HP Pavilion AMD 2.8GHz 5600+ Desktop Computer

Plus the CPU is a 2.8 GHZ AMD vs a 2.4 intel on the Dell, which also has a smaller HD, standard intel onboard video, vs onboard nVideo on the sellout comp.

For the price, i perfer the one here on sellout.

For people who own an older preconfigured computer ( HP, compaq, Dell, etc.), you’ll probably have nightmares trying if you upgrade to Vista. Those mass built computers were never intended to go past what they were sold with.

I’ve upgraded a 2005 & 2002 Alienware computers to Vista premium with only one hitch (the 2002, it needed a new video card). No crashes or bugs found. Note though, these were high end gaming computers built to last and be upgradeable.

In the future, this new, not rebuilt, HP probably won’t work with the next OS, but the people looking for a mid-range computer for a good price, this is a good deal.

how long does shipping take on an item such as this one?

It will probably ship FEDEX, so if it’s typical of the computer shipments, you can expect it to be delivered by July 21st. But your mileage may vary.

My friends’ family were happy when I bought them this same comp last time so they asked me to buy another.

This computer wouldn’t work for me, since i’m a hard-core gamer. Alienware is building a Duo Core Extreme for me, but its’ cost is 5 TIMES this one.

If your a “Hard-Core” gamer, then all you have to do is replace the video card in this computer. It seems like enough power for most of the games out there.

It’s a painless easy process to just install Ubuntu Linux and you’ll have everything you need.
I think you could actually boot this thing into Vista long enough to go to the Ubuntu web site and download the .iso file, burn a CD, then install Ubuntu right from the Vista desktop. Then reboot into Ubuntu, then never look back, Micro$oft needs to go away, they had their day, its over.

Hey,

I want to know, does the graphics card have dual monitor capability?

-Scott

http://www.sampleaday.com - free samples every day

I had the same opinion when XP came out, and waited a couple years to adopt it. Obviously XP is better than win2k (after the first service packs came out–definitely stable and reliable after the second SPs… a process which MS learned from before releasing Vista), and eventually I ended up with XP installed on all my home PCs (about 6 not counting a few experimental ones).
So this time, when Vista got past the RC releases I installed the MSDN versions (of Vista Ultimate) on 2 PCs to test it. That was in Oct. of 2006 (released by OEMs–the public’s first introduction to Vista–on their PCs the following January).
On my “normal usage” PC I still haven’t reinstalled it, and I use it daily. (On my hardcore experimental PC I’ve reinstalled it twice since then.) It actually has some noticeable advantages (finding manufacturer drivers with ease being one of them, easily connecting to wireless networks being another… 90% of the time anyway).
If you don’t like it, you probably don’t have enough ram (yes you need a minimum of 1.5GB to really run smoothly) or you’re just avoiding change. And there really isn’t that much change, just takes a little getting used to the few changes there are.
It’s the future, so like someone else posted, “Get used to it.”

Usually onboard video has only one video output, but this does have a PCI-e (x16) slot, and just about any PCI-e video card you have (or will purchase) will have a vga and dvi port (newer ones may have two dvi). You may need to use a dvi to vga adapter if both your monitors use vga cables (probably $10-15 for adapter).

This looks like it could be a decent deal if you have an extra monitor and just need a computer for general use. However, if you want to do intense gaming, you could spend a similar amount and get something with an 8800GT, maybe a smaller HDD, a decent Core2Duo, and ~2GB DDR2 RAM. PC5300 is especially cheap now-a-days. I just bought 2GB of it for my laptop for only $40, including shipping.

Love the LINUX delusionalists!
You act like Vista’s so horrible that it won’t even run (“I think you could…boot into Vista long enough to…”).
That’s moronic.
Yes, install Ubuntu, if you have nothing better to do with your time than learn a whole new Operating System that may eventually end up on a grand total 2% of the computers in the world.
MS’s day is a long way from being over, they have market share that every combined LINUX variant in the world will never achieve. That’s not going away. Wake up, look around. There’s reality, and then there’s what you wish (and your wishes are probably based on nothing more than what you read by other “I wish” people out there who are influenced primarily by a juvenile desire to pout in the face of reality).
Like it or not, MS laid the groundwork for dependence based on availability and functionality in all the right places (ie the corporate environments where money could be invested on PCs before the average consumer could afford to “play with” this new Personal Computer technology, yes, Mac was better, but they didn’t play their cards right and get their foot in the right doors). So whether you like it or not, whether you consider it bloated software or not, whether you wish reality was different or not, that’s how it is (and it was a wise business practice, which coincidentally contributed more than any other OS toward propelling the computer industry into what it is today).
Ubuntu works great for certain server applications (I have it set up as a remote backup server for several of my customers), but for typical daily PC usage, it’s a joke to think it’s worthwhile, unless you have a ton of extra time to look for software that compares to the functionality of software made for Windows, and nothing better to do than learn how to try to imitate the convenience offered by the dominant OS environment out there (and the tons of software made for it).
I get tired of listening to the “anti-establishment” idiots trying to push some third-world OS, and guess what, those people have been saying the same thing for 15-20 years, and still, using their promoted software results in a lack of convenience, and an increase of time invested figuring it out and looking for comparable software to use with it, and an increases in hassles in general. Nothing wrong with that if you have the extra time and energy it requires, I just get tired of hearing people trying to persuade others to ignore reality and acting like they’re in some elite group that has an answer that’s actually going to be better than using what the bulk of the world’s population is using.

hater: apples and oranges. i have both so i know.

8800gt still averages around $200, add the rest of the components and you end up with something that’s going to cost more than this package deal. If you like building your own, you may be able to pull off something close, but if you’re not into building and want a package deal, this isn’t a bad price.

last time i checked ebay, you can get an 8800gt for around $125, not $200.

You mean most of the current games out there. I’m looking 3 years down the road for games in developement now. Do you think game developers will stay to a low end duo when they can set games to be marketed to upper range duo as minimum requirements and mid range quad cores as perferred in 2010? By that time, the limiting factor will be the upload/download speeds of internet connections, not the computer running them.

I am typing this from the exact same computer that it listed, and it’s been great. To answer your question, I ordered mine on a Thursday night and received it the following Tuesday morning. Worth the $434.

windows 7 is based on vista, has the same uac pop up and more. get used to vista and windows 7 will be a breeze. i like vista over xp.

Have you checked the prices on cpu’s lately? AM2 sockets should be around for a while. You’ll be able to upgrade the cpu with a quad core if you want for cheap. 4 memory slots is good; you can get a dual-dvi radeon card for less than $50. I’m building a 5600+ x2 machine right now, and I really can’t duplicate this for the $$. Not when you include the OS.
And speaking of Vista, this lappy is running Home Premium right now on 2gb. Never crashes, is perfectly stable, Aero is kinda neat, it is as secure as possible, and it boots in a third of the time of XP pro. My new desktop will be Vista business.

Get a mac, buy all new software for it and get used to a new OS? For what?
Windows 7 is at least a couple of years down the road. Vista HP is just fine for now, with the right hdwr it’s much better than XP.

thats what i said i like vista over xp. and windows 7 is due out in 2009.

I’m not disputing that this is a good computer. With a good videocard, it will be fine for games to 2010 or a bit beyond. But my last comp was a mid-range alienware I bought from them in 2005 (EDIT: just BEFORE the duo cores came to market), and it’s not able to keep up with the games I like playing now. The next release of the online game I primary in is due end of 3rd quarter of this year and it’s minimum specs are beyond what my newest comp is capable of. This comp on woot can play this game, but the game designers’ plans for 2012+ are past the top end duo that AMD currently has. So now i’m going for a upper limit (not that $5000+ monster they advertise) but about $3000 or a bit more for something that will go out past the game I want to stay with. Yes, it’s alot of money, but my pay allows for it.