HP Pavilion Dual Core Desktop with 7GB RAM and 1TB Hard Drive

Probably a rebranded Core 2 Duo.

I agree, and this one is on a dead socket (LGA775. LGA1156 and LGA1366 are the new sockets for Intel. AM3 for AMD).

Lemme guess… the dryer stole the other GB of RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147198
A little more expensive (though I got it for $499.99 a few months ago) 1GB less RAM, but it has a Quad core processor and slightly faster CPU speed.

Not worth it. Not near as good as the one from a few days ago…which was actually priced quite well. For any decent use you’ll need to upgrade PSU and gfx at least, and that much RAM really isn’t even necessary. I run everything just fine with 4GB.

why would anyone want new when they can get refurbished and save lots of money on woot? oh wait I had that backwards…

my goal is to log on woot tomorrow, and see what the tally is on the “why 7gb” question. my guess is there will not be a logical explanation.

They’re perfect as external drives and secondary storage drives. If you don’t want to generate a lot of extra heat, they’re very good. As an external drive, they’re ideal because they don’t get very hot and their 5400rpm spindle speed doesn’t matter because usb is what bottlenecks the transfer speed. eSATA might be different, but I don’t have experience with it, personally.

As far as an OS drive, the 5400rpm ones are slow. I tried to use a caviar green as my main OS drive a year ago and took it out after a day. They power down when idle, so if you walk away for a few mins and come back there’s a delay as it has to get the spindle speed back up. Very annoying.

It least it has a 64 bit operating system. Would be even worse if it had a 32 bit LOL.

Why Only 7GB? That’s easy, 8GB would overrun the power source… It only has 250 watts!
That is why it does not have a Video Card OR a Sound Card OR a Blue Tooth NOR could it have enough power to run a wireless Mouse!
It is also the reason the hard drive is only 5400 rpm… That is as fast as the power will let it spin!

If it had 32bit then the 7gb RAM would be wasted.

thanks for the link! Any point in waiting for newer tech to come out? I’m in need of replacing my old weathered desktop, an all around performer.

I know :wink:

HP Pavilion Desktops usually get good reviews on Alatest
http://alatest.com/searchaction.html?brand=&keyword1=HP+Pavilion+&search_category=28

Man, am I glad I snagged one of the desktops from Tuesday night. Much better deal and only $80 more.

Wow! A NEW computer on woot!???

7 Gb ram, really?

As long as you avoid “slimline” models…but that goes for ANY company!

I’ll take the 7 buy another 1GB for $10 and get on with my awesomeness

Probably 3x2.33gb. Mobo probably designed for tri-channel as opposed to dual channel.