HP Compaq 8000 Elite Intel SFF Desktop

Compaq Elite 8000 Product Support

Compaq Elite 8000 Product Support Hardware Reference

Time to learn all about the processor

core2duo? That’s old. But COMPAQ??? That’s really old. Didnt’t hp buy them and retire the name before y2k? If the target market for this is people who remember “compaq”, they don’t need to set the performance bar very high.

[MOD: I see the this model docs dated 2011]

HP doesn’t list this as available with 5400rpm drive? Sounds like a cheap hd option added by re-furbisher.
Product overview http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4065894&docId=emr_na-c01926344&docLocale=en_US

The Core2Duo line may be old, but this processor isn’t exactly pokey. It runs at 3 GHz, possesses 6 MB of L2 cache, the 1333 MHz FSB supports DDR3 RAM (not DDR2, like previous C2D processors), the motherboard offers four SATA connectors, one PCI-e x16 is available along with two PCI-e x1 slots and one old fashioned PCI slot just for grins.

The onboard video is GMA 4500 with available display port connector. This model will even support a Blu-Ray reader/writer according to the manual.

Additionally, the SFF motherboard and PSU can support certain models of Core 2 Quad processor also with the 1333 FSB / DDR3 support.

Oh, and the SFF board will also support up to 16 GB of DDR3 RAM.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04287230

While this isn’t a 4th Gen. Core i3, this little computer is no slouch by any means. This model has much to recommend it and for anyone looking for a second computer or a unit to build up an HTPC this is as good as any machine for building on a budget.

I think I’m going to use one of these to build up an HTPC for my kitchen. Should keep me company while I’m burning dinner.

Hi, I’m not really familiar with HTPCs, is there a reason that this little box isn’t good as is? Isee that the HDD is small but is there anything else you’d do with this?

Woncoolone…where are you on this one?

Awesome post, greatly appreciated!

*I removed the quote to save space.

The specs on this are so old I can’t recommend it for anything other than “baby’s first Linux” computer. Seriously, I built a computer with this cpu in… 2007? So long ago I can’t remember.

Is the bay count correct on the specs for this system? Looking at the pictures it looks like it has two 5.25" external bays, but instead the specs say one 5.25" and one 3.5". For that matter, it looks like a regular (half-height) 5.25" optical drive in there, which is not a “slim” by any reasonable definition.

It seems either the description is wrong, or the pictures are. One way or the other they don’t seem to match.

[MOD: Specs updated to remove “slim” from the external drive bays.]

The E8400 has a passmark of 2172- which is basically the same performance as the Dell quad core laptop on woot today. I have used these for W7 mediacenters with no issues. No stutter on any codecs. It also streams perfect from my HD homerun network cable card. Spend $50 and put a 120GB SSD in it and you’ll be amazed how responsive this old system can be.

Would this be okay for a kids Minecraft computer?

HP carried the Compaq name until at least 2012. I worked for Compaq, which was owned by HP. Compaq was purchased by HP around 2001, but HP kept the name for awhile.

You do have a display port on this, which can be adapted (or display port to HDMI cable) to HDMI. The onboard video is pretty weak though. I would try it and see how well the onboard video works. If it seems choppy, consider a low power 1/2 height PCIe videocard, something like this for $33 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557

The GMA 4500 video is pretty old. You can put this card in there for $33 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557 and it will play minecraft fine. This is more a multimedia card than it is a gamers card, but minecraft is not all that demanding. This card is $50 is a little better for gaming http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121886. You are restricted by the power supply as to how powerful a videocard you can add to this. This will never be a gaming rig, but with this videocard there are a fair amount of games including Minecraft that you will be able to play.

I refurbish and resell computers. Core2Duo’s, especially computers such as this one, are GREAT computers still. Toss in an SSD, and they boot up and are usable in the same amount of time as a brand new i5 computer.

The trick is the right combo of parts.

SSD + low profile vid card + 8GB RAM and this thing is a screaming bargain. Most of the parts can be found used or on nearly any cheap online retailer to bring the price down even more.

These are also business class PCs, so they are built to be tough.

Now, that said, for a little more you could also get a used i-series computer. Heck the Dell Auction site has i5 laptops all day long for $220ish. (as with any PC though, toss the HDD and get an SSD, it makes all the difference in the world).

My desktop computer is still running a C2D E8400 and it rocks. With 8GB DDR3 and an AMD HD6570 GPU and a Samsung 850EVO SSD as the boot drive, it is still a darn good machine. I even do some video transcoding that’s no slouch. I’m not a gamer, so I can’t speak for it in that regard, but for my use it is more than adequate.

Tp-Link TL-WN881nd for wireless 20 bucks @ Amazon. Comes with both size plates. 20 inch monitor on woot under computers 80 bucks. Crucial .com for memory. No tools needed for working on this computer. good fun and they work fine… might have expired microsoft key, but MS will correct that.