HP Pavilion 690-0020 AMD Ryzen 5, RX550

HP Pavilion 690-0020 AMD Ryzen 5, RX550

I have this computer. Did they yank the RX580 that’s stock on these and replaced them with a slower RX550, or is this a typo in the specs?

With that said, there are two upgrades I suggest: Replace the hard drive with a SSD and add more ram. A M.2 NVMe made a world of difference and out of the stock 8 GB, only 6 is usable because the 2400G’s APU.

2 Likes

So you recommend this computer as long as you replace the processor, replace the hard drive, and add RAM. Helpful review.

1 Like

Might I suggest also changing the motherboard and the OS? :wink:

1 Like

So do you want more RAM or not?!?

Probably wouldn’t hurt to get a better power supply. Maybe get a different case with a built-in screen that you could fold up and take with you like a laptop…
Actually, just get a chromebook.

The processor itself is fine; having a sole hard drive in a computer that’s marketed as a gaming computer isn’t.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+5+2400G&id=3183

The 8 GB is a single stick, at least, so it’s not “wasted” like it would’ve been if it was 4+4; just add a single 8 to upgrade to 16.

Stock is 400w, 80 PLUS Platinum. Being a HP, though, it is proprietary.

Are we missing anything else which should be replaced?

More RAM it is.

1 Like

You are correct, sir. There was a typo from the vendor. We’ve updated the specs to the RX 580, 4GB GPU.

I bought this same model # new from Costco just last week, $550 with extended 3 year warranty. It has the Ryzen 5 1400 processor, 16GB of RAM, but the RX550 graphics card. So basically the same processor, an extra 8GB RAM card, with a lower graphics card.

Different generation, different performance. On the Passmark:

Ryzen 5 1400 scores a 8369.
Ryzen 5 2400g scores a 9314.