HP Compaq 2710p Core 2 Duo Business Tablet

what no dvd player? how are you supposed to use the dvd recovery discs?

Here’s a pretty good review:

I agree… and if you want a refurbished dell go to Refurbished & Overstock Laptops, PCs, Monitors: Dell Outlet | Dell USA | Dell USA

Dave
http://www.myspace.com/car4dave

This.

Well, maybe one could connect an external optical drive or do the recovery over a network?

Our creative director was out of town, and the lowly photographer had to do his best.

‘A’ for effort, then. Kudos! :wink:

I really wanted to know if this was a bad deal or not so I went on the Dell outlet website and they sell many single core tablets at this price and a tablet with the same specs as this hp would cost 950-1k. And also this tablet does retail for 1500+ and refurbs are 950. Some tablets that were 2.5k range werent that much better than this. So this isnt as bad of a deal as some people would like you to think. If you want a laptop for gaming and watching dvds then get a LAPTOP. If you want the ability to write notes on the fly and swivel the screen than this is for you and ISNT a bad deal.

it’s not all about clock speed.
why do all of these dim witted people feel the need to make false assumptions based on what little they know?
this processor is an ultra low voltage processor.
cache size, weight, heat, efficiency, and many others must all be considered.
amd is notoriously known for heating up and overheating compared to core 2 duo.

oh darn,
if only my school wasn’t going to give me one of these bad boys in about a week… :slight_smile:

I’ve been watching the press releases for the gigabyte m912 convertible netbook for a while now. I’m wondering if I’m better off jumping at this, as the m912 won’t be in the US for a while, if at all.

Anyone else watching the m912 have any thoughts on this deal?

You are not noting some differences here:

This is a business laptop made by Hp - Compaq brand, not HP. This means its going to be sturdier and better designed than an HP laptop intended for Home, e.g. Pavillion.

You also aren’t considering the processer: the turion in yours consumes more power and has higher wattage than the intel in the woot offering.

Yours also cost $100 more.

I wouldn’t say one is better than the other at this point, but its apples and oranges.

FWIW,

I’ve had HP-Compaq laptops, the nc6000 be precise. They all ran excellent (for what they were) and took beatings on top of it.

I’ve had HP Pavilion laptops too. (Custom dv6000, older pavillions.) They’re not as sturdy, and I had major heating issuse with the dv6000. The BIOS didn’t report the dual core processor temperatures to either windows XP or linux correctly and fans wouldn’t run right, heating up the keyboard and mouse pad to nearly painful amounts under normal usage. HP revised the BIOS many times, but never fully fixed it. The only OS that hypothetically would have ran the hardware at the right temperatures would have been OSX (which I am not saying I hacked onto that laptop, because that would be illegal :wink: ). I ended up scrapping that for a Powerbook.

Microsoft won’t allow OEMS to sell computers with XP pre-installed anymore. So the solution is they have to charge for a Vista Business license, and an XP license, pre-install Vista and give you the discs to install XP. I think Lenovo charges like $25 extra (over the Vista Business cost) for the XP license and discs.

NOTE: if you buy this, be sure to make a backup up of Vista BEFORE erasing it and installing XP! Typically the restore discs that come with a setup like this are only for XP- you have to make you own Vista restore discs.

My HP pavilion dv6000 is actually en route via FedEx to HP right now.
I’m not too sure what the problem with it is, but from what the HP agent on the phone told me it sounds like a motherboard problem.

I guess it could have fried from the heat that it creates… Sometimes from normal use it would get so hot that I had to turn it off and let it cool off.

But I do have to say, HP was very helpful and friendly over the phone… They might still have my business in the future.

Also…

has anyone ever tried to do any CAD work (mechanical or circuit design) on a tablet PC? Cad work on a small laptop screen is painful in general, but I wonder if that might be offset somewhat by the active touchscreen capabilities of this.

(FWIW, i would be using this only for occasional mobile CAD work.)

Wacom is using this tablet model to tout their technology:
http://www.wacom-components.com/english/news/20070810.html

In for one!

I’m gonna upgrade this with 4 gb of ram for $60.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=897331

ok now I really want one. Thank you for the post Kmartind. And Mihalis, where the heck have you been??? :slight_smile:

This is so tempting, I’ve had my eye on this for a while, and though I’m more interested in the new one of which details were released today, for this price, I don’t know, I’m very tempted.

I couldn’t pass this up. In for one.

Here’s another good review and Q&A (through the comments section) from someone who really likes this (similar) machine:

http://www.jkontherun.com/2007/10/jkontherun-revi.html

The comments section might answer some of your questions about the 2710p.

Yeah, that’s a great review, just keep in mind the one here is slightly slower and doesn’t appear to have the webcam.