HP A10 Quad-Core Desktop w/ 1TB HD

You really have a 50/50 shot in needing to buy another video card that passively transfers the sound via HDMI. In many cases, don’t have to have a HDMI port. Just get a DVI to HDMI adapter and you are back in business. The only thing I am iffy about is how AMD addresses this in their onboard DVI port. I have seen it go both ways. Some do and some don’t. Has anyone tried a DVI to HDMI adapter on this particular machine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186136

My bet, since it is AMD, is that it works since the legacy Radeon cards from 5 years ago do this. Worth it to check instead of buying a brand new video card.

Not a bad system for the price, but it is inferior to this other HP desktop that was recently on sale in a Woot side sale for $50 cheaper:

That might work, like you said it depends -and you might end up with an audio sync problem. It’s just silly that you would engineer this system with these specs and not include a MB with built in HDMI- that would have cost them maybe an extra 20 cents per board. It’s just poor product development.

It should here is how:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03512749&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5297072

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c03500676&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&contentType=SupportFAQ&prodSeriesId=5295962&prodTypeId=12454

DVI and VGA ports (Can be used at the same time)

Thanks

Why can’t you just do a DVI-D to HDMI converter?

How do you add the start button add on??

How does this tower compare to the levono thinkstation offered yesterday?

You can! The video pins for DVI-D single-link and HDMI are identical and DVI to HDMI connectors cost less than $3.

HDMI adds pins for digital audio and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) remote control signals. Many ATI Radeon video cards include a connector to route audio into the DVI connector (using the VGA pins).

Does anyone know whether this MSI MS-7778 Jasmine motherboard can send the A-10’s S/PDIF onto the DVI connector too? (there are no analog VGA pins on this mainboard’s DVI-D connector).

Edit: Doh! Same question was already asked.

azrag228 wrote:

@gak0090, agreed - that Woot Dell is a really nice system at a good price. 'Couldn’t build it for less with an honest Windows install.

HP’s technical specifications say no, but AMD’s Radeon Dual Graphics page says sort-of if your add-on video is an AMD Radeon DirectX 11 capable card in their HD 6000 series.

Edit: AMD goes on to explain that while both graphics cards can be active, AMD CrossFireX only allows monitors connected to the “master” graphics device to remain enabled. AMD recommends pairing the A-10’s Radeon HD 7660D with the AMD Radeon HD 6670 to more than double graphics perf.

I bought a computer identical to this one except with Windows 7 and 10 Gb RAM about 8 months ago for $500.

All I can say is I was extremely impressed with its performance overall. My only complaint is the integrated graphics. It doesn’t allow for much intensive gaming, but I’m not picky with how my games look; I just want them to run.

The hard drive gave out a couple months ago due to a manufacturing defect, but it was replaced for free. Customer service was nice and helpful, but it took about an hour on the phone to get it diagnosed and sorted out. Patience is always nice to have.

Everything works fine now!

Just understand that an AMD A10 is still well under an Intel i7 performance-wise.

Why? (serious question)
Also the one you suggested only has two memory slots.

gak0090 wrote:

Fair question - the two systems are very similar.

So it comes down to brand preferences, HP vs. Dell and the following…

HP v Dell:

• AMD A10 v Intel i5 (I like the i5)
  • 24 GB v 8 GB RAM limit (this might be a deal killer for gamers on the Dell but as a practical matter a non-issue for most folks)
  • DVI/VGA v HDMI/VGA video connectors (no adapter needed on the Dell to drive any new TV/monitor and carries audio over as well, good for HTPC)
  • 2 x USB 3.0 v 4 USB 3.0
  • Bluetooth v no Bluetooth
  • Have to burn your own recovery discs v included (nobody remembers/bothers to do this!)

Looks like a good deal, wondering if anyone knows whether this machine will support multiple screens. Trying to upgrade from my current machine.
Current Machine:http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-p7-quad-core-desktop

I have a small office. I currently use an HP with Win XP Pro and my server and network it to 5 workstations. I need to upgrade the server due to our “primary program” we use for business demanding more resources. I cannot upgrade my server any further on memory (maxed out at 2GB) The basics of this computer will be more than adequate. My questions it can I Network with Win8 or must I have the Pro version?

Depends on what you’re using it for. If you plan to add a video card and up the PS, might you not also want to boost the memory and have more than 5.1 sound?

With the Dell, you’re stuck at 8GB RAM max in the 2 slots and only 5.1. With the HP at least you’ve got 4 memory slots and up to 32 RAM plus 7.1 sound.

Sure, the Dell has HDMI but if you put in a video card, what are you improving?

This is a good, competent machine! I’ve been happy with it since I bought it here about 2 months ago. Good performance and relatively quiet. Recommended.

On the down side, I paid $30 more for it!

Yes, but your not guaranteed sound pass through, and if you do get sound through the DVI to HDMI adapter you have a potential for video/audio sync issues compared to HDMI out off the MB