HP 15.6" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Ultrabook

**Item: **HP 15.6" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Ultrabook
Price: $699.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=HP 15.6" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Ultrabook)

[Search Google](Google 15.6" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Ultrabook)

Ugh, is this any good? I want to buy a nice touchscreen laptop for my grandmother, and have no idea which way is up!

Way to creep me out with the write up, guys.

Just purchased this laptop less than a month ago from Amazon and am loving it!

Mine has 2 SSD’s and 12 GB Ram. This one really does have a Thunderbolt port that I use with the Blackmagic Mini Recorder.

The only thing it lacks for me is the number keypad on the right. I miss that a lot.

If your Grandmother has small hands, it will be great!

This might work! She is a carny, after all… like circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

PCMag.com calls this Ultrabook “excellent”

Read and watch this “very good” review over at cnet

Yuck. Ultrabooks don’t weigh 5 pounds and don’t come with a traditional disk drive. Plus anyone who buys this will have the distinct thrill of dealing with both Win 8 and HP “support”.

Read a few reviews on Amazon. Good news is the hard drive is easily replaced.

The good/bad news is that one review says the hard drive uses SATA2 while another review states the hard drive uses SATA3.

Does anyone know for a fact which speed interface the hard drive (not msata) uses?

Dear Lord, it is worse than I thought. SATA 1 speeds for the hard drive. Verified by HP’s own manual.

I think this laptop is a steal for the price. $700 + $150 for 2 years of warranty is fantastic. But not so good when I have to pay another $200 for a 256GB mSATA card for full speed.

I wanted this one too. Great screen and thunderbolt. :frowning:

as you’ll see here in the “ultrabook” section http://www.bestbuy.com/site/laptop-computers/ultrabooks/pcmcat259400050000.c?id=pcmcat259400050000 Ultrabooks indeed DO come with traditional HDD, unless you’re willing to shell out more cash, i think this is good deal for what you get: touchscreen 8gb memory, and a 3rd gen i7, i’ve have 2 Hp’s in the past 7 years and haven’t any problems with their support

Can you post a link to this? I find it incredibly hard to believe that a modern laptop would be operating at sata2 specs, much less sata1…

What a weird computer … I’ve never seen a model combine so many cutting edge features with such a bad CPU. On the plus side, we have an IPS touchscreen, Thunderbolt port, Beats audio and SSD. But the entire computer is driven by a PUNY i7-3517U, which has a very low Passmark of 3743. That’s i5 territory, and about half of most i7 laptops I’ve seen. For example, Woot recently had the Toshiba P875-S7102 with an i7-3630QM (Passmark 7758) for about $500. This has nice window dressing, the innards are on par with a $320 laptop.

ps - I’m so shocked by the low Passmark score that I suspect it’s a typo on someone’s part.

Processor is the only one thing which is stopping me from hitting “add to cart” button.

:frowning:

I think it’s an erroneous omission on HP’s part. If you look at pg 10 the manual, it states that the SSD uses a SATA3 interface. Before that, it indicates that the HDD uses “SATA.” My guess is that it left out the “3” by mistake. After all, I don’t think it’s possible to have different interfaces for the HDD and SDD using the same hard drive controller.

I’m pretty sure the HDD uses SATA3. If you look at pg 10 of the manual, you’d see that the SSD uses SATA3. One drive controller cannot run SATA1 simultaneously with SATA3 so both must be SATA3.

Plus the “tech” specs on that page aren’t overly technical. I sort of assumed they were just saying “hey, casual user, it’s SATA!”. Which is really not even necessary to say.