HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebook with Free 4G

I don’t know why this would matter except that HP/T-Mobile might care, but does anyone know if you can put Chrome-OS into developer mode and still use the free internet?

Sure, Egypt has the internet… but that doesn’t mean he/she does. He said he can’t use the internet and I don’t know anything about his circumstances, so I take what he said at face value.

Obviously he used the internet to post here, but maybe he’s at a friend’s house or something.

To clarify: he would need internet access somehow… WiFi is fine, using the LTE part is not required. (The only thing the free 200MB/mo of LTE is for is to let you check email if you’re stuck at an airport or some other place that has T-Mobile LTE but no free WiFi.)

My only problem with this read is that it was written over a year ago. Not that it’s negative or anything, but Google just made a huge change in the way it does Google Docs, Spreadsheets, and even Drive. In fact, since this Article was written i have since started using Google Docs and Spreadsheets over Microsoft Office, and I own the Premium 2013 edition which includes like 12 services that I don’t even use lol.
I’ve been waiting on a deal like this, but never thought I’d find one sub $300

Any chance you can rip Chrome out and put FreeBSD or Linux out? I know many of these have locked down bootloaders, is this one of them?

You can use AT&T instead of T Mobile, however not for free. Your carrier should read the device either as a tablet or a mobile hotspot ($10 or $20 on AT&T). Here’s a link to Google’s instructions and that you can use a carrier other than T Mobile and/or Verizon Connect to a mobile data network - Chromebook Help

Does Woot stand behind this “factory reconditioned” product for 21 days, or is the customer on his own if it arrives defective?

[MOD: If it arrives with a defect, email support@woot.com for assistance. After 21 days, contact HP.]

If you can put the laptop in Chrome OS developer mode, you can install linux inside Chrome OS using crouton.

So if I have wi-fi in my home I’m good to go with this right? My 12 yr old wants a laptop. She’s obsessed with minecraft and youtube. Would this be a good deal or no? Help

this carries a 90 day hp warranty

I was excited to see 2 years free 4g. Then I saw only 200MB per month. I may exceed that by just checking YouTube every so often. So my advice is buy it, if you find the Chromebook to be a good deal. The free 4G is not a great deal and should play no more than a minor role in any buying decision.

It says eligible for shipping to Hawaii, but no joy at checkout. Was da deal???

[MOD: Apologies. We misstated the shipping. We can’t ship this to AK or HI.]

I dont know of any that are locked down to a point you cannot load linux to them. Just google ChrUbuntu and you should find something. ChrUbuntu is the most common flavor of linux for chromebooks. I have done it on both a Samsung and a Acer Chromebook.

I dont see what’s the big deal with it only having 200MB/month. I would assume everyone has mobile hotspot capability on their phones, so if you really want to browse, suck up the data from the phone.

Anyway, it only has HSPA+, which is T-mobile’s last generation of 4G.

For YouTube it would be great, but as far as I know there’s no ChromeOS port for Minecraft, so this’ll be no go for that.

I thought so too. It’s only 200mb. I can go through that in a few seconds.

How do you play videos?
I understand there’s no VLC for Chrome OS.

CNET review says it has Ethernet port. But Woot specs don’t mention Ethernet. So does it have Ethernet or not?

[MOD: Our offer does not have an Ethernet port.]

Will this connect to home Ethernet network with DLNA?

[MOD: Chromebook doesn’t support DLNA]

Where does the sim card go on this chromebook?

When traveling internationally, can I swap it out for a local sim?

Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don’t burn through 100 mg per party.

3. iTunes capable?

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

6. How much bloatware?

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!