HP Core 2 Duo 17.3” Entertainment Laptop

2 hours and 40 minutes new, according to the review someone linked to at PC Magazine.

Unless the battery is replaced with a new one (I think some refurbs would almost have to have this done), then the performance will be a bit lower now, but not terrible.

The review is dated about six months ago, and HP has since refreshed their notebooks.

I would expect to get more than two hours out of it if I was careful not to stress the CPU much.

Maybe you missed the newer AMD-based 17" HP notebook on Sellout a couple of days ago :slight_smile:

puleeese …what would it take to add bluetooth ? … 3 bucks ?

If you’re referring to the issues with bad solder, blank screens and/or strange displays, overheating GPUs, and machines that won’t boot; that is supposedly only a problem with integrated Nvidia GPUs. That shouldn’t be an issue with these because they have an Intel GPU.

That said, I sure as hell won’t be buying anymore HP products. I’ve already stripped the motherboard and reflowed the GPU twice on my dv2500. This is a known manufacturers defect and HP refuses to make this right among their customers.

The integrated video cards aren’t that bad, pending on what your doing. Only time I notice much of a difference is when you are playing games (can’t use full specs and sometimes skippy) and when using graphics programs.

http://imageshackz.com/imgs/h/o.jpg

I bought this system last year; it overheated and bricked 4 months later. Caveat emptor!

HEAT HEAT HEAT.

AVOID AVOID AVOID.

I’ve seen lots of new 15.6’’ laptops with core i3, 4 gb DDR3 going for $500. This is an old processor and a refurb. Not exactly a great deal unless you’re desperate for a 17’’ to check your email on and need it fast.

I just want to thank everyone here, I’m in the market for a laptop and your posts are giving me a few need-to-know facts.

sad to say but im still goin for a macbook

are laptops okay to leave on over night for a few days for pesky big downloads? I feel silly just asking that but I’ve never had one before.

I do it all the time with mine, and my laptops last 2-3 years.

I am Not endorsing Sony at all, In fact - Other than The Vaio i am about to mention, i do not even like sony. LOL

BUT - I have to say. this VGN–N130G is really amazing.
I got it free - it had a crushed screen so free was was the only way I would take it. It was crushed in a fit of rage from teh previouse owner who thought the system was horribly slow ( Turned out he had just ruined the OP system and it needed a reload. LOL)
Sony wanted 680.00 for a screen - I got one off eBay for 35.00. NEW! I was told By Sony that it would not work, went in easy as pie.

I maxed teh memory out and added a 200 gig HD. set it up for my wife and turned it one for her. It has never been turned off. That was over a year ago!!!
It has been rebooted but never off. It is connected to the house current of course and it never leaves the house.

some day i will open it up and do a good dusting but I have to say that this is a well put together machiene here. No kidding, it’s a pretty quick little booger too. does everything my desk top will do except game -

anyway - my two cent’s. if you are having over heat problems with Hp’s - try a sony. You will be amazed.

I never leave my laptop on over night and its 8+ years old. You could get the FREE version of Download Accelerator Plus (DAP) DAP - Download Accelerator Plus - Download Manager - Speedbit

It will continue your broken or paused downloads, so you don’t have to worry about losing anything if the power goes out.

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

17" display and only 1600 x 900 resolution? If you are planning to use it for any semi-serious photography you will wonder why none of your photos are sharp.

How does one photograph with a laptop?

I have this and it lasts maybe two hrs of surfing or email. anytype of video eats it up real fast.

10/100 Ethernet and no Bluray… Pfft.

I own one and love everything but the speakers.