HP 17.3" Quad-Core Laptop

I’m leary of this list- when you compare passmark benchmarks- those Celerons that beat it are scoring more than 900 points less on passmark. For instance the Celeron 1000m has a passmark of 1815, while today’s processor A8-4500M has a passmark of 2718. The I3-350m passmark is only 1927. No benchmarks are perfect. Today’s 17.3 inch laptop is a decent deal for $350- the graphics on this laptop are definitely better than HD4000 graphics.

I think his review is a legit comparison for the dv6-6135DX. I’m not sure about this model shifting thing that you mentioned, but I did find this:

the A8-4500M performs similar to the Llano-based A8-3500M.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-4500M-Notebook-Processor.74884.0.html

Yep, AMD CPU’s are going to be slower than a lot of Intel CPUs. I don’t doubt that it is slower than a recent i3 in single threaded apps, but should stomp the same i3 when it comes to multi-threaded apps. Four slightly slower cores will still do more work in parallel than two.

This isn’t the kind of laptop one buys for very intense workstation type use. It won’t be great at ripping video, huge spreadsheets or advanced Photoshop as say an EliteBook 8770w, but it also costs about $2,000 less than one as well. For that matter it costs less than a current cell phone off contract, Surface RT, iPad 3/Mini and only $50 more than a Kindle Fire HD 8.9".

In that context it’s a pretty good deal, provided you’re looking for a 17" general purpose laptop. (Yes DO get the Square Trade Warranty.)

I bought this last time around. Was $20 less then ($329.99). It’s a great machine for the price!! Only WIN 8 sucks. Dunno why it’s $20 more now than two months ago when I got mine here on Woot??

I have a older toshiba with the AMD A6-3400M quad core which scored lower than this and honestly its pretty quick for what it is, really the only thing slow is the dang hard drive :stuck_out_tongue:

Can win 8 be scraped off and put win 7 on these machines?

Dealing with an HP G7 right now that’s only about 6 months old and never abused. It isn’t this exact model, but the body is probably the exact same. The tray’s cheap plastic has broken off where three screws attach it to the left hinge of the screen. Any movement of the screen pops the video connection loose now. A new plastic tray costs about $94 shipped. :frowning: The computer is/was great. The case is sub-par in my opinion. The replacement parts, a ripoff.

Bought this same one at Best Buy earlier this year. The Windows 8 is designed for touch screen and this laptop doesn’t have one, I never could get my microsoft mouse to work, even after reinstalling drivers, checking with microsoft… Finally said, not worth the aggravation, returned it on day 30.

I wonder what the Windows Experience Index Number for this laptop is.

4.5 graphics

Nobody would be delusional to expect that this would be a good workstation, unless they’re running solidworks or expecting it to edit video. running 32gigs of ram is silly even for a server.

I am using an asus lappy with almost identical specs. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-K55N-DS81-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Black/dp/B00B7K11MI

I have to say my machine runs pretty decent and the asus has good reviews on Amazon and Newegg. In terms of games I have run the latest Pro Evo soccer game demo and it runs fine. Not sure about other games. Other regular task also seem to run fast. Can’t see why this system would be much different.

Really?
it’s only .2 points away from my Asus i3 x44h K84L laptop!

I already Bought it because i believed it better than the other AMD Laptop I was going to buy.
Now here’s a question, if I just want to play like Silent Hill (2003-2007)/Minecraft/Dead Space 1,2,3, (1 and 2 are a charm on my current computer!). Will it perform better then the i3 or should i just stuck with INTEL. This is the 1st time I am buying AMD.

Was it worth the buy, should I have stuck with my older laptop?

I think he gave the wrong number. This is what my Windows experience numbers say for this laptop.

Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 6.7

5.9 Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.1
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7640G 6.6
Gaming graphics 3057 MB Total available graphics memory 6.6
Primary hard disk 182GB Free (439GB Total) 5.9
Windows 8

My lowest score is due to filling up the hard drive already with a win7 transfer from another laptop.

Thank you very much for clarifying.

I bought the $400 Triple Core G7 about 18 months ago. Loved it(W7)but the heat sink failed about a month ago and fried the innards… Had I not purchased a Square Trade warrantee I would have been screwed. Purchase with Amex and Sq Trade from now on. Better still, no more refurbs.

Well, I’ve been online for the last few hours with no problems Hurrah! And Win8 doesn’t seem to be a problem, yet.

But I do have one concern: yesterday day there was no tracking available, and today I was lucky the Fedex guy was able to get through the locked front door of my building and I was home to accept it, even though I was not expecting it.

3 years and 4 months later and this laptop is unusable. The screen is dead. 100 dollars a year? Was it worth it?

Not to me.