HP ENVY Intel i5, 12GB DDR3 Desktop

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

HP ENVY Intel i5, 12GB DDR3 Desktop
Price: $419.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 Business Days. (Wednesday, Feb 10 to Monday, Feb 15) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-envy-intel-i5-12gb-ddr3-desktop-42) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=HP ENVY Intel i5, 12GB DDR3 Desktop) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=shop&q=HP ENVY Intel i5, 12GB DDR3 Desktop)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
10/7/2014 - $499.99 - Click To See Discussion (19 comments)

1/2/2016 - $479.99 (Woot Plus)
1/2/2016 - $479.99 (Woot Plus)
12/21/2015 - $479.99 (Woot Plus)

Need support? Check out the suport page

CPU Benchmarks

On a HP Refurb do they generally drop a new hard drive in it?

NO - not unless it was defective.

Overall, not a bad deal vs. building one on your own. The biggest problem with these are the cheap power supplies they put in them. If you do any upgrades to these, you will most likely have to replace the power supply.

Looking at upgrading from my old HP Refurb. Already have a nice power supply to support a nice video card. This processor should be a nice upgrade from my old AMD Athlon II X4 645. These probably don’t come with a OS reinstall disc though, right? I imagine i’d want to drop an SSD in as the primary.

300W?!? Does anyone know if these are standard sized, easily replaceable? This would be a really good gaming system with a better video card, but the 300watter needs to go!

This would be possible, right?

1. Put an SSD in the second 5.25 slot (using an adapter?)
  2. Somehow move the Win10 OS over the SSD
  3. Fill up the 3.5" slots with large SATA drives

HP Pavilion 700 series desktops use a typical ATX power supply with the dimensions of 5.9" by 3.4" by 5.5" - standard issue for most mid-priced makes and models. It’s easily replaced by many mass-marketed PSU models - e.g. Corsair CX600 or similar.

Probably not. But I just literally did this on a Pavillion desktop this week. My Samsung 850 Evo SSD came with cloning software that moved my OS over to the new drive.

Imalso curious about the mobo in this. If it has SATA III or not specifically

This is the real beauty of Windows 10. You can also find these instructions directly from Microsoft. Here’s the easiest way to do this if you are starting fresh with this computer:

1. Set up the new computer as it comes out of the box and register Windows 10 with Microsoft. Don’t load any additional software (games, etc.) just yet.
  2. Go online and download the Media Creation Tool for Windows 10 (Pro 64-bit in this case) directly from Microsoft onto a USB thumb drive.
  3. Shut down the new PC and replace the HDD with an SSD. Insert the thumb drive into a USB port and boot up the PC.
  4. If the PC doesn’t boot from the thumb drive and run the Media Creation Tool, you may have to go into the BIOS as it is booting and set the boot order to the USB first.
  5. The Media Creation Tool will download and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto your SSD. Since your PC was already registered with Microsoft, your license is stored in your BIOS and will transfer to the new SSD. If there are any drivers missing (there shouldn’t be) you can download them directly from the HP support website.
  6. You can now install any software/games you want. Also, if there is internal space you can reinstall the original HDD internally as a second drive or buy a cheap USB 3.0 case for it and run it as an external drive.

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. In for 1, should be a nice upgrade for me when I get my video card, power supply and a SSD installed.

was this a factory refurb? i can’t find it in the description. probably there but i don’t see it.

Good info, thanks.

Why is it important not to install any additional software? Does the process actually create an image of the drive?

I bought a open box/refurbished Zenbook a few years ago and it didn’t come with recovery media and the recovery partition was wiped out. I contacted Asus and they refused to send me recovery media for “security reasons.” They wanted me to send in the laptop for “repair.” It was out of warranty and they wanted like $70. As a result, I’m not too fond of Asus customer service.

Anyway, is there a way to create barebones recovery media in Windows 10?

Only “Refurbished” is specified. I assume that means manufacturer refurbished but you never know.

Although I think this machine is passable for a decent machine, I think the price is still too high considering it is refurb with no frills. For this price, in this condition it should either come with a monitor or pre assembled with SSD & Blu-ray.

Chances are no, it is not manufacturer/factory refurbished, otherwise it would specifically say so.

It’s refurbished by a 3rd party and carries a Woot warranty.

We will specify Factory Reconditioned when appropriate.

When starting with a fresh machine, I always recommend following the steps I outlined. You must first set up your PC and register it so Microsoft will have your PC and its copy of Windows 10 registered on their servers. Only then can you remove the original HDD and install the SSD. Running the Media Creation Tool then reinstalls Windows 10 and re-registers your PC with the new SSD (it can do this because the license is kept in the BIOS and not on the drive). It does not reload any extra software that you purchased outside the Windows App Store and put on your original HDD, so why bother to install all that stuff twice(?).

Microsoft provided this option so you wouldn’t have to purchase/use any drive cloning software. Your new SSD will be set up right the first time with a fresh copy of Win 10.

If you don’t remove the original HDD then your PC is just going to look for a bootable drive and not give you the option of running the MCT. That’s why you physically replace the HDD with the SSD first.

Anyways, Windows 10 does provide you with the ability to create recovery media on a USB thumb drive or CD/DVD. Just click on the Action Center icon, go to All Settings, then to Update and Recovery.

In the name of full disclosure, I also use and like the Paragon drive cloning software. It works very well about 90% of the time, except I ran into issues with HP 15-Series laptops that would not allow me to boot from the CD/DVD drive to run the Paragon program and clone the drive. A royal pain, and several hours lost trouble-shooting to no avail. Following the steps I listed above turned the trick without having to use the cloning program.