HP 2.2GHz Slimline Computer with Windows 7 Home Premium

Assuming there are four 1 gig memory DIMMs in there, then the memory and hard drive are worth at least a hundred, and the full OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium is worth over a hundred. Throw in the keyboard and mouse and optical drive and this is worth it just for the parts.

EDIT: OK, I see that’s it’s two two gig memory DIMs, which bumps the memory to around $80, and with the hard drive around $40, that makes it an even better deal.

But it’s worth noting that less than 2 weeks ago, Gateway had a quad-core desktop for sale for $350…
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-10451651-58.html

Note, if you read the specs, that this thing is even less expandable than most laptops: you cannot put more RAM in (it’s maxed out already at 4 Gb), it has only 2 drive bays, both full, and only 1 card slot available, which is a PCI Express x16: not bad, but as someone already pointed out, doesn’t fit a standard-size PCI card.

> Seems shady not to mention the company that manufactures the processors.

The Sempron is a single-core AMD chip somewhat better than a Celeron (maybe Pentium-M class) but not so much better that it would seem fast. Doing almost anything.

Running 64-bit Windows, 4 Gb is not as much RAM as it might seem, since 64-bit apps use more memory. And remember: the RAM is not upgradable.

This machine would not exactly uck-say, but you really shouldn’t expect too terribly much.

Would this mobo support a better (faster) processor?

Just bought three as work stations for home based business

Sorry, but no: an OEM copy of Windoze is worthless unless you intend to use it in the exact machine it was originally installed in. It even says in the EULA that if you change the motherboard (and nothing else), you’ll need to buy another copy.

Upgrade the video, HD and processor: same thing, most likely. It’s hard to know for sure exactly how much you can swap out and keep it running, but that’s the way the OEM license works. You definitely cannot use that copy of Win 7 in any other machine, unless maybe you have compromising photos of someone at Microsoft.

I don’t entirely agree there. The RAM is pretty outdated. Its value has only been recently bumped since DDR2 has become a specialty item due to DDR3. A year ago the two modules would have a combined value around $40.

The hard drive is run of the mill these days, weighing in a value around $50 brand new if a decent brand.

OEM copies of Windows should not be considered at retail costs, since they are tied to this computer indefinitely. By this I mean you cannot use the included key on a different computer even if this dies.

The parts don’t justify the cost here. However, the stability of using an HP assembled machine may.

All things considered it’s a decent deal for the price. It’s not a powerful machine, but will suit a family room fine. It should handle typical uses from web browsing to Netflix streaming just fine.

could we get at LEAST pc’s with dual core’s??? why would anyone buy a single core pc???

Ok stupid broke-college student question. If I managed to find a graphics for this computer, would I be able to play medium-level games (say things that came out at least over a year ago, generally older and not super shiny)?

DONT JUDGE ME!!

That’s a Socket AM2 motherboard, right? I know that some of them will take even Socket AM2+ processors if there’s BIOS support, so I guess my question is will this one allow a dual core processor to be installed after the fact?

I love the idea of a Lightscribe drive, but wish it worked with any CD/DVD. :frowning:

I’m going to answer my one question. Here’s the motherboard:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701270&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01852860/en_hk/c01701270/loc:1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=hk&product=4006351&lang=en

It supports up to a Phenom II Quad Core. Awesome.

No game playing at all. Just looking for an office computer that can run Office, QuickBooks, and other programs that Chambers of Commerce use. No serious video stuff going on. I’ve got a 5 year old HP right now. If not this one, where to look?

Yes (here’s HP’s motherboard spec page - you gotta love how HP provides comprehensive specs for their computers on their website).

But then the question becomes, is the power supply good enough to handle a better processor? And it’s only 220W, so I’m not so sure about that.

will this run sims 3?

Interesting link on the power consumption of most parts of this computer. Don’t think it is a real deal maker/breaker, but for those going green may find it helpful/interesting.

HERE

As long as you’re using it for just those things, this should be fine. Don’t try having 10 things open at the same time though.

Assemble your own. That’s the cheapest way. Get an intel i3 for $100, a decent graphics card for $100 or less, invest in at least 4GB of memory; it will set you back around $400 everything considered, but if you choose your motherboard/ATX case wisely, you can keep upgrading your baby for maybe the next 5 years, besides learnign a thing or two about computer innards.

I am replying via a HP Media Center desktop refurb I bought off of Woot a year and a half ago and have not had any problems with it. Had to get an extra 2GB of memory as it only came with 2GB, but it works just fine even with Vista. It has an AMD Athlon 2.60GHz dual-core processor if you are curious, plus a ton of other software including Roxio Basic, and was only ~$330.

No. Just no. For decent gaming, you need at least a dual core processor. Sempron and graphics/gaming just don’t mix.