HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G

I was thinking about doing a dual boot with Ubuntu. I should have mentioned that earlier. Thanks

I wooted this back in July, and I’ve been really happy with it. It’s held up well under heavy usage from my kids. We usually use WiFi, but the free 3G/4G has come in handy several times when they needed to do homework in the car, etc, and the T-mobile sign-up was truly hassle-free. The soft-touch finish is cool and draws comments, and the turquoise color isn’t showing any dirt or wear.

I disagree. I had no previous experience with Chromebooks, but I found it very easy to set up Google Cloud Print to the printer which is attached to my home PC via USB.

In case I’m not big on the ChromeOS, I decided to look into this information for the same reason.

This seems to be the go-to tear-down guide for those of us who are never satisfied with what we’re given:

I’ve got a networked printer and had no trouble setting up Google Cloud Print. It’s pretty cool actually. I can be out at the ranch 20 miles from my house and print things. They’ll be waiting for me when I get back home in the printer tray.

I got two of these a few months ago from woot! We really like them. Performance is great, and I like everything about it except the display is a bit washed out. Colors are dull. I’ve made the mistake of editing some pictures on it, only to find on other devices then then looked too bright. But I don’t regret it, as 95% of what I want to do on a laptop format is accomplished with this. Good keyboard and size overall, and 4GB RAM plus 32GB SSD is hard to beat at this price. I have a white one and my wife loves the turquoise model.

My MIL likes to play candy crush and bingo online. Will she be able to do that with good speed on this?

HP Chromebook 14-q063cl (32GB Snow White)
Support Page
Maintenance & Servicing Guide
User Guide

HP Chromebook 14-q039wm (16GB Ocean Turquoise)
Product Support
User Guide

HP Chromebook 14-q029wm (16GB Snow White)
Product Support
User Guide

HP Chromebook 14-q030nr (16GB Coral)
Product Support
User Guide

Excellent thanks, that’s about as good as a reference as you can get.
I still don’t understand why the chromebooks seem to go out of their way to keep you from upgrades. Because they definitely hide the RAM and SSD. It’s like they must be subsidized by Google in some way to purposely keep you from easy upgrades to run Ubuntu or other flavors of Linux. Hardware wise this is a nice little tablet for the money especially after upgrading the SSD to 128gb for about $65.

Retired so would use for browsing, 4g in Oregon woods, and old late 90’s games that have become public betas. Question is would this run said games, off line, since I am sure they would fit easily on 32 g drive?

I posted my question but have experienced lack of response before, so since you invited, do you know how this would handle running old 90’s games, off line, stored on hard drive? Also any idea if you can purchase extra data in monthly amounts? Ok, this didn’t work. Ment to send it directly to Riprsoul.???

Hard to answer the first question without specific game titles, and you should be able to Google for those in the context of ChromeOS to get an answer. But the Chromebook concept in general runs against loading and running stored programs as that leads to viruses, compatibility issues, etc. that they’re trying to avoid.

Extra T-Mobile data can be bought as needed or through a monthly subscription. But it doesn’t roll over at the end of the month and the subscription prices aren’t any lower at most levels so the subscription route didn’t make much sense in my case.

This runs Chrome OS, so I don’t think there is any direct support for old DOS or Windows games. You might be able to find an emulator for Chrome OS that would allow you to run the game inside the emulator. Maybe DOSbox?

I’d suggest trying Google with Chrome OS and the title of the game you’d like to run…

Like the previous 2 posters said, this will likely not run those games. Chromebooks do not run standard Windows/Mac applications.

What software comes loaded ?

In for one, chose turquoise since my hands get dirty a lot. Saw this early but didn’t have a chance to order until now so missed on the 32gb one. dang. Was waffling a few weeks ago when they were on Moofi and waited too late.

Question: saw a comment, if I get an unlocked phone can I switch the sim card to a phone if I find myself with no service on my cell? Happens as I switched from Sprint to Boost and while it’s great having unlimited for $40/month there is NO ROAMING now.

Thanks for replying. For what it’s worth games are Battle Zone 2, outrageously ahead of its time, and Total Annihilation. Makes me wonder if any laptop with new Windows OS will run them. I’ll look into the beta site to see if I can find out. Thanks again!

IIRC, nothing but Chrome OS, plus links to cloud-based apps.

Bought this one awhile ago and I highly recommend it. It’s extraordinarily fast, easy to set up, and generally just a spiffy machine for everyday use. The free 4G is an added bonus for the few occasions I want to use it where there isn’t WiFi.

The only con is the screen - it gets the job done, but the resolution is your standard 1366×768 - lower than a lot of phones even.

I never thought peach was a good descriptor for this – not orangey enough. A dark coral, maybe. Definitely not in the brick family. And not Georgia Red.

I do love the color, it’s cheerful.