HP EliteDesk 800 Mini Desktops

HP EliteDesk 800 Mini Desktops

Woot, in the future please provide more details about the differences between generations on these devices, it’s a huge difference. For those who are curious, the G1 is a 4th generation Haswell system, with DDR3 RAM. The G2 is a 6th generation Skylake system, with DDR4 RAM. Datasheets on both:

Edit: okay Woot is killing my links, take out the “s” on “https” and it should work. Also, I have the EliteDesk 800 G2 in the SFF size, it’s a beast in a small package.

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll pass it on to the computer team.

Would you recommend the G-2 at this price for everyday computing?

I picked up an AMD Quad core of this form factor from Woot about a year ago. I really like mine. The i5 G2 is much more powerful than the AMD processor I purchased, but the price is also higher. Even so, I would pay the higher price for the better processor and twice the SSD space.

Mine came with a 256GB SSD instead of the 500GB in these. I’m using mine as an HTPC and it works really well. I run all my FLAC files and movie content from a 4TB external drive hooked up to the USB 3 port. I was looking for small form factor and quiet machine. This fits the criteria for both well.

This would also be good machine for general computing IMO. Just hook a monitor or two to it and you are good to go. They are well built units and easy to work on. I took mine apart and put new thermal paste on the processor. (Not that I needed to), but I wanted to see how it was put together.

Note: I also bought the optical DVDRW drive that can be sourced through Amazon. It’s an HP part that attaches directly to the bottom of these.

If I didn’t have one already, I’d be all over this G2.

Highly recommended for the price.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I turned my SFF version into a compact gaming machine by adding a half height GTX1050 Ti and it’s lightning-fast. Definitely more than enough horsepower in Woot’s smaller version for everyday computing tasks.

Thank you!

I ordered three. I opened the first box and it only has one DisplayPort. This was advertised as having two. I have emailed customer support.

EDIT 3/15/2019: Woot Customer Service did a great job offering to pay for return shipping and issue a full refund, or allow me to keep the computers and receive a $50 refund per unit. I opted to keep the computers, and my credit card was refunded $50 per unit within a couple of days. Thank you Woot!!

I was able to find the “option board” that gives you a 2nd DisplayPort refurbished on ebay. I bought 3 for a grand total of $20 (shipping included) and all are working perfectly. You basically have to dissemble the computer and remove the motherboard from the case in order to remove the serial port and replace it with the DP option board. It attaches with two small philips head screws, no soldering or specialized tools required (although a T15 screwdriver is helpful. You do have to remove the CPU cooler when disassembling, so I took the extra step to use a special solvent to remove the existing thermal paste and then applied new thermal paste before re-assembling just to be certain my CPU is properly cooled. Once installed, my new DP was immediately recognized, I did not need to install any drivers nor configure anything, it’s plug-and-play. All in all, a fairly quick and easy process that even beginners shouldn’t be too scared of trying.

Anybody searching for the DP option board for this computer should search for:
HP 802681-001 SPS-PCA STAG-D DP Option Board DM15 SPS 832076-001

In the end, Woot gave me a total refund of $150. After buying and installing the DP option boards for $20 and an hour or two of my time, I came out $130 ahead and got exactly what I wanted. These are great little computers!

1 Like