HP Extravagenza

What is the difference between the HP Pavilion 110-314 and the HP Pavilion 110-290?

They seem to have the exact same specs, yet the 290 is 40 dollars more expensive.

Anyone know if the 18.5" would play Roblox and Minecraft? We need a computer for our son.

I keep glancing at computers on here to use as a hides under the couch gaming computer… not for anything necessarily hardcore but for sims3 (with packs), civ, sims4, some random stuff on steam/origin… I’m super bad at knowing if the graphics cards are ok (only thing I really check them against is http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game%20Help:TS3%20System%20Requirements )but the two laptops in the house don’t really like sims3 with packs, any world size in civ beyond like the smallest ones and even have some lag with Audiosurf…

Would any of these HPs work for us? I don’t want to shell out 1k+ for a “gaming rig” but wouldn’t mind getting a cheap computer and maybe putting a new card in it.
Can you even really get a cheap computer and put a new/additional card in or did manufacturers start making that impossible?

Several years ago, I called HP to ask if I could upgrade one of their computers my father had bought me, and they said opening the computer would indeed void the warranty. I don’t know if that still holds true. You might consider calling their sales or tech support department to ask.

I’ve actually been looking at the 500-277c i7 specifically. I know some will say that you can build a computer with an i5 that will rival this but I’ve tried a few builds on PC Parts Picker and I can’t really come up with anything close to this for this price.

Only real issue I guess would be getting a decent graphic card and PSU. I was looking at a GTX 660. I don’t plan to play anything like a FPS but I’m interested in it for playing games that are only released on Xbox and PC (I have a PS4). Also interested in playing some indy games on Steam (7 Days to Die etc).

This SEEMS like it would be a good machine for that but I haven’t built a PC in years so I’d be interested in hearing others thoughts.

I did just this…
Picked up a refurb HP Quad core from woot (3.5ghz). Added more memory (16gb total, better Graphics Card, SSD and a power supply. It has been ripping since (3 years now). It plays the latest Battlefield and DayZ just fine. I think my total with PC purchase ended up being like $600-ish?

I think for something like a SIMS game, one of these with the non integrated graphics card would do just fine out of the box though. I think worst case scenario though, just add a $100 graphics card and maybe a better PSU ($50) if you don’t wanna gamble with the provided 300w supply and you should be fine.

I am an HP fan,in fact,HP are the only brand of computers I will buy.Having said that,I am NOT bashing HP,but I continually see posts on here similar to yours asking about gaming and Video Card upgrade possibilities.I work in tech retail and I can tell you that most of HPs current desktop line,with the exception of SOME of the higher end Envys,come with a 300 watt max. power supply.You will have to find a video card that will get by on that 300 watt power,which will be a low end card,probably no better than the pcs original integrated graphics.ALSO,the current PAVILION line,including most of the ones listed on here,if not all,are SEALED with NO pci slots available,even if the motherboard has an open pci express slot,access to it on the case is permanently sealed.Also,several Pavilion models and all the "110" series come with an EXTERNAL 90 watt power supply(like a laptop),so again,NO upgrade possibilities.My best advice is to research each model youre interested in on HP`s website.Hope this helps.

I see the usual FUD about these machines is getting thrown around again. If you’re going to listen to anyone in these comments, listen to “indetrucks” because they actually own one and have modified it themselves.

I’ve done nearly the exact same upgrades to mine (power supply, graphics card, and solid state drive) and it has been running perfectly for close to 2 years now. Nothing is “sealed” on the case or motherboard, unless HP recently decided to start putting their computers together with JB weld. Your warranty on a refurb is only 90 days, so maybe wait 3 months to upgrade if you’re really worried about voiding it.

If you don’t want to upgrade anything, go with any of the models with the AMD processors, the A10 specifically. The integrated graphics on these APUs is still way better than what Intel offers. My A10-5700 could run Battlefield 3 on medium-high settings at a good framerate out of the box, which I found rather impressive.

I should also mention that this advice only applies to the tower PCs in this sale. I doubt the AIO models can upgrade much past maybe RAM. Don’t expect much from those.

All in all, it’s a good buy if you do your research. It’s a breeze to upgrade if you know how computer guts work, but for the love of god, TAKE MEASUREMENTS. These cases are definitely small and not every power supply or graphics card under the sun will fit.

Go to a store and look at the backs of the HP Pavilion models and see for yourself…NONE of the expansion slots are removable on most models…this is also true on many of the newer Dells…I work in a tech store and I know what I`m talking about…and opening the case voids the warranty on any pc from any manufacturer. This is a link to a typical Pavilion 500 model…note:external power supply and NO open slots on case. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04058837&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=6529686&sw_lang=#N1024

So you do know specifically how decent of a gaming machine the HP Pavilion 500-277c could be? Assuming I CAN drop in a new graphic card (thinking GTX 660 unless you know a better comparable card for about the same price or less) and a bigger PSU?

According to HPs website,that is one model which although the motherboard does have a PCIExpress slot,it looks like access to it is sealed by the case...here is the link...you will note under the Case button,no mention is made of an external PCI slot...It MAY have one,but I work at a store where I sell computers all day long...and I know from looking at them everyday,most of these new pcs have no access from the rear of the cases…Hope this helps. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04074753&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=6743749&sw_lang=#N1206
This link will show you what the back of most of these newer Pavilion models looks like…note the slots covering the expansion slots are NOT removable… http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c04100691&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4158&product=6743749&sw_lang=

It says this:

One PCI Express x16 slot (Gen 3.0)

NOTE:Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

Which is why I wondered about this particular model.

In May 2014, I bought the Factory Reconditioned HP Envy 700-230QE Desktop, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz Quad-Core, NVIDIA GeForce GT640 4GB, 32GB DDR3, 1TB SATA, BD-ROM, Win8.1

Motherboard died six months later, was not in warranty anymore. HP wanted $299 to send it back for repair.

Most regrettable purchase ever.

I see what gljin40517 is talking about with the back of the case…nothing a Dremel couldn’t rectify. If I’m willing to open the case and void the warranty, I’m willing to cut a rectangle hole in the back.
I’m personally right on the fence of buying that 500-277c…That’s a decent price for an i7

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. 12GB of Ram and a Quad Core i7, you can’t really build a pc with the same Specs for less. I’m just hoping someone with experience can tell me how much room we have for a new PSU and Graphics Card.

I looked at several HP Pavilions at work today and I noticed that the ones with an external power supply brick have the backs sealed,as I mentioned earlier,the ones with internal power supplies come in cases with the usual removable slot covers.

It’s a small box, so be wary of massive custom coolers for your GPU. I was able to get a ~8" card to fit. It looks like you might have room for another inch at best. Be aware of where the supplemental PCI-E power connectors are attached on the card. If they’re rear-facing you might have less room to work with. Newegg generally has measurements and good photos for cards they sell.

As far as the power supply goes, try to get the most standard ATX size you can get. The dimensions of mine: 3.39" x 5.91" x 6.30" (H x W x D). The depth measurement is the one to pay attention to (it tends to vary more than the other dimensions), because if the body is too long, its connectors may butt into the SATA cables for your optical drive and make installation difficult/impossible.

My advice would be to buy the PC first and measure before committing to any upgrades. Just know that you absolutely CAN upgrade it (and you won’t have to use a freaking dremel. it has blanks on the rear, i promise.)

And just so everyone is clear, all the warnings that Mr. Best Buy Expert has been giving about sealed cases apply to a grand total of ONE computer in this sale, two if you count the sold out one- the i3 equipped HP Pavilion 110-314. Check the specs on the Woot sale page. If the computer you’re looking at says it has a 300W MAX power supply, it has blanks on the back and it has a PCI express x16 slot. End of story.

You`re an ass.