HP Hexa-Core Desktop

Agreed. HP- Never again. Bought HP laptop and desktop. Both less than 2 years old. One won’t even turn on, other one needs new motherboard and maybe HDD. Meanwhile, my Lenovo laptop from 2008 still going strong.

Not even close to the truth. I’ve had HP’s for years and there is no problem installing anything from anyone. “Even their recovery disks won’t install”?? Really??

this is simply not true, if you remove all of HPs stuff it makes it harder for thie tech support to assist you in the event you want their assistance. And even in this case the tech would simply have you reinstall the tools they need to assist you…

For the longest time I hand-built my systems with some of the best and latest technology, but lately, consumer-grade pre-built systems are actually quite reasonable. If you’re not trying to play Crysis (is this joke still good?), this is actually one hell of a great deal for power multitasking. No, you’re not going to be able to play 5 Steam games at once, but if you’re like me (3 monitor setup doing tons of mostly web multitasking), this is a rather highly acceptable option. Decrapify, or just reinstall vanilla Win7 (or Linux), and you’re fine.

Full Disclosure: I’ve been running on an HP woot purchase for a couple years now. They’re really actually quite useful.

I agree. I recntly restored a Win 7 HP laptop using the restore partition and It went without a hitch. Why the restore? Because the owner thought that by running all the crapware, trialware and teaseware that comes with it would be cool. Running 3 antivirus programs renders a PC unuseable.
As far as removing the crapware, just go to add/remove programs before you do anything else and remove all the garbage. Google programs you are not sure of before uninstalling them.
I also recently did this to an older HP DV4000 Win XP laptop with the same trouble free results. For those with problems with HP or restoring or are incapable in removing crapware, just go for the $800 Dual Core Mac laptop on the main Woot page. You can’t fix them yourself when they break, but the guys in the white jackets can.

I think this looks like a good deal. Im a gamer, had an Alienware before, but now I use a high-end VAIO laptop for gaming that actually works like a charm, so im not really in the market for a “gaming” desktop at the moment

I have a HP desktop that I got a few years back and I have nothing bad to say about HPs quality of hardware. I dont use this desktop for gaming but casual use, and its been great. If I had more money on hand, I would definitely look into getting this computer. Maybe replace the power supply, thats the only problem I ever had with my HP, I have to upgrade my power supply.

Anyways, just vouching for HP, I don’t think their products are poor quality, I think they have a bad rep from more advanced computer users, but in my experience I would buy another HP and simply upgrade parts in the future.

Careful with Cnet…a few weeks ago, they snuck in a search engine called Babylon into my machine which despite all the fixes on the internet proved to be extremely difficult to get rid of.

1. Looks like a really decent system at a fair price. If you looked at the Sunday flyers you might get pretty close on a new system but it would depend on the week.

2. 90% of folks who don’t game would find this system to feel snappy. After removing the crapware.

3. Two handy tools anybody who understands what “Uninstall” means should be using: CCleaner & Decrapifier… and SlimComputer is good as well. Google them and download from Cnet if you don’t trust other sites.

EDIT: @karrana makes an excellent point: when installing ANY software, especially FREE software, UNCHECK all the other free software they want you to install at the same time!

1. First thing to do with any PC/Laptop: find and run the “Make Recovery Disc” program so you don’t have to pay HP $30 or whatever if you need them.

2. Plug all your electronics into Surge Protector power strips and they’ll last a lot longer. This includes your counter top microwave and when you go to the coffee shop or library with your laptop.

You can legally download all of Microsoft’s operating systems from their partner Digital River. Here is Windows 7 link. Just download the version that corresponds to the key you already own.

Does anyone know if this will run 2 monitors?

Ah medicore AMD crap. If it was an i5 or i7 might be interested.

LOL,so this time it’s the AMD processor !

Yup, has a DVI and HDMI output. You can run two computer monitors

Hexa = 6. This just means that the computer can process 6 different things at the exact same time. Most programs don’t offer support for this yet, but if your are running more than one program, you will take advantage of this. It is an advantage. Windows 8 I believe now takes advantage of 8 but I may be mistaken. This deal comes with windows 7.

TL. D.R. Hexa = 6 and this is good.

You can so long as you either have an hdmi adapter or a monitor that supports hdmi. Keep in mind some monitors have what is called display port and it looks similar enough to hdmi to get mixed up, but it is a rectangle with a slanted angle vs hdmi has the two slanted sides.

I purchased a refurb HP from Woot several years ago. It was a fantastic deal and it served me well. I put in an evga Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 and it ran games rather well… for a while.

A few years later, I tried to install an evga Nvidia GTX 560 ti classified. It simply wouldn’t turn on. I met all the minimum requirements for it to run, the problem was that the crusty old HP BIOS didn’t support something (can’t remember what it was).

Just a word of advice to those who think the support will last indefinitely on this system… it won’t. It probably won’t last much longer than it’s initial release.

I agree with the comments posted after my previous comment about the computer … sure it can be “fixed” BUT I am not getting a computer I have to “fix” immediately after purchasing it… It should come in perfect operating condition and cause no frustration out of the box. Things happen after a few months of use - that I understand :slight_smile: However reformatting, reinstalling, etc straight out of the box is not right. I have a 12 years old clunky IBM desktop which serves as a back up hard drive nowadays, and despite of its age - and the abuse it had to face - it still runs :slight_smile: out other desktop is Asus and it is 4 years old. It also runs great … and a new lenovo laptop, which feels a bit flimsy compare to old IBM s but still no problems so far … I have seen too many blue screens of death on this machine and a former HP laptop with a toasted motherboard … no more HPs for me …

I have some bad news for you. If you think the need to remove bloatware constitutes not working and ready to go out of the box than you’re never going to be able to buy a new computer from any manufacturer ever again. Your only option is building your own but that isn’t exactly good to go out of the box either…

I wish I wasn’t broke :(. This is the kind of rig I was looking for- something that I could play newer games on and potentially upgrade.

Yes, it runs two monitors quite easily.