HP 17.3" Full-HD AMD A10 Touch Laptop

Makes sense. My first Gaming PC in the 90’s was AMD and it rocked. When Alienware was brand new.

I don’t know if this helps (see link), it’s a similar processor, but Toshiba laptop. I’m sure the MB chipset is the same, but I don’t know if it would necessarily use the same network components.Either way there is not much out there regarding Linux support- especially considering this is really new AMD stuff- might be awhile.

I am really close to buying this just Laptops are tricky things and I don’t want it to die since it’s been refurbished 90 days later.

Does anyone know if you can add a 2nd HDD to this laptop? I’d like to keep the 1TB HDD and add a SSD to this as the primary drive…what I mean is does this have 2 slots for 2 drives to be used at the same time. I realize that the Installed drive can be swapped for a SSD.

Does anyone else own this exact Model?

You cannot install a second internal hard drive. You can swap the 1TB drive for an SSD although accessing the drive on this particular model is apparently a real pain because there is no access cover.

That sounds like a Deal Breaker :frowning:

I briefly had an HP laptop with the same shell and promptly returned it.

The touch pad would get stuck under the bezel

a screw randomly fell out and I never found it.

Forget about upgrading it. You would have to take the whole thing completely apart just to get at any components.

Took it with me on a trip to a coffee shop in a laptop bag and the shell showed immediate signs of wear.

I ended up getting a more powerful Lenovo that cost less and I’m much happier with it.

here is the manual for it. it lists the various chipssets that it MAY have …

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04929142.pdf

Looks like this model has an Intel Wireless-AC 3165 or 3160

This one comes with a 90 Day HP warranty.

I wouldn’t say changing the HDD out is difficult- but it is unnecessarily tedious. You have to remove the optical drive (which is easy), some covers on the hinges to get to all the screws (I think a total of 28 screws when all said and done). Someone who has worked on laptops (or someone who is very careful) can easily do it if they take their time. The good thing is that it is explained in detail in the maintenance and service guide. I don’t get why it has to be so complicated to change out a hard drive, when they could have easily designed it to be more user accessible. For those who want to have the 2 drive option, if you don’t need the optical drive, there are companies that make kits where you could convert the optical bay into a hard drive bay with a caddy. http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=600

If you go this route, clone your drive, and if you’re able to make the bios select the SSD you installed as the 1st boot device, then you never have to take out those 28 screws (just the 1 screw that holds in the optical drive)

The manual below will show you how to remove the back and replace the HD.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126

Which Lenovo that is the real question.

@gak0090: what sort of speeds do you get with a drive in a caddy like that? Is the interface to the CD Drive full SATA with same speed as the main drive? Thanks

What model of Lenovo costs less and is more powerful? Does not seem possible

So…ummm…mine got here today! Fastest Woot delivery for me to date.

For anyone wondering, I’m only two hours in on this thing but I’ve launched Rocket League and Portal 2 @ 45-52 FPS on medium to high settings.

This was my biggest concern with this purchase and I’m pleased. Everything else seems solid and fast. Backlit keyboard is a very nice bonus. Screen is crisp and the touch part is very responsive.

That’s impressive. Mine hasn’t shipped yet and is estimated to arrive on April 4th.

It’s weird, mine says it’s preparing to ship as well, but here I am typing my reply on it to you.

Oh, cool, maybe I will be surprised.

Just got the shipping confirmation today but it actually shipped on friday. It’s getting delivered tomorrow so that april 4th date must be a place holder.

Terrible. It looks great on paper, but I had issues with it from the day I received it. Firstly, the battery doesn’t last anywhere near as long as it was claimed. If I’m lucky I get 2 hours. It burned through 10-15% battery life just booting up.

The wireless kept randomly disconnecting, and I had to contact support and have them reset the BIOS for it to even boot up properly. And finally, what’s with the processor? It can’t run even an average game to save its life, I can’t even imagine trying to do anything advanced like animation on the thing.

All it can do without hiccups or freezing is surf the web, and work as a word processor. If that’s all I needed a laptop for, there are far better and cheaper options.