HP Pavilion 17" Intel Touchscreen Laptops

I doubt at this price point it would have a second drive bay. If you don’t need the DVD drive, that can be converted to a 2nd HD bay using a caddy like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Optical-Drive-Universal-12-7mm/dp/B004XIU4T2

just make sure to measure before ordering to know whether you need the 12.7 or 9.5mm bay

Can you defeat the touch screen? I prefer my tried and true keyboard.

I have a kid that plays minecraft. Would this laptop work well w minecraft?

I’m aspiring to learn coding, mostly R, Python, maybe Java… I’m assuming from some of the comments above that this is not a good machine for that?

This would be perfectly fine for learning to code. The best thing to look for is screen resolution so you can have multiple windows open. Second one to look for is memory 8G is good. CPU speed with modern processors is not really an issue. It might take you 1-2 seconds longer to compile the code - and that would have to be pretty big code base. And none of those languages are compiled.

(I cut my teeth coding on punch cards in college.)

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-pavilion-17-3-intel-i3-2-1ghz-laptop-1?ref=cp_cnt_wp_8_5

I think this is a better choice for $20 more. It comes with windows 8.1, but you can update to w10 for free. It’s not touch, but really touch is not used by most people on a laptop (especially a programmer) The I3 processor i3-5010U is about 50% more powerful and has better graphics processing that what you’ll get on the N3700.

Regular Minecraft should play ok on this. Sometimes when you download texture packs (according to my son) and other higher level playing things you might get some lag with this processor. If you could do without the touchscreen, and don’t mind paying $20 more then I think this is the better choice:

It comes with windows 8.1, but you can update to w10 for free. It’s not touch, but really touch is not used by most people on a laptop. The I3 processor i3-5010U is about 50% more powerful and has better graphics processing that what you’ll get on the N3700.

ok, Thanks.

One question: I’ve read that minecraft needs a non-integrated graphics card. Does that make sense?

Minecraft will work fine with most current integrated graphics.
Integrated graphics are not like those from years ago- they are a lot better now. Don’t expect to do high-end gaming with integrated graphics, but low level and some mid-level gaming can be done on certain current processors with no problems at all. Minecraft is not that demanding graphics wise, I have installed it on a chromebook (installed via crouton in Ubuntu) and that processor only had a passmark of 1200- it was still playable. The laptop I recommended with the I3 is definitely the better option though, vs the one with the touchscreen and the N3700

About SSD:
-Is it easy to do on this laptop?
-What about the OS? If they don’t send you a disk, how does that transfer?
Thanks.

Thanks.

Certainly agree about the Chromebook aspect. I rarely use the laptop anymore.

Can the RAM be upgraded to 16 or 32 Gigs?

Don’t touch it. Seriously. I have an HP with a touch screen and often forget it is there.

Hey, thanks a lot for the info.

Hrm. I got mine today and it doesn’t appear to have touchscreen functionality. Did I get a bum unit or was this mis-advertised?

Should be touch screen. Here’s a link with instructions on how to determine if your computer has a touch screen.

There’s also some good info in this post on the HP forums.

If you discover that you don’t have a touch screen, you might want to start with HP to see how they might assist you.

If that doesn’t work, please feel free to use the Support form linked at the top of the page to contact customer support for assistance.

I let Windows 10 do some updates, and now it works!

Keyboard is NOT backlit. Sigh

Have you checked to see if there’s a way to turn it on/off?

You might contact HP to see if they can assist. If no luck there, Please use the Support form linked at the top of the page to contact customer support for assistance.