space) Moved Windows to the SSD, way faster and roomier. But even adding a 120 or 240 SSD would really kick it up a notch. Works great for my projects. Touch is handy when running, too. But I did have to reload Windows. But wasn’t that bad. This machine was made August 2019, so not very old or ‘used’ at all… The upgrades did run most of $100, but I love the results. And adding a 4GB mem and a smaller SSD would cut that down a bit, too. (The NVMe is about 10X faster than the 64 thing. And the USB 3 ports are quick, too.) Yours, Stubat

1 Like