HP 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop

In a nutshell: Quadcores are slower than most DUALcore processors in Benchmark testing.

Why? Because most software is not coded for multithreading as quadcores require to be efficient.

Here’s a decent article on this…

http://askville.amazon.com/quad-core-processor-compare-contrast-dual/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3605085

So, let’s talk practicality:

At the moment, a Dual/Duo core will outperform a quad core in just about any benchmark test. This is simply because the quad cores don’t have faster processors than their Dual counterparts, and the programs they use to test aren’t threaded programs. The dual cores can also be overclocked more than the quad cores with less cooling required. The two intel quad core chips have processor speeds of 2.66 and 2.4, where the dual core x6800 is at 2.93 before overclocking.

Right now, there are just a handful of programs that will use multi-core technology - Nero and some adobe products, for example. These will blaze under a quad core and leave the duals in the dust.

You will also see much greater performance when multi-tasking with system-hogging resources. Like watching a DVD while rendering a video.

On the horizon, there are a few games that will support multiple cores. There’s one out right now, in fact, called Supreme Commander, which is supposed to use as many cores as you throw at it.

So…this now leaves you to wonder “which one do I want/need”?

Sadly people use benchmarks for everything. They dont matter.

Thanks! I actually have to catch up on errands that were put off yesterday so I doubt my undivided attention will be an option. Not that I really have such a thing when the kids are awake…we’ll give it a go again and hope for better results.

This one bench marks out at almost twice as fast as the ASUS I bought off Woot about 2 weeks ago for the same price…and this one has a stand alone graphics card!
My 10 year old HP still works, but it is getting pretty slow.