HP 14" 16GB Chromebooks (2014 Model)

Get this instead, if you need windows that is.
http://www.woot.com/offers/asus-15-6-intel-n2815-500gb-sata-laptop?ref=cnt_wp_19_6

http://www.woot.com/plus/calling-all-asus

While not HP, Woot has a couple of Chromebooks available right now as part of their Asus sale, including a model with 4GB of RAM. The Asus machines are pretty nice, and perform on par with the HP models. The company I work for is currently migrating to Google For Work, and as one of their I.T. staff I’ve gotten to play around with a variety of Chromebook models during this process. The Asus machines are my 2nd favorite 13+" Chromebooks (after HP), and my favorite 11" device (yes, even more so than the popularly beloved Acer c720).

The Nvidia Tegra K1 is a nice processor for this platform.

As for performance, Nvidia showed benchmarks running the Tegra K1 against other processors common in Chromebooks up to now; namely, Samsung’s Exynos 5250 and 5800 chips, and Intel’s Celeron N2830. Not surprisingly, the Tegra K1 smoked the competition on WebGL 3D graphics, but it also finished ahead of the pack in a multitasking test, running Google Docs along with the Songza streaming service and a handful of other websites.

Some might wonder why all this power is necessary for web browsing. That was a good question two years ago, but Chromebooks—and really, Chrome OS—has grown a lot since then. The new generation of Chrome apps can run offline and store locally, making them much easier for businesses and schools to use.

And use them, they will: Nvidia showed us apps that take advantage of the WebGL JavaScript API to build gorgeous 3D graphics—whether it’s for an astronomy lesson, a game, or a vivid presentation. The Tegra K1 is even geared to run Google Hangouts smoothly, allowing up to 10-way conversation in HD resolution.

Have you ever used crouton, how well would it work on this model? Is 16GB storage and 2GB RAM enough for crouton? Thanks

Got one of these the last time they were up, just so I could jump on to the cloud on a larger screen than on my phone, and have a keyboard (as opposed to my iPad). And yes, Google Docs has improved to the point where you can write a book draft on it, which I’m doing.

I liked mine so much that I recommended one to Mom the next time it came up. I explained to her that it ran Chrome OS, and how this may help her synch stuff between her newish smartphone, the Chrome, and the Cloud. She also just mostly uses it to derp around on email, but she also loves to watch movies in bed (NetFlix and Amazon Cloud Services, both of which run on Chrome), and the Chromebook has much better WiFi pickup than her iPad, and doesn’t need to be propped up (ie she just leaves it open on her lap as opposed to having to hold it with her hands).

The next time I’m over there, I’m going to show her how to do a visual with Google Hangouts. My bro lives overseas, and usually relies on FaceTime, but he apparently now has access to Chrome/Android devices and the connection seems better.

So yeah, do your homework ahead of time and know what you’re getting and WHY. If you know what you want, you’ll see that these are a great bargain.

I’ve never installed Crouton on a Chromebook, so I wouldn’t know. Getting the Chromebook into developer mode was super easy, and enabling usb booting was also fairly simple, but I didn’t do much beyond a few initial tests before putting it back to factory mode.

Agreed about Google Docs… it’s gotten much better.

I am also writing a book draft on GDocs. Specific question for ya: what has been your experience copying into Word when it’s time to edit and format, or are you going to avoid that all together?

Thanks for the response. I want to pick one of these up, but I want to be able to play around in both Chrome OS and Ubuntu and switch back and forth easily- this crouton thing seems pretty cool.

What app are you using for the final book formatting, as in something like inDesign? Or are you publishing from a Word document?

If going through inDesign, you layout person may prefer ASCII or RFT text, as there is less trouble from embedded format commands.

I can’t find the hp stream 8 on amazon for $149. where is it there?

I use Word, then create my eBook file using Mobi Pocket Creater that is mostly WYSIWYG. It’s an ancient program that requires I have IE 9 (!!!) running on my computer. I’ve formatted and published a few novels this way. Since they are nothing but words, this method works well. A quick spin through Calibri turns the PRC file into a eBook file that plays nice with B&N, Kobo, and the rest.

I may never need a different method based on my individual publishing needs, but I wonder if there will be any unforseen artifacts once I copy and paste a manuscript that has been created in GDocs into Word. FWIW I started by creating a templete in GDocs by importing something I had created in Word.

Best of luck with your novel!

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Windows-4G-Enabled-Tablet/dp/B00NSHLUFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423183840&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+stream+8

Dang it!

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Windows-4G-Enabled-Tablet/dp/B00NSHLUFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423183840&sr=8-1&keywords=hp+stream+8

You can always continue to use Microsoft Office, just use the web-based online version. I do IT for a living, did an experiment to see if I could go just a chromeboj=ok for six months. 98% of my needs were met and I couldnt be happier.

I had a Samsung Chromebook and it had a sim port with no internal parts. My understanding is that it’s cheaper to build one chassis and put different internals in it than it would be to make a chassis without the place for the SIM. My SIM port had a permanent rubber placeholder in it.

Thanks for your effort for me but I thought you were referring to the other Hp chromebook that has life time 4g data with it, sorry thats why i couldnt find it for $149.

Purchased in Feb 2015, factory reconditioned. Love the Chromebook simplicity. However, after 5 months, - of course after the 90 day warrantee the 8, I, L and . keys no longer work. Makes it very hard to communicate on it.

Bought a factory refurbished Chromebook in Feb 2015. Love the Chromebook simplicity. However, after 5 months - of course after the 90 warrantee period, the 8, I, L and . keys no longer work. Makes it hard to use.