HP ENVY 15.6" Quad-Core Laptop

Looking to replace my Lenovo with Dual-Core AMD Phenom II N660 3.0GHz processor and Radeon HD 4200 graphics…anyone know how this Envy would compare? My Lenovo is getting unbearably hot on the left side after 20-30min of playing basic games. Would like to be able to play something like WOW on at least med. settings with no lag.

Note: I haven’t tried the following yet, as I haven’t received my new system yet. The info is part of my pre-buy research.

Yes to your question, but it is not as straight forward as before. This is due to M$'s requirement for Secure Boot for new Windows 8 systems. Systems now need UEFI. UEFI is firmware that takes the place of BIOS. UEFI based systems started to appear in late 2008. I believe upgrades of older systems do not have this same requirement.

Most Linux distributions now support UEFI, but not all support Secure Boot, yet.

Also some drivers may not be available. Most likely the finger print reader will not work. It appears it is being worked on, but no time frame was available.

Because of secure boot, some firmware setup settings may need to be changed.

In February the Linux Foundation released a Secure Boot system. This was done for a number of reasons, including the facilitation of dual booting.

You will need to review your distribution’s loading procedures. Some distributions have chosen different ways of implementing secure boot.

I would not take this for free.