HP EliteDesk 800G4 Desktop Intel i7 1TB

HP EliteDesk 800G4 Desktop Intel i7 1TB

1 Like

If what I understand about the Hexa-Core is true, which is that it has six cores and normal processors have four cores, seems to be a really good deal.

3 Likes

This processor has six cores, but each core can process two threads simultaneously so it effectively performs like twelve cores.

4 Likes

Right, but it’s two more than most iX processors which are quad core right?

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by iX processors, but this six core CPU will offer better performance than quad core processors of the same generation (Intel’s 8th for this unit) and older.

FYI, Intel is currently on its 13th generation of processors some of which can have as many as 24 cores, but those can cost as much or more than this entire system.

This CPU while a bit older is still a good compromise between price and performance while still remaining relevant for the Windows 11 era.

2 Likes

i3, i5, i7. Aren’t they usually quad-core?

2 Likes

Back in 2017 when the 8th generation of Intel processors was released that was true of the Core i3 and some i5 processors while higher tier Core i5 and Core i7 and Core i9 processors had six cores.

2 Likes

Gotcha. I have a hard time keeping up on all the technology since I left retail. I get the general gist of it, but I can’t always keep track of the specific details.

3 Likes

Processor technology has changed quite a bit recently. AMD makes CPUs with 8, 12 or 16 cores with each core processing two threads simultaneously. So an eight core CPU can process sixteen threads, the twelve can process twenty four threads and the sixteen can process thirty two threads.

Meanwhile, Intel has designed new CPUs with a combination of Performance Cores and Efficiency Cores. Performance Cores tackle heavy computing tasks like gaming and content creation while the Efficiency Cores handle lightweight tasks like email, web browsing and background processes and use less electricity than the Performance Cores.

4 Likes

Part of me doesn’t want to get into it, but is that similar to hyperthreading? That’s what I always pictured when people talked about two threads being processed at the same time.

3 Likes

Yes. That’s it exactly.

AMD calls it simultaneous multi-threading (smt) because the name “Hyperthreading” is a registered trademark of Intel.

4 Likes

Well, mine arrived yesterday but I’m missing the keyboard and mouse listed “in the box”… but there is some paperwork that says to contact a company with problems, so I’m sure they will square me away …:crossed_fingers:
I’ll report back with additional info.

Did any other purchasers have an issue??

1 Like

Sorry about that. If you have any issues, reach out to Woot Customer Service.

2 Likes