HP 17.3" Full HD i7 TouchSmart Laptop

I did some digging. Looks like the “what’s the difference?” questions came up before on woot, including someone pointing out the mismatch of screen resolution on HP’s website. This was said:

So TL;DR, this M7-J010DX laptop indeed has a glossy screen (instead of anti-glare) and a larger battery (62Whr vs 47WHr).

It also appears the M7-J010DX also has the 2nd drive bay (you’d need a drive caddy with the SATA cable to use the 2nd bay).

Like always, woot please confirm if you can. :slight_smile:

I purchased this unit last October - same model. The screen is a glossy 1920x1080. There are two 4GB dimms. Had to replace both when I upgraded to 16GB. It does have a second HD bay.

I believe the “020” model is considered the “energy star” version of this laptop. It may also have the matte screen - not sure.

I’m not a gamer, but I’m very happy with this laptop. It arrived in like new condition, and I’ve haven’t experienced any problems.

WOOHOO! Thank you! We were hoping someone that bought it would chime in!

Alright! I think I have enough info now. I’ll most likely be picking one of these bad boys up in a little bit.

Thanks to @3eyore, @wheels0227, and as always @ThunderThighs for the help. Quality Post nominations all around! =3

Now, for those wondering why I’m so interested in the differences, I actually picked up a M7-J020DX last time it was offered. I really liked it, but I got a bit of a lemon on the laptop lotto and returned it. It’s debatable which of the two is “better” but I can live with a glossy screen in return for a bigger battery.

You’re welcome. Make sure you get a 17" bag from the side sale to put it in… you’ll feel very uncomfortable moving the naked computer around with your bare hands! (big, heavy, slippery, expensive). This computer is “portable” in the same sense that 19" televisions from 40 years ago were fitted with handles and, therefore, were also “portable” even though no one could lift them.

I also got one in October, and agree w/ Wheels. I’ve been very pleased with this laptop so far.

My intent at the time was to buy an SSD and install it in the second bay. I may still do so for gits & shiggles, but I’ve been perfectly happy w/ it as-is (also, inertia).

Random things:

• 17" is BIG. I own half-a-dozen laptop bags orphaned from work laptops, but I had to buy a new one to fit this puppy in.
  • I mostly forget that the touchscreen exists, but every so often it’s really handy.

I use this laptop with a port replicator from an outfit called “Warpia”…It is called the “Dock n’ Charge”…It works well and has every port you can imagine, including several USB 3.0 ports and two monitor hookups.

Laptop came today. Definitely better luck than the M7-J020DX I returned last month. Booted right up, seems to work fine.

For the nitpickers, I noticed the following flaws:

1. Small scratch on outer case, near edge. 1/2 inch long, hard to see.
  2. About 15 specks of dust in the screen. 3 of them are big enough to looks like black pixels, but all are around border and NOT near the center so not bad.

Overall it’s acceptable. Not delighted by the dust specks, but I can live with it for the great deal. And, no cracks in glass, no dead pixels.

I WILL say that the box it came in was in poor shape. It also shipped with one of the sound bars that woot was offering that I picked up. The box the sound bar and this laptop came in was huge, but didn’t have a lot of padding. The 2 boxes bounced around quite a bit during FedEx shipping. Nothing was damaged, but jeez it was scary. Careful, woot shipping dept!

Sorry for the shipping condition. Those shipped out of an Amazon Warehouse Facility (our inventory). I’ll pass your info along to the appropriate group for follow up.

I managed to install a fresh, from-scratch full reinstall of Windows. In fact, I found an legit ISO that takes it straight to 8.1, skipping that long Windows Update process. You just need your Windows 8 product key, which you get using a program like Belarc Advisor that sniffs out all the license keys on your PC. Write it down, you’ll need it.

It was tricky finding the right ISO. Plus I had to manually hunt down some drivers as I had some “unknown device” types in my Device Manager list that threw me for a loop. If anyone wants more info send me a message and I’ll point you the right way.

Oh, and I did this install on a shiny new Samsung 120GB SSD. So between the fresh install and the SSD this thing should FLY.